Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BIKE or a CAR

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by panda[cRx] View Post

comparing a any 250cc bike to an r1 is utterly retarted and if you ride bikes you know that
    not at all , you said that a learner must have something that handles well, I was just proving your point was incorrect.

my point was if you want to do silly speeds you can do that on ANY bike, you could seriously hurt yourself on a postie bike ffs.
    I totally agree with you on that one , thats why its so important to have decent gear no matter what you ride.

Also someone made a comment on insurance, yes being on your L's or P's or under 25 can be a bit pricey but after that sportsbikes can be quite reasonable. I pay $276 for full comprehensive cover for my ZZR 600 and I have a mate that has a new GSXR1000 and only pays $970 per year and he is only 30 years old, and another mate on an 03 R6 paying $590.

Its just a matter of finding out where the good insurance players are. Also that cover we have is one of the most feature packed policies there is in NSW. I know, cos I have checked them out.

Damien S - please share the insurance company and i hope it is not swann?

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    Quote Originally Posted by DamienS View Post
    not at all , you said that a learner must have something that handles well, I was just proving your point was incorrect
    actually i was saying it was better for learners to have something that handles well opposed to handling poorly. it's easier to a n00b rider to control a good handling bike in a safe manner. a bike with poor handling is easier to lose control of, especially in 'surprise' situations
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by zerospel View Post
    Damien S - please share the insurance company and i hope it is not swann?

The actual insurer is Calliden, they are an Australian based company that are now insuring alot of bikes...HOWEVER you have to go through a broker that has a deal setup with them on bikes, or through another broker that can access such deals.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    Honda VFR400

grey import, but a 400cc vtwin, and learner legal too

rode my mates one last week, very very nice

im going for my license on the 27 28th of March. im plan to get one myself
    Nice bike they are, they aren't a vtwin though. They are a V4. Not that that matters anyway, nice bike.

I love the way everything turns into a massive argument on forums. Someone always disagrees with someone else's comment and 'has a go' about it. Always good to read.

Anyway on the bike or car issue. Ive ridden cb250 cbr250 zx2r vtr250 and a couple of other 250's, also ridden most of the open bikes on the market (05 R1, 03 gsxr1000, 05 gsxr600, 05 gsxr750, 03 R6, 03 cbr600f4i zx10r zx6r ...... buells .. and more). My opinion on the issue will mirror a few people's previous comments.
    1. Its up to you but if you choose a bike - get GOOD GEAR. Ive had a come off also and was glad to be in good quality protective gear.
    2. When it comes to a 'good learner bike', lets face it, a bike is something that gets you excited, few people are going to choose a bike that they have no interest in just because its 'easy' to learn on. As a general rule though a 2stroke wont be good to learn on (I didnt say they are crap so keep the tempers at bay people) because they have a peaky motor that is a pain in the ass in town even if its quick when you are up it. Most modern'ish' bikes handle well enough for a learner cbr's zxr's they are both fun and reasonably easy to learn on but the vtr is possibly the easiest bike to ride. Not particularly fast but nice and torquey for a little bike, nice and upright with wide bars that give you good purchase and make slow cornering and tight suburban roundabouts (something most beginners struggle with) far easier. What it comes down to though is get the bike you like, go easy on it till you are confident and make sure you wear your gear.
    3. As for bike or car. Buy a car first mate. I have had times when ive only had a bike and i've always enjoyed every ride but ill get you to imagine one situation and it will turn you off having no car. Imagine riding your commute to work on a 35degree humid day, thats interupted midway to work by some heavy rain - do you know how uncomfortable it is to have your work clothes on that are wet through from the rain and yet you are still sweating from underneath as well.

I currently have no bike and i hate it, every time i hear or see a bike my heart longs to coat hanger the rider off the bike just to take it for a quick ride. Ill tell you this, own a bike and it will be forever in your blood. Every day i try and think of a way i can get another one.

End of the day its your choice, but having a bike and no car has many drawbacks (especially when you have a partner that then has to do all the driving because you have no car). When you do get a bike though get what you like, noone's opinion on here is going to sway your choice (as soon as you ride a bike and like it thats the one you'll get anyway. If you do get a bike get good gear.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by crx51 View Post
    I currently have no bike and i hate it, every time i hear or see a bike my heart longs to coat hanger the rider off the bike just to take it for a quick ride. Ill tell you this, own a bike and it will be forever in your blood. Every day i try and think of a way i can get another one.
    That days is approaching for me as well, wife and I are looking to buy a house and we need the extra cash in the short term. I am already not sure how I am going to handle not having a bike for how ever long it will be.

However at least another bike WILL one day grace my garage

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    That days is approaching for me as well, wife and I are looking to buy a house and we need the extra cash in the short term. I am already not sure how I am going to handle not having a bike for how ever long it will be.

However at least another bike WILL one day grace my garage
    Mate prepare for a long hard haul.. lol. Listen to me sounding like im mourning the death of a loved one. Bikes are unreal, i cant wait to own another one. Probably be waiting another 2years though. Oh life's hard!

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by crx51 View Post
    Mate prepare for a long hard haul.. lol. Listen to me sounding like im mourning the death of a loved one. Bikes are unreal, i cant wait to own another one. Probably be waiting another 2years though. Oh life's hard!
    Yeah i have been there before so i know how hard it is. I keep photos of bikes I have owned before, it helps the process....well so my therapist says

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 Del Sol
    The actual insurer is Calliden, they are an Australian based company that are now insuring alot of bikes...HOWEVER you have to go through a broker that has a deal setup with them on bikes, or through another broker that can access such deals.

Calliden Australia are MAJOUR *rseholes(to put it simply)there are a huge amount of panel beaters in our industry who refuse to deal with them, myself included.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_CRX View Post
    Calliden Australia are MAJOUR *rseholes(to put it simply)there are a huge amount of panel beaters in our industry who refuse to deal with them, myself included.

Well I have never had a problem with them and I work in the insurance industry. I guess sometimes everyone can have bad experiences from a particular person/company.

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 Del Sol
    Well I have never had a problem with them and I work in the insurance industry. I guess sometimes everyone can have bad experiences from a particular person/company.

DamienS you have NO IDEA period.

The amount of disputes lodged with the Australian Insurance Ombudsman in regards to "repairs" in relation to Calliden Australia is EXTREME, to say the very least.

But hey dont listen to me, or half the panel beaters on the northside of QLD, guys do what ever you want

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_CRX View Post
    DamienS you have NO IDEA period.

The amount of disputes lodged with the Australian Insurance Ombudsman in regards to "repairs" in relation to Calliden Australia is EXTREME, to say the very least.

But hey dont listen to me, or half the panel beaters on the northside of QLD, guys do what ever you want
    Man where did you dig this thread up from , last post was February 2007!!!

All I said was that I never had a problem with them, mind you never had a claim with them either, other people might of but that is not my problem, and who knows maybe their service has gone to crap in the past almost 2 years, like I care anymore, so dip shit before you start saying people have no idea you might need to clarify the point first. And thankfully no I dont deal with any panel beaters especially on the northside.

And this post is also so old that I now have a nice 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750 sitting in my garage, so still riding ohh and no its NOT insured with Calliden.

Dude time to move on, build a bridge and get over it!!! Perhaps you need to lay off the paint fumes!!!!!
    Last edited by DamienS; 06-12-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add