Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT

DIY CHEAP! Accord Euro Fog Light Improvement – H11 to H9 conversion

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You do this entirely at your own risk.

The problem: The stock 55w H11 fog lights on the Euro are not particularly powerful. To put it blunt they are useless. They are a cosmetic feature to enable you to ‘be seen’ rather than provide you with any useful light output.

The solution: Convert very efficient H9 type globes to fit the stock H11 fog light harness. The result is an increase in lumens output from 1350 lumens in the stock form to a massive 2100 lumens in the H9 type (also a whiter output).

The increase in wattage is a measly 10 watt (65w compared to stock 55w) so there should not be any associated heat problems typical with increasing wattage. The fog light covers are also made from glass so the risks of overheating are minimal in my opinion.

Credits: Credit goes to the website below for giving me the idea to modify a H9 globe to fit a H11 socket. He doesn’t give instructions as to how to perform the conversion but it is self explanatory once you look closely at the sockets. As far as I am aware no one has attempted this modification on a CL9 Euro before.

Props to http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Cost: 2 xH9 globes. I purchased some cheap and nasty H9 globes on ebay for $12. They are blue coated bulbs . Coated bulbs are not recommended if you are looking for maximum light output. If you want maximum output use a standard clear H9 globe.

Tools required: Stanley knife or similar.

Step 1:

Get your H9 globes. The H9 and H11 globes are physically the same size! So no fitment issues in the housing. This pic is what the H9 I purchased looks like. The stock globe looks the same - except for clear glass.

Compare the socket of the stock H11 globe to the H9 globe in these pictures below.

Stock H11 globe below

H9 globe below

Note how the H9 globe has an extra piece of plastic ridging in the socket? (NB: the photo above was skewed when I resized it. Not to worry - I assure you the H9 and H11 are the same shape and size).

Step 2:

Being very careful not to touch the glass – you need to use your Stanley knife to slowly cut away the socket ridging so the H9 globe fitting looks exactly like the stock H11 globe fitting. One ridge needs to be removed with the knife. If you work slowly this should be easy to do.

The end result should look like this.

Step 3:

Fit the globe to the vehicle. No other modification is required. If you have cut the globe socket properly the globe will fit the fog harness in the vehicle perfectly.

Results:

These pics below are of the fog light and parking lights only! The headlights are turned off!! Not bad aye for $12. You will get even better results using a clear globe and adjusting the beams correctly (I haven’t done this yet). There is a screw underneath the fog housing to adjust the beam up and down.

Borat’s review on this mod is “Wa wa wee wo, I like very much!”… If you find this thread useful, spread the love with a rep point.

If you try this DIY let me know what you think of the results.

Last edited by yfin; 20-01-2007 at 08:34 PM.

sexy time!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Two with cheese thanks. I lyk it alot!

But can't u get highly efficient H11 bulbs anyway?
    What makes H9 so fantasia?
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    But can't u get highly efficient H11 bulbs anyway?
    What makes H9 so fantasia?
    The light output of a H11 globe will never be 2100 lumens. Even if you use a +50 H11 it only gives you a few hundred extra lumens. I think it is because H9 is designed for typical use in high beam applications but I am not sure. Mr Stern doesn't explain why there is such a big difference in output simply from the design but I am happy regardless.
    Last edited by yfin; 21-01-2007 at 08:24 AM.

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    nice effort
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Really informative write-up. My set of H9 bulbs came in today but i cant, for the life of me, figure out how to get into the foglight housing. I have a 2007 euro luxury and there's no screws or anything at the front. Do i have to take off the front bumper? Please tell me not..Appreciate your assistance

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    hi thanks - this is a worthwhile mod and let me know how you find it.

Re the globes - i am sure accessing the fog lights is covered in your Euro manual.

If I am wrong on that - you basically need to remove that plastic cover under the front of the car and you can reach your hand into the cavity and remove the fog globe. You do not need to remove the front bumper.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Great, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and i'll post pics when i'm done

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord Euro Lux 6MT
    I don't know how many people have done this mod before but I tried it and have recently placed my stock 55w globes back in after having to replace both fog light lenses after them cracking.

I noticed that the do get extremely hot compared to stock ones and I figured that they cracked due to excessive heat and use in the wet (cooled too quickly). What are your thoughts? I'd love to put them back in but I am a little hesitant...
    Whiteline RSB, Cusco Tower Brace, Tein SS, Ingalls CK, Maven Shift Knob, Comptech Short Shifter, Euro R Grill, FN2 Type R Rims, Jtune ECU Reflash, Jtune Intake, Pending Evolution IX

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ENVSSS View Post
    I don't know how many people have done this mod before but I tried it and have recently placed my stock 55w globes back in after having to replace both fog light lenses after them cracking.

I noticed that the do get extremely hot compared to stock ones and I figured that they cracked due to excessive heat and use in the wet (cooled too quickly). What are your thoughts? I'd love to put them back in but I am a little hesitant...
    I never had that problem. It is fairly common for the fog lenses to crack on the Euro when they are impacted by road debris. A small stone from the road will do it. Lots of examples of that here and on the US forums.

As for heat, to get a crack in glass from 10watt increase would surprise me - but hey anything is possible when you change a car from stock. Are you running these all day every day?
    Last edited by yfin; 29-11-2007 at 05:36 AM.

its ok to touch the glass bulb, just make sure you clean it afterwards.

use a solvent like metho or something similar.

its just to remove the oil from the glass

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Would a 55w H9 still be brighter than a 55w H11 bulb?