Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.

[DIY] Painting Calipers + rotorS. ghettO styLe

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: to paint rotors & calipers

Required:
    • Can of paint, colour of your choice
    • something to scrub the rust off rotors
    • newspaper/white pages
    • sticky tape

Steps:
    • take off the wheels.

• Scrub the rust off the rotors

• cover the caliper or rotor(what ever you want to paint first) with newspaper.

• don’t worry too much about over sprays the break pad will clean that up it self after you take it for a drive. Turn/move the rotor around with hands to make sure its covered completely
    • now let the paint on the rotor to dry a bit ~15-20mins before moving on to caliper.
    After the paint is dried off cover it up with newspaper so you can spray the calipers, make sure the paint is not sticky anymore, other wise the paper will leave marks behind once you take it off

• spray the caliper to the colour of your choice, make sure the paint covers all of it.

• And your done, apply clear coats if you can be stuffed. Put the rims back on and repeat the same steps on the other 3 calipers. If you get over sprays like I did, just colour in with a black marker afterwards it should do the trick.

Other comments:
    Make sure to wait for the paint to dry afterwards be4 taking the car for a drive, u don’t want all the break dust get stuck on the new paint. There’s no need for special heat prove paint, normal paints will do the job it will just get baked right in.
    And yes i know its dodgy.
    Last edited by m3ntAL_l2; 27-12-2006 at 12:26 PM.
    凸-_-凸

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.

took teh car out for a drive after 2hrs, the paint on the rotors were still abit sticky.
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    Car:
    90 Integra LS
    no offense but i think it would only take 30min more max and about 10 dollars to do it properly...so why don't u just do it properly lol

they make special brake paint for a reason...i don't think they would make it for the sake of it
    The Pain Of Discipline Is Far Less Than The Pain Of Regret

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    what he said ^.

brakes have this really strange tendency to um...get hot? kinda like your rocker cover.

proper paint will last much much longer.

Member Array
    Car:
    a bicycle lol
    thats so dodgey LOL... ghetto style forsure!

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 EK9 Replica
    I'm sure there's a much better way to do it....my and my housemate just did my gf's EK1 with proper masking and sanding tools..as well as high temp. spray paint.We used high temp. paint for the engine covers instead

Basically mask everything that doesn't need to be sprayed(Cos you dun wanna get spray all over the place).We also removed the caliper,sanded and buffed it before spraying.And allowing time to dry before fitting back on.Rotor was done more or less the same way.Masking the surrounding bits,sanding and buffing off the rust then spraying the centre and diameter of the rotor then buffing off excess spray.

Abit of hardwork and patience will give you a better quality end result so it might be worth spending some time redoing yours.Its your car and i'm sure u want it to look its best

Good luck with it mate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EK facelift 009.jpg 
Views:	2500 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	3745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Men Responsible for the FL 003.jpg 
Views:	2483 
Size:	402.5 KB 
ID:	3746  

Member Array
    Car:
    Nonda Tiburon
    thats prolly a better way of doin it ^^ haha
    ..OzHonda Spam Crew..
    ..We Welcome You Abourd!..

DC2R/DC5R Parts for SALE!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    lol at this thread
    well at least you cleaned the rust off first. just dont let anyone get close

nice ride btw
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    suggest caliper paint or engine enamel. I use mineral turpentine to clean the area first.

yeah me too

-high temp paint.
    -clean the area with degreaser or turps first.
    -mask off the area.
    -not necessary to remove calipers etc. just spray while its on, a lil overspray will be rubbed off the rotors and worn off the pads in 1 trip. (the first time you brake its a lil sticky coz the paint is on the pad, it wears off tho in a couple stops.)

btw, red looks so cheap these days

and 2ndly, does anybody know of a high temp spray thats Metallica blue? similar to spoon calipers ? mine are gold, and gold is becoming the new Red, so looking for a change in a few months

Member Array
    Car:
    EKONE
    you can buy anodized blue brake paint. not sure where you will find it though. ive seen it stocked at the warehouse that i work at.

i've seen this in person. it actually looks alright and serves its purpose for being DIY Ghetto. As long as he doesnt mess with the mechanics of the brake calipers then me thinks its all good.