Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EGTWO
    ^^use the FEO that u've got, thats the stuff i use on my crx, and i find its pretty good, for the price
    i use a new filter as well on every oil change

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_miss_vtec View Post
    Ok - so for a B16a with 115000kms what is the best oil, around the same price as GTX3? (I dont mind spending a little bit more)

Like I said I use Castrol GTX3 15w40 at the moment, but now I am wondering if I should be using something a bit thinner!?

Also I always change my filter when I change oil - I dont see the point in not changing the filter...
    Honda FEO is about $30 for 5L. Castrol Magnatec is about $25-30 for 5L too. Use one of those. If you are willing to spend about $50, then you can also use a synthetic.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by gbang007 View Post
    so the older the car, generally the higher viscosity oil? because i have an ek1, 1996 build with about 190,000km, with no engine mods, pretty much stock except for lowering etc but nothing that should affect the oil, i am using 20-50. Is that about the right viscosity?
    No, it depends on your engine. Instead of 20w-50, I would have used a 10w-50 instead. If you want to go for a lower viscosity, try 10w-40.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Sports 2006
    Hi Ozhonda !!

I own a Civic Sport 2006. It is due for it 10k service and I want to bring my own oil and oil filter. I changed my oil at the 1k service because that was what the service guy recommended and they have put in Castrol Magnatec 10w-30 (it says on my receipt)

I am interested in putting in a full or semi synthetic oil. Will Castrol Edge 5w-30 or Penrite HPR 10 which is 10w-50 be suitable ? I have had a look at the mobil 1 10w-30 but it is $83

Any help, suggestion or recommendation on a good oil will be much appreciated, my budget is about $50.

I have done a search on the purolator site and I think I will be getting their oil filter. it makes sense having a good oil filter heheh

Thanks again for any help and suggestions

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4lyf
    ELF & FEO ftw for me !
    CEE CEE DUB U

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by kikks9 View Post
    Hi Ozhonda !!

I own a Civic Sport 2006. It is due for it 10k service and I want to bring my own oil and oil filter. I changed my oil at the 1k service because that was what the service guy recommended and they have put in Castrol Magnatec 10w-30 (it says on my receipt)

I am interested in putting in a full or semi synthetic oil. Will Castrol Edge 5w-30 or Penrite HPR 10 which is 10w-50 be suitable ? I have had a look at the mobil 1 10w-30 but it is $83

Any help, suggestion or recommendation on a good oil will be much appreciated, my budget is about $50.

I have done a search on the purolator site and I think I will be getting their oil filter. it makes sense having a good oil filter heheh

Thanks again for any help and suggestions
    Edge 5w-30 is fine. Don't use HPR 10, it's too thick. If you service every 6 months, Edge 5w-30 is more than enough.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Sports 2006
    Thanks aaron. It is good to hear that. I wanted to put something a little better because of the reasons below.

I just spoke to a mate of mine. he said that i should not service my car using the km. I am doing that now, I have just reached 10k service and I am bringing the civic in for it's second service. My mate told me that i should service it 6 months or 10k whichever comes first. I am confused because I thought most people go by KM's ..... and the service people have not told me otherwise. I dont drive alot, it took me almost a year to clock up 10k. If i do it every 6 months wow, i think i will be wasting my money because i only drive so little.

What do you all of you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Edge 5w-30 is fine. Don't use HPR 10, it's too thick. If you service every 6 months, Edge 5w-30 is more than enough.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Thanks aaron. It is good to hear that. I wanted to put something a little better because of the reasons below.

I just spoke to a mate of mine. he said that i should not service my car using the km. I am doing that now, I have just reached 10k service and I am bringing the civic in for it's second service. My mate told me that i should service it 6 months or 10k whichever comes first. I am confused because I thought most people go by KM's ..... and the service people have not told me otherwise. I dont drive alot, it took me almost a year to clock up 10k. If i do it every 6 months wow, i think i will be wasting my money because i only drive so little.

What do you all of you think ?
    If you do many short journeys, don't follow by kms but do it every 6 months. This is because short journeys don't let the engine oil warm up enough to evaporate any water that mixes with it (water comes from combustion). And as you know, fuel has a little bit of sulphur in it. When sulphur is heated, you get sulfates which interact with the water in your oil, producing sulfuric acid. If you do long journeys once or twice a week and leave your car sitting for the remainder instead, then waiting 1 year won't be so bad.

I just switched from Mobil 1 5w-50 to Redline 15w-50
    and though redline is a "thicker" oil, the engine simply rev'ed so much easier
    than the Mobil 1. The rev's climbed so quickly that I had to pay attention to the revs and even bounced off the rev limiter a couple of times.

Seems like a pretty good oil..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by e240 View Post
    I just switched from Mobil 1 5w-50 to Redline 15w-50
    and though redline is a "thicker" oil, the engine simply rev'ed so much easier
    than the Mobil 1. The rev's climbed so quickly that I had to pay attention to the revs and even bounced off the rev limiter a couple of times.

Seems like a pretty good oil..
    It could be that the Redline is not as stable as Mobil1 and still reduces in viscosity at higher temperatures. So at 100ºC, it could be slightly thinner at 40 or 45 viscosity.

The 15w means that it is thicker at -18ºC. I doubt that you'll be able to notice it since it is still about 10ºC in the mornings.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Sports 2006
    ehehe, aaron, i dont drive alot, not many short trips or long trips. sometimes i dont drive for 2 days.

i live and work in the city but that could change very soon

thanks for the advice though. out of all the people, you made the most sense ahahah.

i bought the castrol edge 5w-30 but not the pureone filter. i think i will just go with the generic honda oil filter service has been booked can't wait for them to fix my warranty issue as well ehehhe...

btw how will you know that your oil is operating at optimum temperature? i usually wait in the car until the temperature goes up to 2 or 3 bars and then only start my journey.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    If you do many short journeys, don't follow by kms but do it every 6 months. This is because short journeys don't let the engine oil warm up enough to evaporate any water that mixes with it (water comes from combustion). And as you know, fuel has a little bit of sulphur in it. When sulphur is heated, you get sulfates which interact with the water in your oil, producing sulfuric acid. If you do long journeys once or twice a week and leave your car sitting for the remainder instead, then waiting 1 year won't be so bad.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    ehehe, aaron, i dont drive alot, not many short trips or long trips. sometimes i dont drive for 2 days.

i live and work in the city but that could change very soon

thanks for the advice though. out of all the people, you made the most sense ahahah.

i bought the castrol edge 5w-30 but not the pureone filter. i think i will just go with the generic honda oil filter service has been booked can't wait for them to fix my warranty issue as well ehehhe...

btw how will you know that your oil is operating at optimum temperature? i usually wait in the car until the temperature goes up to 2 or 3 bars and then only start my journey.
    The Honda oil filter is better than most aftermarket ones out there. I usually let the engine run for 30 seconds to let the oil circulate before I drive off. Then I don't use any heavy throttle and limit revs to 3000rpm until the needle reaches the middle. Then I let it have a little more throttle but no full throttle and no going above 4000rpm until twice the amount of time has passed. I'm just picky.