Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turboing Accord

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    hey,
    i was wandering what sort of money i would be looking at for turboing my 94 accord (stock motor in exi)...dont need quotes for internals etc just the kit and fitting costs...thanks

$10k to do it right

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    what about if i wan only gonna run under 10 psi??

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    You can do it cheap, but that doesnt mean it'll turn out right. The amount of boost you are gonna run should have any effect, the setup for under 10psi or 10-15psi is gonna be the same roughly.

Besides which, factor in EVERYTHING you are gonna have to buy. Include clutch, brake pads, the gauges you'll need, boost controller if you need one, the ECU, injectors, exhaust etc etc. These things start to add up.

Now, if you were going cheap, for example, you could use an FMU setup and not get an ECU and injectors. This just ramps up your fuel pressure, forcing more fuel through your stock injectors. So instead of spending 1.5-3k on the fuel setup, you are spending like $500. This will run, but for how long? There's a reason that the FMU has a reputation for meaning "****s motors up".

Thats the choice you have to make though, try for a cheap cheap setup that may or may not be reliable and prolly wont make much power, or spend a bit more and get something reliable that makes a bit of power.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    hmm interesting point poid...i always throught there was no real cheap way about turbocharging...hmmm, i think i might just stick with a tough NA H22A...thanks for your replies..are there any sites you recommend for looking into turbo charging?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    have a look at www.honda-tech.com and www.accordinglydone.com there is a fair bit of info there (though on Honda-Tech you often have to sort the truth from the BS).

I recommend having a read of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it gives a run down on pretty much all aspects of turbos and the support systems they need.

Not trying to put you off turbo (in fact, i encourage everyone to forget NA )

your 94 EXI has a H22A? These are pretty good engines, just the rods don't hold up too well with forced induction. Getting the kit is the least of your worries, most of your money will go towards fitting and TUNING!
    It may take several tunes before you get it right. Each session isn't cheap! I've had many many hours on the dyno and the car still isnt fully tuned!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    i just street tuned mine myself, runs a little rich but thats the only issue, runs pretty damn well for the lack of effort i have put in to it!!

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    Quote Originally Posted by one more chance
    your 94 EXI has a H22A?
    No i have the non vtec 2.2...im not sure what they are called ops:...im either gonna turbo the one i have or get a h22a conversion...im thinking the h22a conversion ....

Member Array
    Car:
    400HP cd5 Accord
    only if u posted this up earlier. I had a whole backyard turbo kit for sale for your accord. Now its in pieces. If u have time and the knowledge you could do it for as little as 2k as i did and run it off a unichip.
    But for cheapness and reliablity go the h22a. Its alot better.

Poid: Is your car done? Sounds like a little street monster!
    Wat hp figures did you get?

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    no worries dude, im going for performance last ....looks for now, but yeah h22a is looking good

Quote Originally Posted by **PIMPIN**ACCORD
    no worries dude, im going for performance last ....looks for now, but yeah h22a is looking good
    Go the other way round dude

Misguided me spend 10k on looks and am regretting spending that money that I coulda spent on performance.

That was probs just because I had nfi bout cars when I first got mine and thought a stereo, rims and an exhaust were sick.

Didn't mind spending money on the respray tho.