Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

changing the oil filter....

i changed my engine oil today but i couldnt change the oil filter as i had the wrong wrench and therefore put the new oil in......does the oil filter have to be changed when there is no oil in the engine? or would it have to be empty? should i just wait till next time i change the oil the change the filter?

if you take it off with oil in the engine ur gunna get covered in it :P

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    OEM oil filters can last 20000km but I generally do it at every oil change, if you are doing it at 10000km which based on the age of your car, I would suggest doing it...

Also, you mentioned that you can't remove the oil filter because of a wrong wrench.. Have you tried using rubber bends wrapped around it and then using your hand? if you can't remove the oil filter by hand, the filter is too tight.
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Yeh drain most of the oil into a clean container, replace the filter, then reuse the oil back into the engine.

If you cannot get the oil filter off, you can jam a long screwdriver into it and twist it off. Those filter wrench remover things can be a biatch to use if there is little clearance around the filter.
    .© ♪

Its a good idea to filter your fluid before you put it back in the engine if your gonna reuse it.

Just incase some foreign shit flies in it while its in the pan in the garage or somethin.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mojo02 View Post
    if you take it off with oil in the engine ur gunna get covered in it :P
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    Yeh drain most of the oil into a clean container, replace the filter, then reuse the oil back into the engine.
    Some one please tell me why you need to drain all/some of the oil which is in the sump before changing the oil filter???
    Last edited by DLO01; 19-12-2006 at 05:52 PM.
    Deano.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Leave your car off for a few hours. Come back and take off the oil filter with a plastic bag underneath. Some oil will come out, but not the whole 4L that you put it. The oil pump is not running when the car is off, so the amount of oil you lose will be what's in the filter and a bit from the filter mount piping.

You don't need to drain your oil to change the filter.

BTW, get a proper Honda filter wrench. It's pretty cheap.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Thankyou Mr Aaronng

No you don't need to drain your oil. Your oil is sitting at the bottom in your sump.
    Deano.

Member Array
    hammer and screwdriver = makeshift oil filter wrench.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by incoming View Post
    hammer and screwdriver = makeshift oil filter wrench.
    Unless the previous guy who did the filter change was stupid enough to use a filter wrench to tighten the filter.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    run the car for about 3-5min then take the oil filter off.
    it should be easier.
    but if its really that hard and you dont have a wrench then yeh just smash a screwdriver into it.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    using a screwdriver to get the filter off is all well and good, but you may end up like i did, when installing an oil pressure gauge.

i was tightening a brass fitting and snapped it off, inside the block, resulting in a very time consuming and annoying process of getting snapped off bits of metal out of the hole, not to mention running the risk of getting bits of metal into the oil gallery.

imo, get it off with a proper oil filter wrench, or leave it to someone who can