Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turboing Accord

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    chubs: yeh mine is done now. Dont have any hp figures yet, hopefully new clutch goes in next week and then i can finally put it on a dyno

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    Quote Originally Posted by B|ade
    Go the other way round dude

Misguided me spend 10k on looks and am regretting spending that money that I coulda spent on performance.

That was probs just because I had nfi bout cars when I first got mine and thought a stereo, rims and an exhaust were sick.

Didn't mind spending money on the respray tho.
    Hmmm, yeah, but i dont see accords as much 'performing' cars..I mean, sure you ca get them running decent quarters, but what about reliability etc?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    reliability is fine as long as you do things right and keep it properly maintained. I mean you'll have the occassional issue, like maybe an engine mount letting go or something due to the extra power, but the engine itself wont grenade unless you stuff something up or its stuffed to begin with

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    Hmmm, if i were to buy some parts second hand, which ones would you get? Or what parts HAVE to be brand new?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    well strictly speakingnothing absolutely has to be brand new. The turbo is one which i was wary buying second hand, as it can be hard to tell the condition of them. I mean you can check shaft play but unless you open it up its kinda hard to see if the centre housing is all clogged up with burnt oil.

Injectors i would get cleaned and flow tested before putting them in if they were second hand, last thing you want is uneven flow into the cylinders. Intercooler you just have to make sure there are no leaks etc.

The manifold is another one, it can be hard to know how stressed the welds are and whether they are going to let go on you.

If you aer patient you can pick up good deals on most of these parts, either new or second hand. You just have to wait for the right part to come along. My turbo for example i got with 1500km on it and it had the exhaust side already heat coated...saved me a few hundred on buying a new one and was in perfect condition.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    Ahhh, Thanks poid....useful inofrmation there...cheers

Banned Array
    Car:
    Civic Turbo
    For 5 K You could get a good setup for your accord,
    On the exi which has a f22 or somethin, correct me if im wrong that hsould have a pretty low compression so you should be able to boost around 8psi.
    A Complete kit for this power would include

Turbo
    Manifold
    Dump + Down pipe
    Intercooler
    BOV
    Pipeing
    Riseing rate fuel pressure regulator, (vortec 10:1 or 12:1, Increases 10 or 12 psi of fuel for every psi of boost)
    You will get all this gear from the us easily if you look around, shop and research. The market over the is much bigger for honda performance parts. 2.5K should see all this gear landed at your door.

Aftermarket Standalone ECU For Full Controll (Not Piggyback, Power FC, Chip, Hack/VAFCC/SAFC). MicroTec or Motec
    Tuneing
    For a decent microtec with a custom map for your car + wireing, installation and dyno tuneing you are prolly looking at 2.5K again if you buy the Ecu directly from microtec and pay a tuner to install it and dyno it.

All up 5grand for something to get your started at 8 - 10psi, and do not underestimate how much of a power increase this is.

And lata in the future if u want you can alwayes upgrade you injectors, Rods, Rings, Pistons, Gudgen Pins, Decompression basically anything you want so your motor will be more boost friendly. Then just knock up the boost to 15lbs. But to do this serious work which is probably one level up again your looking at figures with 000's to do so, but it is better value to try get this power through N/A

Cheer mate good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    a rising rate regulator to control fuel does not belong in any setup, let alone a 'good' one

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    Hmmm, thats sounds decent Lyle...ive been looking on ebay in the US a fair bit, i found a t3/4 turbo with manifold and external wastegate for AUD $1100...shipping is prolly another $500? I would definately be keen to egt something like that but reliability is playing on my mind :S