Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2nd gear has a dead flat spot. 5th Gen

I drive a 98 vtir manual prelude.
    I just recently noticed that 2nd gear in very sluggish and dead flat at low speeds/rpm ( < 2800rpm)

For instance, while in 2nd gear at around 10-15km which equates to around 1500rpm, the acceleration is very poor. Even at WOT, you can hear the drone in the exhaust. The rpm needle very slowly makes its way to 2500rpm before a bit of life comes into the engine again.

This is very annoying especially when coming out of roundabout exists, trying to take off after slowing down at a T intersection. It either forces me to shift back into first or rev more than i want to in first to ensure that when i shift to 2nd it stays around 2500-2800rpm.

This doesnt happen for 1st gear in that rev range. Only 2nd.

Does it sound like there is something wrong? Is there something i can do about this?

Sounds like a honda engine to me.

How does the engine come back to life?? Is it as if it slowly starts to produce power? or does it feel like the ECU kicks back in or something?

J

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    Sounds like a honda engine to me.

How does the engine come back to life?? Is it as if it slowly starts to produce power? or does it feel like the ECU kicks back in or something?

J
    I have driven many honda and i do realise they are not torquey engines, but this is like so low for the needle to reach 2500 from 1500 in second.

What i meant by coming back to life is when the RPM needle accelerates much faster when it goes above 3000rpm. So in 2nd at around 1500, at a real slow constant speed gradually gets to around 2500rpm then the rev range is normal.

If feels like i am trying to start off in 3rd gear or something so it takes long to get the needle to 2500rpm.

No smoke or anything or that sort??

What fuel you running??

Have your changed or your filters and plugs recently?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    No smoke or anything or that sort??

What fuel you running??

Have your changed or your filters and plugs recently?

A better description is, it feels like i am trying to start off in 3rd gear or something so it takes long to get the needle to 2500rpm.

I run on 95 RON petrol.
    I just had an oil change which includes the oil filter only.
    I am due for a major in another 5000km, so i doubt the spark plugs and other filters have been changed.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    i am starting to have that problem too, i always use 98ron petty so its prolly not ur petty, and my oil and oil filter & sparkies are only just gone 5000kz old so im guessing its my leads...when i change them ill let you know...

ps also it could be ur intake? i have aluminium piping to the filter located in my front bumper and in hot weather lags like hell...so im not sure
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Quote Originally Posted by VTi_b0i View Post
    i am starting to have that problem too, i always use 98ron petty so its prolly not ur petty, and my oil and oil filter & sparkies are only just gone 5000kz old so im guessing its my leads...when i change them ill let you know...

ps also it could be ur intake? i have aluminium piping to the filter located in my front bumper and in hot weather lags like hell...so im not sure
    Please keep me informed when you got your leads changed.
    I have a stock airbox if it matters.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo

Red face

oh then thats not the case... could very well be fuel filter as that hasnt been changed in quite some time
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Stock airbox should be fine, unless the filter hasn't been changed this century. (literally)

you shouldnt be WOT in 2nd gear from 1500rpm ish....pretty much any car will lag by taking off in 2nd gear or by short shifting straight away.

Try changing your driving style slightly and im sure the car will miss this flat spot

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I'd check the dizzy too, maybe at low RPM there is some corrosion which is causing resistance to the current flow. Also, pull out the plugs to see if you are running rich or lean or if the plugs are corroded.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2