Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG5 VTi Hatch

95 vti gearbox problems

hey guys, just wondering if you honda pro's could give me some advice on what to do about my gearbox.

i've had a search through the forums and found some helpful advice that suggests my problem is probly my synchro's but i couldn't find much info on what options there are to fix such a thing..

My car makes a weird sort of... rattling wurring noise when in neutral with the clutch out.... clutch in and it goes away... apparently that could be a bearing of some form?

Besides that, when driving along in mainly the first 4 gears (cant notice it in 5th anyway) the gearbox makes a loud noise... its like... hmm.. a rattle? i guess it sort of sounds like a metal plate rattling against another metal plate... damn thats hard to describe... Either way, my mechanic told me if it gets any louder i gotta stop driving it, and to bring the car in asap (after new year break) so he could have a better look at it... but i'm impatient and wanna know now :P

So ughhh... what are my options?
    1. New gearbox? if so which??! i'm so confused
    2. Gearbox recondition? how much does that cost generally?
    3. stop worrying because its not a major problem?

not sure if it helps but i've got a D16Y1, and i just had the clutch replaced (last week) with an Exedy so its not that >.> i hope lol

any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by fxr; 07-01-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    60-POV
    Theres a few threads on here about this, apparently its one of your clutch bearings.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG5 VTi Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWEGG View Post
    Theres a few threads on here about this, apparently its one of your clutch bearings.
    just had the clutch replaced, including bearings..

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    Input shaft bearing most likely, I had the same noise on my d15b7 so i pulled my gearbox out and pulled it apart. When i spun the input shaft bearing i could feel a slight roughness compared to the other bearings. So i replaced the bearing and the noise was gone

i would check if they put in the right amount of gearbox fluid...

if you had the clutch replaced , they would of replaced only pilot bearing ( on flywheel) and release bearing ( on clutch pressure plate)

the problem , is the bearings INSIDE the gearbox are gone.
    Might be input shaft bearing or mainshaft bearing etc...$$$

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    it sucks that u didn't get the bearings replaced while the gearbox was out

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG5 VTi Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by EGBenny View Post
    it sucks that u didn't get the bearings replaced while the gearbox was out
    tell me about it... unfortunately there was no choice. i needed the clutch asap coz mine was slipping like crazy (but only until vtec strangely, which was amusing ) and it was between christmas and new years... so i was damn lucky to find the mechanic really... and he couldn't find a gearbox guy until the 8th or 9th of Jan apparently. I'm gonna call him today and ask what i'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    if you had the clutch replaced , they would of replaced only pilot bearing ( on flywheel) and release bearing ( on clutch pressure plate)

the problem , is the bearings INSIDE the gearbox are gone.
    Might be input shaft bearing or mainshaft bearing etc...$$$
    oh yeah and the other thing i forgot to mention was, i got the clutch kit from a place in Rocklea.. K&A? eh someone recommended it on here actually when i first joined (thats why i joined ) and the guy said i might need a spigot(?) bearing along with the usual 2 (pilot and release - thanks bennjamin) so for the extra $9 or whatever it was i just got it and told the mechanic to use it if it needed it .

So, you say $$$.... how much are we talking?

so many of you guys talk of 'just' dropping out your gearboxes and taking a look for yourself... exactly how much mechanical prowess does that require?

sorry if i'm talking too much but it's late :P

might b cheaper to just get a 2nd hand box off barefootbanzai ...

and when u haev time to slwoly rebuild ur other box.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    im 19 and have NO experience with gearboxes when i fixed mine up. As long as you have a little confidence with your hands and some patience theres no reason you can't do it yourself.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873&page=1
    this link used to have photos and it sounds harder than it is

Quote Originally Posted by fxr View Post
    So, you say $$$.... how much are we talking?

so many of you guys talk of 'just' dropping out your gearboxes and taking a look for yourself... exactly how much mechanical prowess does that require?

sorry if i'm talking too much but it's late :P

ok...to start...

to "take off a gearbox" is about $250-300 labour at most workshops.
    Add about $20-300 depending on the amount of bearings to replace
    Add another $300 or so labour , to take it apart and install new bearings.
    you get the idea