Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Accord First car?

Hey all.. just joined today

I'm currently in the market for my first car (been getting away with driving parents for a while) and was looking into 95' accords. They seem to meet most of my selection criteria:
    -looks good
    -within 10k budget
    -hasn't clocked up a huge amount of k's (120 - 150k)
    -insurance wouldn't be to great

That checklist seems to work fine.. up until i have to consider servicing in which i have no idea.. so my question is... how much in a range would it cost annually to service a 12yr old accord?
    I was also looking at preludes but maybe later

cheers

edit: oh also.. any problems that would normally occur with that age of car i should look out for? I would hate to buy a lemon

Hi and welcome Cronic.

The CD Accord (94-97) are nice cars provided they've been maintained & looked after properly. High Ks wouldn't put me off either as they're tough and designed to last.

I'd go with a 96 or 97 as it's the updated/refreshed version. I'm not too sure on what to look out for (hoping someone else can help here or you can check out the Accord forum). Make sure belts, fluids have been changed and it's got a service history (regular minor servicing should only cost about $100-$150 from independant mechanic/Midas/Ultratune/Carline/etc or $200-$250 from Honda dealer per visit).

One thing to note: CD accords were bult in Japan = quality. 98-00 Accords were built in US (soso), 01-02 built in Thailand (better).

Go the CD. All VTi's and VTiS's have sunroofs + vtec. get that model. Don't bother with the EXi. No vtec, no sunroof. Still good but. (sorry johnno). But al similiarly priced.

+ rep sensei

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    Go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

I like CD accords

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    Is Johnno's car Exi? Cause his car has sunroof.
    Team Agentz

Options Motorsports

My Accord Euro: [ENDUT]

My Odyssey: [BRUANG]

MY GARAGE SALE

yep. its an EXi. "prestige sunroofs" sunroof.

Member Array
    Car:
    Try hard CL9
    Thats right baby! Bring on the Sunroof.

Anyways i wrote Some info about this a while a go when someone was asking almost the same question. All the guys above are right in what they say about the CD5 Accord. I'll start off with Exterior.

There are two type of models here. CD5 SI and CD5 SII (series 1 and 2) The S1 ran from Late 93 right through to mid - late 95, where as the SII ran from Late 95 through to late 97. Just before the release of the CG/CK Accords Which moved production to USA/Thailand. As Jeff(Sireal) said above the CD5 were built in Japan. Generaly means Quality. Anyways the main difference you'll see are, Different Seat material, Rear lights, Front Grill, Front bumper, Rear Bumper and thats about it.

In terms of models, there are three varients; EXi, VTi and VTi-S. The EXi, is your basic model. Nothing to fancy just the cheap one on the block, But u'll be unique cos there's not that many around (well here in melb anyways) Most of them are VTi's or VTi-S's. But main point is, No Sunroof, No Vtec, No ABS, But it does have Electric Mirrors and windows. VTi has alittle bit more in terms of specs. Sunroof with no tilt, and A Vtec motor, ABS. Once again VTi-S are the flagship model boasting full lux features inc, Leather seats, Sunroof, Dual Airbags, ABS, Climate Control, Electric Windows, Mirrors Its all i can think of now.

In terms of the Engine, I'll be using Three Engine codes, two main ones and one other. F22B3, F22B1 and H22A. The F22B3 Is a non Vtec engine, SOHC and puts out a Massive 103Kw @ the fly. The F22B1 is the Vtec Varient of the F22B3, and puts out a Huge 107Kw @ the Fly. Not much difference at all. The H22A is probly every CD5 owners dreams to have in their car. A complete direct blot up, direct from the Prelude the DOHC Vtec H22A motor out puts almost as much as a nuclear bomb at 141Kw @ the Fly. Anyways back to the main two, The EXi's are equiped with the F22B3, where as the VTi and VTi-S's are with the F22B1. Now there's only about 4 Kw's differance but weight changes between the models i think is about 50kg on the VTi and another 50Kg's on the VTi-S. So If u look at it Not much Gain if any at all between the engines.

At the end of the day, its up to you mate which one you choose. Either choice they are great cars and they go like mad. Try to choose one with Low km's. Might be a higher price but u know that it was looked after. Either SI or SII, Both run the same and have almost the same structure, Reason i chose SII cos it was the most Up to date model, with all the Bugs Ironed out of it by then, and why the EXi, its because i couldn't find a VTi in Manual that was in good condition. Performance is about the same in all models.

Good Luck in finding an Accord thats right for you, take ur time as the right one will pop up. And im sorry for the lengthy text.

I see that ur a Melbournian, Come out to the meet tonite (tues 6th) and i'll beable to show u my car. And if u like i can help u look for the right one. Let me know....

Details of tonites meet are found here Clikky here
    Last edited by Xplodin; 06-02-2007 at 06:50 AM.
    XpLoDiN
    AKA Johnno

[Melb] Team Y.C.D - The Dim Sum Revolution!

blardy good effort for 7:42am in the mornig. i was still asleep.

Member Array
    Car:
    Try hard CL9
    Hahah thanks Jeff :P I love my CD5 accords Soo Hotness
    XpLoDiN
    AKA Johnno

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If you plan on getting an Auto, check if the car is still on its original gearbox. The autobox of the CD accord tends to shit itself after about 8-10 years by the strainer getting clogged by the clutch pack material. If it is on its 2nd gearbox, then that's good. If it is on its first, then be prepared to go hunting for a 2nd hand box or an expensive rebuild (the autobox has to be taken apart to access the strainer filter).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Try hard CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    If you plan on getting an Auto, check if the car is still on its original gearbox. The autobox of the CD accord tends to shit itself after about 8-10 years by the strainer getting clogged by the clutch pack material. If it is on its 2nd gearbox, then that's good. If it is on its first, then be prepared to go hunting for a 2nd hand box or an expensive rebuild (the autobox has to be taken apart to access the strainer filter).
    I thought it was the CG/CK models had the shit gearbox. AS far as i'm aware the auto box in the CD's were fine.... *shrugs* didnt know about that one....
    XpLoDiN
    AKA Johnno

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    hemp... the 94-97 would be nice :P coz thats my first car and the car im driving ..