Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ

Upshifting technique?

First of all happy new year ppl.

anyways i had a search around and came up with a few answers and alot of spammers so i decided to ask anyways.

i find it upshifting during high rpm (redline) especially difficult to pull off a smooth shift to reduce power loss. some people say drop the clutch + flooring it, some say double clutch. others told me to slow the release of clutch but then it burns the clutch....

what do you guys do?

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    i just shift like normal?

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    flat shift

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    is that when your flooring it. then you just push the clutch and change gear while ur foot is still on the accelerator?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    shift like normal. Those telling you to double clutch are F&F wankers (sad to say). Why? Go and read up on what double clutching is and you'll realise that it is about 2x slower than granny shifting. LOL

Just remember, clutch in fully. When the clutch pedal is about 3/4 on its way down, you shift, so that from 1st to neutral, the pedal is almost to the floor and when you go from neutral to 2nd, the pedal is fully to the floor to avoid grinding. When pulling the shifter, don't do it like a quick light slam. What happens is that it doesn't get into 2nd gear and pops back out in to neutral. What you want is a quick firm shift so that you are fully in 2nd gear. Release the clutch in one quick action while applying full throttle in the same foot movement. If you apply throttle too early, you are essentially flat shifting and that wears out your drivetrain quick.

And of course, flat shifting will be the fastest assuming that you are able to shift into 2nd quick.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    it is difficult to pull off a very smooth shift esp. on 1st to 2nd gear, I reckon every cars are like that. just drop the clutch, don't release it slowly.
    Last edited by blk_shadow; 01-01-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Release the clutch in one quick action while applying full throttle in the same foot movement.
    ditto it. while dropping the clutch, apply full throttle at the same time

Member Array
    Car:
    POS
    practice and seating position is another factor... have your seat in a comfortable position where your not cramped nor too far away to push the clutch in...

and don't rush your shift... like aaron said... get the process right... and THEN worry about speed
    FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    put your left foot onto clutch pedal (furethest on the left) then press it in. hold it in. use your left hand to change gears. release your left foot. put your right foot onto the accelerator. do this process fast. HAHA

seriously, i just drive how i do on the streets. just 32487519835times faster.
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

its not called stance if you're on spacers..

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    practice practice and practice....that's all i got to say!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Integra Type R JDM
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    shift like normal. Those telling you to double clutch are F&F wankers (sad to say). Why? Go and read up on what double clutching is and you'll realise that it is about 2x slower than granny shifting. LOL

Just remember, clutch in fully. When the clutch pedal is about 3/4 on its way down, you shift, so that from 1st to neutral, the pedal is almost to the floor and when you go from neutral to 2nd, the pedal is fully to the floor to avoid grinding. When pulling the shifter, don't do it like a quick light slam. What happens is that it doesn't get into 2nd gear and pops back out in to neutral. What you want is a quick firm shift so that you are fully in 2nd gear. Release the clutch in one quick action while applying full throttle in the same foot movement. If you apply throttle too early, you are essentially flat shifting and that wears out your drivetrain quick.

And of course, flat shifting will be the fastest assuming that you are able to shift into 2nd quick.
    Sorry for n00b question, but when just driving normally are you able to change from any gear into neutral ie 3rd and then just pull down into neutral without using the clutch and this doesnt harm your gearbox/clutch???

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    no cant go neutral from a gear wifout clutch IN

this one time my friend tried to drive the car.. somehow my clutch was invisible so went to gear 1 to 2 wif no clutch..
    the creak from that was heart breaking...
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"