Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    midori Array
    Car:
    EK4

Ek Civic Immobiliser DRAMAS!!!

Once upon a time............ about a week ago.. my GF lost her keys to her 96' ek1, lost both black keys. we were only left with the RED key which does absolutely nothing but open your doors and used as a template to recut keys.
    Called up Peter Warren Honda and i clearly said we only have the red key, he said bring it in they can fix it ra ra ra for $175!!
    well next morning i towed it in there, and they told me red key is useless without the black key, apparently the guy on the phone i was talking to was new and just moved from KIA and told me the wrong info!! my GF's car was on the tow truck, and they said ignition needs to be changed with ONE new key for a lovely price of $650 so meaning my door keys would be different to my ignition keys and i didnt want to do that... so got the car towed home, coz Peter Warren Honda are a bunch of useless idiots.
    so i went through the vietnamese paper at home "chieu duong" haha my dads papers and looked for locksmiths found.. "PERFECT LOCKSMITHS".. came over next day didn't need to change ingition just needed to change the immobiliser unit and recut and reprogram 2 new keys (non-honda) to the new immob for $380 which i didn't care anymore at the time, i just didnt want honda to touch the car, well if you're fussy with your keys, im pretty sure u can take them keys to get duplicated with honda keys.
    So the point of the story is, if you lose both black keys and only have the red key, there's no need to go to honda to get it fixed. PERFECT LOCKSMITHS (02)9728 4222 or 0419 436 389 he's located in cabramatta somwhere. well you might be able to get it done cheaper somewhere else but i cbf shopping around!
    well im happy in the end ONE key for all doors,boot and ignition price wasn't too bad....
    If you only have one black key get them cut+program NOW for like $90 or so don't wait til you lose your keys and get stuffed around by honda!
    well that's my story............ we lived happily ever after.....
    anyone else been stuffed around by honda?

Member Array
    Car:
    Teal Mx5
    Great info bro.
    Always had a feeling Honda try to rawt us.
    Row row row your boat

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    okay now.. if you wanted to do it genuine.
    imboliser unit, a new red key, a new black key is about $280 or so.
    now, programming is $50. getting the ignition is and door barrels retumbeld is about about $70 to suit the new keys.
    so it's about $400.
    so it's about the same.

yeah there was a guy in cabra that cuts keys for 70bux =)
    it was something like that. lol
    EVOLUTIONOZ - The Australian Evo Community

midori Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    now, programming is $50. getting the ignition is and door barrels retumbeld is about about $70 to suit the new keys.
    so it's about $400.
    so it's about the same.
    The guys at honda don't "retumble".. but if they did seems to make more sense..
    they just say change ignition barrel....
    they pretty much say use two keys one for door/boot and one for ignition.
    they're no help $650 straight up no other way around it .. i believed them for abit.. then realised there MUST be another way.. but yeah.. idiots..

midori Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by kn1ghtm4r3 View Post
    yeah there was a guy in cabra that cuts keys for 70bux =)
    it was something like that. lol

haha alot of locksmiths can cut keys and program but you need the black key atleast.. but if you only have red key, they use that as template to cut the shape of ur key, then program it to your immobiliser..
    only a hand full of places do what they did to my gf's car....
    headaches!! ahha

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    the honda dealer advised you incorectly

as mentioned above you can purchase the immo unit, red key and two black keys for the 300 dollar mark, the new red and black keys are blanks and cut to your key code, then programed to your pgmfi ecu. absolutly no need for different keys,

midori Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post

as mentioned above you can purchase the immo unit, red key and two black keys for the 300 dollar mark, the new red and black keys are blanks and cut to your key code, then programed to your pgmfi ecu. absolutly no need for different keys,
    that's why i didn't go ahead with them.. was gonna do it.. then the towie said dont bother.. so towed it back home.. haha

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post

actually they do come as pre cut now ecu-man.
    i think.
    lol.

Slightly different situation guys. What if I have lost my red key and all I have is the black key. What is the most cost effective way to get myself another key? I was told I can't reprogram a new key without having the red key.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by loki78 View Post
    Slightly different situation guys. What if I have lost my red key and all I have is the black key. What is the most cost effective way to get myself another key? I was told I can't reprogram a new key without having the red key.
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    so it's about $400.
    so it's about the same.
    the answer was only a coupe of posts above.

midori Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by loki78 View Post
    If you got the black key still you should still be ok, as it has the chip thing in it and they can copy it either at honda and at them locksmith mentioned, red key is only the template for the shape of ur key, the red key is really useless anway. well thats my understanding..... from this experience

that perfect locksmiths can copy black key for like $85 or so...