Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX

Gday guys what motor oil is everyone using?

Gday guys as the title says im wondering what oils everyone uses in there crxs? And civics. I ask because id like to use a premium oil but have heard of quite a few cars that dont like mobil one etc (eg holden ls1's). Love to hear what you are using.

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    In My EGSi with a 200,000Kms ZC engine like the AUDM CRX I used to use Castrol R/Edge 5W30 and that used to use about 0.75L of oil between oil change ( 5000km ). I now use Shell Helix 5W/40 and it uses less than 0.5L over a longer service interval ( 7500Km ).

Just try different brands and grades for yourself and see what works for you. It's much better to use good quality, non exotic oils and change it ( and oil filter ) regularly at say 5000km and to use $$$ 0W/40 or the exotic Amsoil and redline type of oil and have extended drain periods of x0,000kms.

The 10W30 grade is a good starting point, and there are no dud ones out there in this grade. Valvoline tends to be the cheapest of the big brands at $27.50?5L, the Nulon and Pennzoil are closer to the $30 mark, the Shell ECO 10 is about $38, and the Honda FEO about $30-40 at dealers.

I use the Valvoline 10W-30 in my ED GL sdn, Castrol Edge 5W30 in our DC2R, Castrol Edge 0W40 in my C36 AMG, Valvoline XLD engine armour 15W40 for my VR Com-mode V6 and Castrol Edge 10W60 for my BMW 2002 historic racecar. Some of the choices were no brainers and some of them took me a few oil changes over a period of a year or two to work out which oil worked best judged by its deterioration by sight and by oil analysis results and its effects of fuel economy and throttle response.
    Last edited by EG30; 17-02-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ep3r
    not a fan of the castrol edge...
    big fan of mobil 1 gold but yes it is $$$

a good one i've been using recently is fuchs 10w30

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    Thanks for your input guys, very informative. What does everyone else on the forum tend to use??

Honda FEO 10-30w can be used on all honda's. Its good stuff which you change every 5,000ks anyway. Cant complain here.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    I've been running Fuchs 10w30 just from a convenience point of view; it being readily available all hours of the day and night and being relatively cheap too

These days I'd be more likely to run Elf or Pennzoil depending whats going to be on tap

Why fork out $60 for oil when you can get virtually the same if not better stuff for less than $2.50/L
    Last edited by Drew; 17-02-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    not a fan of the castrol edge...
    big fan of mobil 1 gold but yes it is $$$

a good one i've been using recently is fuchs 10w30
    me 2
    65buxish for 5L
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    Coles motoroil ftw!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    so you really dont have to use genuine honda oil like it says lol

mobil 1 gold ay..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Do a search. If you change every 5000km, then Honda FEO. If you change it every 10,000km/6 months, then go for a synthetic. I use Castrol Edge 5w-30 and 0w-40.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

ive been trying a few diff ones

motul 300v 10 40

caltex havoline full synth

and mobil1 super synth

i think motul would have to be the better oil but it just dpends on how much money u wanna spend

but honda feo ftw :P if ur pov :P

Member Array
    Car:
    ep3r
    in terms of fluids...

motor oil - don't have to use genuine...there are alot of good alternatives to suit any need

brake fluid - for a daily car, honda stuff is great, for trackwork etc go for something better like motul

radiator fluid - honda or an aftermarket...tho make sure you pick your aftermarket coolant very carefully...its easier just to use hondas

gearbox fluid - honda MTF only (for manuls...no idea for autos)...i don't trust aftermarket

filters wise...if you change them regularly, an aftermarket filter will do fine