Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am looking for some new mag wheels and tyres for my 1999 Honda Civic Coupe. I currently have 15" mags on there running 195/50/15 tyres. I want to upgrade to something bigger.

I thought of getting 17" mags and wider tyres but a shop I spoke to said 16" fitted with 205/45/16 tyres is a better overall compromise for looks and ride comfort and he thinks 17" is too big for a small car.

Are there any Civic Coupe owners here who have done a rim and tyre upgrade? Which rim and tyre size did you go for and why? Did you have to lower the suspension to make it sit nicer on the bigger rims? If so how much did you have to lower by?

Some links to pictures to help me decide would also be great. Thanks heaps!

you could get 17x7's for sure

ride comfort won't be as good as on 16's as you will have a lower profile tyre, you will feel the road alot more.

you will have to worry about scratching the rims on gutters etc.

buckling them in big pot holes lol

and with lowering ... you could probably lower 2" on a 205/40 tyre ... anything more and you will probably achieve scrub without a camber kit

another thing, you turning circle will be a fair bit worse on the larger wheel track

rubber becomes more expensive

those are the cost of putting nice rims on your car ...

i am probably going back to ricer rims :P so i like it ... others dont'

replied on boostcruising mate
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch M
    you could get 17x7's for sure

ride comfort won't be as good as on 16's as you will have a lower profile tyre, you will feel the road alot more.
    If you get 17 inch silica tires the ride would be softer. Michelin Pilot Sports are great.

Member Array
    Car:
    civic coupe
    check out this link, http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profi...rofileid=25401 shows my car on 18x 7.5 alba battles with 215 by 35 falken tyres.... ive got coilovers but if your just gonna lower it on normal springs n shocks id suggest gettin 17s less police attention if you get pulled over.... oh and a tip, pull out your tyre placard, if you get pulled over and asked where it is just say you had a smash and the car was painted and your waiting on a new one from honda.... most cops will let you go on tyre size... had a hiway patrol officer say what car is this? i said "honda civic" he goes "oh these come with 17s dont they?" lol... yeah maybe in japan buddy http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profi...rofileid=25401

Member Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R
    hey dude, i have a civic vtir, essentially the same thing..

my rims are 16x7 and tyres are 205/45/16.. imo it is a good compromise between looks as well as comfort..

originally i lowered my car 1.3", however there was still a 2-3finger gap!!

so on 205/45/16, i'd recommend lowering it 2" and it will be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by luzinit
    my rims are 16x7 and tyres are 205/45/16.. imo it is a good compromise between looks as well as comfort..
    Any pics of your car?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R
    gimme ur email dude, i'll send some pics of the wheel and wheel gap....
    going to be lowering it another 1" soon.. cant wait. hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 EK Civic GLi HB
    I've got 17's on my EK - they look great but the handling is not as good. Make sure you get the best tyres possible - the tyres that Donnellans in Vic gave me were Falkens - they claimed it was their best at the time to fit my car but they suck - they simply cannot grip. Plus the fact that you will have a much bumpier ride, they are also heavier. The biggest pain in the arse is the $$$ when you gotta replace your tyres... I'd go 16's if I has my time again. Better yet I'd stick to the stockies - they're light weight and look good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by skoota
    the tyres that Donnellans in Vic gave me were Falkens - they claimed it was their best at the time to fit my car but they suck - they simply cannot grip.
    Oooh...the tyres the shop was going to supply were Falkens too! I can't remember the exact model name but I think they were ZE326 or something close to that. So those tyres suck, eh? No wonder the quote was so cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by SCRAPN
    215 by 35 falken tyres
    How do you find your Falken tyres? Do they "suck" like the previous poster mentioned?

Member Array
    Car:
    was a honda
    18' for sure!.................hehehehe............pure show..............great grip on the corners too!