Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic

b20 vtec question

searched = no avail.

hey all im looking into maybe converting my b16 motor to a b20 vtec set up and would like to hear from some members with this conversion done, things like costs would be great!
    I've done a fair bit of research already into the conversion and seems rather straight forward.
    cheers all.

Member Array
    Car:
    135i & CBR
    theres cheap ways of doing it and expensive ways of doing it, depends on what you want to spend really.

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    pm .::F[L]Y::. or tinkerbell in regards to this..

there are other members who have done it, but that's all i can remember atm..

EDIT: i'm pretty blind.. you can just pm civ_sik (refer to his signature)
    Last edited by tRipitaka; 18-01-2007 at 11:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

Member Array
    Car:
    135i & CBR
    pretty sure ive done it twice...

Member Array
    Car:
    135i & CBR
    Quote Originally Posted by tRipitaka View Post
    pm .::F[L]Y::. or tinkerbell in regards to this..

there are other members who have done it, but that's all i can remember atm..

EDIT: i'm pretty blind.. you can just pm civ_sik (refer to his signature)
    lol all good, also master_bo_bo in brissy has done it, and danny in sydney, skremn also, all these guys have b20 vtecs, as does one600, i know theres more too but thats all i can think of atm. ill post up more info in the morning if someone hasnt done it before i wake up lol

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    B16/B20 vtec hmmmmm.... depending what you wanna do. JUst replacing your b16a bottom end with b20b bottom end will net you some gains. I woould research more about this conversion before dciding to go with it.

I've driven a b16/b20 and yeh it kinda suxed ass.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    b16/b20 will benefit you if you do it properly. If your planning to put the head onto them bottom end then expect abt 120kw atw. Although the torque is there the things i could see to complete such a package would be to get a type R gearbox. Futhermore a b20 bottom end isnt really built for revving. if i had a choice between the b20 setup and a b18CR setup then id go b18CR. I only see the b20 being benficial in a light car like an eg hatch or crx.

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Im building a B20VTEC myself atm....

Since you already have the head and gearbox from your current B16a, at a minimum you would require:

B20b short block ~$900
    ARP rod bolts ~$70
    ARP head studs ~$250
    22T VTEC Water Pump ~$150
    VTEC conversion kit ~$300

Then you might want to consider I/H/E + ECU + Tuning, maybe Clutch + Flywheel and of course any labour costs invloved if you dont plan on putting it all together yourself.....
    Last edited by ZeForce; 19-01-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Emphasize "minimum"

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    I've done a bit of research in regards to the process of the actual conversion, and it doesn't seem as difficult as I intitially thought. I might get a few mates to help me set it up so might save on labour.
    I wouldn't mind a b18cr setup in my civic but too costly

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    2l > 1.8l

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by .::F[L]Y::. View Post
    b16/b20 will benefit you if you do it properly. If your planning to put the head onto them bottom end then expect abt 120kw atw. Although the torque is there the things i could see to complete such a package would be to get a type R gearbox. Futhermore a b20 bottom end isnt really built for revving. if i had a choice between the b20 setup and a b18CR setup then id go b18CR. I only see the b20 being benficial in a light car like an eg hatch or crx.

who said b20's arent revvy engines !!

i driven hi-power racing's crx with b16/20 many times and i rape it to 8500rpm ... its tuned for 9000rpm ... and its just using a chipped ecu with a vafcII

the crx just ran a 12.38sec down willowbank on weds 113mph

if u built it right then i dont see why you wont be able to rev it like any other b-series motor

Member Array
    Car:
    135i & CBR
    exactly right ^ which is why he needs to tell us how much he wants to spend, because there are different ways to do a build like this, which will net different results in the end too.