ive got an EK4 cluster (tacho equipped) in my EK1
    the problem is that the fuel gauge doesnt work properly
    the needle goes no higher than half no matter what

HELP!
    CXi POWER

Member Array
    Car:
    ep3r
    does the fuel guage decrease like normal from halfway?

if so, and your fuel guage worked with your ek1 cluster...then that just eliminates it down to the cluster's fuel guage being rooted, possibly in the way of a physical impediment or a weak stepping motor

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7
    i dont think its your cluster,

have you taken the cluster out b4 and yanked around the gauges? e.g. placing illuminious face gauges and had to remove the fuel gauges needle? if so then you will need to calibrate the needle, this is best done if u have filled up on a full tank or when your running on E empty. in this case you will need to turn on the key to ignition (dont start the bastard) and watch the fuel gauge needle, then pull out the needle and put it back in to where it should be (e.g. full tank or empty)

Now if you did not remove the cluster b4, then you will need to remove your fuel pump and check the fuel gauge sensor which should be part of the fuel pump assembly.

check to see if the joints and soldering are all ok, WARNING do not smoke or lit any spark or fire when holding the fuel pump. if the connection looks bad, then let the sensor dry up and make sure u are away from the car, then re-solder the connections. OTHERWISE borrow a fuel pump - similar to the one u got and plug and play it, and see if it still plays around with the fuel gauge. if it doesnt then problem solved, u need a new fuel gauge sensor. BUT if the gauge is still playin, then you will need to do further isolation tests.

E.g. Try another cluster from the same make/model of another car. - there are other ways of troubleshooting but this will involve a multimeter and the EK1 service manual book. - you can do a search for the book and it has steps of troubleshooting a faulty gauge.

try the above and see how u go.

good luck!
    ------------------------------------------------
    EGK20A - CIVIC Sleeper stylez

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    Hey there i am having similar issues we pulled the sender out which seems to be fine as tested on the bench (can also test in the tank if you know how much fuel you have) with the multimeter as normal operation on a EG civic or Dc2 integra is roughly . 105-110 ohm for empty 25.5-39.5 ohm for half and 2-5 ohm for full tank .after eliminating this and finding the correct readings on the wire at the cluster i believe my gauge is the problem. or try connecting a jumper wire from earth to the sender wire (not to the live wire) if the needle moves towards full the gauge the gauge should be fine(DO NOT LET THE NEEDLE HIT THE TOP MAY DAMAGE AN OTHERWISE FINE GAUGE .
    Last edited by kiwicuz; 08-03-2007 at 10:06 PM.