Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Prob

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Stop wasting your own time trying to diagnose your car through correspondence from other backyard mechanics.
    Thats a bit harsh.

Sure not everyone here is an expert but asking questions like this and sharing answers are the main purpose of this forum.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

oops... sorry. didn't mean it to sound harsh.. just trying to point him in the right direction. what my point is, he'll never really find out the problem by internet troubleshooting when no one can see or tell what is going on with his engine. The only real advice is to see if in fact he really is losing oil, then getting it checked by a licensed mechanic.

backyard mechanic is just a colloquial term for us DIY ers.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    heh yeh.
    just seein wat i could dig out of it
    ill bring it down to hanny's this week some time.

Severe oil loss is not something you can just sit around to nut out. In any case, Hannys won't charge you if there's nothing wrong with it.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    I'd have to agree with Hadean. If you are loosing that much oil, then something is amiss. Hopefully its not too serious, as serious means expensive!

Gluck.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    yeh no probs.
    thank u all very much for providin me with ur input :P

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Why do u check ur oil when the car is warm? This means that there is oil in the system and ur dipstick will only indicate what oil is still left in the sump.
    U should check ur oil when the engine is cold and only fill it to the max line on ur dipstick. That said, the amount of oil that ur dipstick indicated from top to bottom is less then a litre. So if ur loosing 1/4 of ur dipstick over a couple of weeks, u arnt loosing 1/4 of ur oil.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    yeh i did check my oil of flat ground, when the car was cold.
    i lost a 1/4 on my dipstick over a week.
    so if i lose a quater on my dipstick, wat does it mean then? coz ur sayin it im not losin a 1/4 oil.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    No, ur loosing about abou 1/4 of a litre. There is no way that u would loose over a litre of oil in a week without noticing it being burnt off.
    What kind of oil are u using? Ur engine is getting a bit mature, i'm currently using 15w40 in my Civic with 136k.

That said, get under ur car and make sure u havnt got any leaks. Take a look at ur coolant and see if its a good colour. Monitor the of oil u use, and if it is consistant, either try a higher viscosity oil or take it to a mechanic for a second opinion..
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    ok, thanks alot champ.