Newcomer Array

[SYD] Driving Schools

Hi Guys,

Being a learner with almost 50 hours, I'd be getting close to getting to my Ps and being...statistically...one of the worst drivers on the road.

I need to get some more hours up, and i'd rather get them from a driving school where they can teach me proper techniques and stuff so I can pass first time.

Anyone in Sydney got any good recomendations for driving schools? Around the Sydney, Ryde area.

Thanks heaps,

Daveo

Member Array
    Car:
    ep3r
    haven't done any...but if you do do one, may as well get one that is recognised by insurance companies so you can pay a lower premium

Member Array
    Car:
    1976 VW Kombi
    when i learnt, i went throught LTrent, which teaches quite well and in detail. they take you through the routes that the examiner may ask you to go so u can farmiliarise it. The only downside is $$
    InTEGRA TYPE R

Roar: I think he means as in driving instructors for the road, as in to help him with his P's test.

But if you mean like advanced driving courses, car control and stuff, I'm doing peter finlay's driving course at Oran Park Raceway tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it goes.

Otherwise, good luck with your test. Going with an instructor will help a lot with little tips for the road, as well as things like remembering to make sure your tester has their belt on before you drive off.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugeneration
    Well I always thought to PLEASURE your girl was anything sexual.

To PLEASE your girl is anything that costs money.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    Only problem i found with these learner schoold is:

THey dont teach you how to drive, they teach you how to pass the test.
    Ctrl + W

That's an excellent point.
    It's hard for the student too, of course. It's what the focus is on generally when you're about to go for your licence. Just like the HSC, it quickly becomes less about the knowledge and more about the piece of paper.

But for learning some proper roadcraft, I can definately recommend the defensive driving course I did today.
    It covers some theory, safety stuff, information on car handling, different drivetrains etc, as well as a few hours of practical, which definately helped me a lot.

Stuff like emergency braking, dry and wet, emergency braking/avoidance around corners, regaining control of a sliding car, avoiding under/oversteer and correcting it, and proper cornering techniques is what *all* drivers should be taught. But unfortunately that's not the case.

Check out Peter Finlay's driving school out at Oran Park mate, not so much for passing the test, but to learn your car's (and your own)limitations and some cool survival skills. It's around $300 but well worth your time, and you get 7hours in your logbook (though that probably doesn't mean much to you, already having near 50)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugeneration
    Well I always thought to PLEASURE your girl was anything sexual.

To PLEASE your girl is anything that costs money.

Member Array
    Car:
    17 HR-V VTi-S
    Driving is quite easy... pretty self explanatory..

i think the hardest part of your P exam would b Parking..

thats what most L platers fear when doing the Ps test..

i still know people who have their Ps who cant even park properly or haf no confidence in parking..

When i was on my Ls.. i learned all my hours from the instructor.. bcoz my parents didnt drive for their own personal reasons.. basically every lesson i did which was 1 hour per lesson usually... i just drove around for 1 hour practicing parking all over the place..

They also make u drive around nearby areas which are near the RTA which u r planning to do the test at..

and once i passed my Ps ... the instructor told me.. It is on your Ps when you 'really' learn how to drive...

Well I learnt a lot practicing with my parents, at the start, I started practicing about 10:30pm either in the backroads or in a large, wide parking lot This way I was able to get familiar with the car without the pressures of others around while able to practice driving doing everything from roundabouts, to junctions, to traffic lights and most importantly parking

As you get confident, slowly venture out to the bigger roads at the same time at night so you get use to multi lanes, you'll have some traffic, normally trucks around my place

Then once your able to handle the speed and the pressures of multilanes then slowly practice in different times slowly getting closer and closer to peak hour.

This is what I did so by the time I got 50 hours, I was able to do everything in the roadbook in a manual and past first time No stuff ups
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 B16A ED9CRX
    When i first learnt to drive, I learnt how to use a Mnual car for 10-15mins. From there, the instructor told me to go on to the Main Road...

AHHHH!!!!!

Wasn't so bad.
    ... [ About Me | My Blog ] ...

Honda Parts For Sale
    Check out the Listing

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I remember my instructor put me in an empty parking lot used for practice, and let me drive in circles for about 1 hour. I couldn't even reverse without killing the engine. The next lesson he said to go on the road. Talk about being thrown into the deep end.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2