Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EM1

Forum copyright blah etc..

Am i allowed to scan magazine tech articles and put them on the forum?

i have a few magazines laying around with articles that can answer peoples questions like difference between intercoolers etc..

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    as long as you provide full reference i dont see the problem with it

some others have a more anal view on things
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    who's head honcho around here?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 0098 View Post
    Am i allowed to scan magazine tech articles and put them on the forum?

i have a few magazines laying around with articles that can answer peoples questions like difference between intercoolers etc..
    No you can't unless you get permission from the copyright owner. If we said yes - what would stop people from scanning up full car magazines for everyone to look at? You can imagine what the publishers would think of that - lost profits...You don't need to speak to the head honcho - this is already covered in our terms and conditions.
    Last edited by yfin; 22-02-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    what if i scan it host it elsewhere and provide a link?

then the ball is in my court?? or is the forum still farked?

they are like 3 years old and no longer on sale if that makes a difference
    Last edited by 0098; 22-02-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin View Post
    No you can't unless you get permission from the copyright owner. If we said yes - what would stop people from scanning up full car magazines for everyone to look at? You can imagine what the publishers would think of that - lost profits...You don't need to speak to the head honcho - this is already covered in our terms and conditions.
    i thought if it was for educational purposes and constituted less than 10% of the size of the magazine or source it was ok

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    yeh like i said they are old over 2-3 years old. So i dont see any profit loss, if anything it will promote the magazine by people seeing they actually provide good information.

Anyway let me know, i dont call the shots.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    "writing" means a mode of representing or reproducing words, figures or symbols in a visible form, and written has a corresponding meaning. (1A) Without limiting the meaning of the expression educational purposes in this Act, a copy of the whole or a part of a work or other subject‑matter shall be taken, for the purposes of the provision in which the expression appears, to have been made, used or retained, as the case may be, for the educational purposes of an educational institution if:
    (a) it is made or retained for use, or is used, in connection with a particular course of instruction provided by the institution; or
    (b) it is made or retained for inclusion, or is included, in the collection of a library of the institution.
    (2) Without limiting the meaning of the expression reasonable portion in this Act, where a literary, dramatic or musical work (other than a computer program) is contained in a published edition of that work, being an edition of not less than 10 pages, a copy of part of that work, as it appears in that edition, shall be taken to contain only a reasonable portion of that work if the pages that are copied in the edition:
    (a) do not exceed, in the aggregate, 10% of the number of pages in that edition; or
    (b) in a case where the work is divided into chapters exceed, in the aggregate, 10% of the number of pages in that edition but contain only the whole or part of a single chapter of the work.
    (2A) Without limiting the meaning of the expression reasonable portion in this Act, if a person makes a reproduction of a part of:
    (a) a published literary work (other than a computer program or an electronic compilation, such as a database); or
    (b) a published dramatic work;
    being a work that is in electronic form, the reproduction is taken to contain only a reasonable portion of the work if:
    (c) the number of words copied does not exceed, in the aggregate, 10% of the number of words in the work; or
    (d) if the work is divided into chapters--the number of words copied exceeds, in the aggregate, 10% of the number of words in the work, but the reproduction contains only the whole or part of a single chapter of the work.

NOW ~ ISSUES

1) i am not a lawyer
    2) It says for educational purposes. but I dunno if that means its limited to educational institutions.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 0098 View Post
    what if i scan it host it elsewhere and provide a link?

then the ball is in my court?? or is the forum still farked?
    Hyperlinking is also problematic as this is published material we are talking about so lost profits are at stake (read litigation potential). Unless it falls within one of the exemptions under copyright legislation it is an issue. Scanning and posting it up for the whole world to read is not an exempt activity..

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    post it in the lounge where only members can read than

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by yourfather View Post
    i thought if it was for educational purposes and constituted less than 10% of the size of the magazine or source it was ok
    Educational purposes has a specific meaning - posting items on a forum for the entire world to read is stretching that definition too far.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by yourfather View Post
    post it in the lounge where only members can read than
    and how does that prevent it being a breach of Copyright?