Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R

1/4 Mile Technique

HEY GUYS, i recently ran at heathcote, i have a 2000 ITR with I/H/E it was stinking hot, running into a strong wind and with very VERY shit tyres. I ran a 14.87 at 94 mph. My question is what is most peoples techniques for launching off the line??? and what time did they get and mph. Ie. what rpm did you launch at?? and did you drop the clutch? or did you ride it a lil bit? ie. let it out slowly? On my crappy runs (15's) i dropped the clutch and got wayyyyy too much wheel spin, but then on my better runs (14's) i rode the clutch a bit (engaged it slower) while holding the accelartor steady until wheel spin stopped. if i did this time in these conditions i cant wait to do a run with a proper airbox (no heat soak) better tires (215's perhaps) and a cold night.... should do 14.2 ish??? so yeah i look forward to it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    Sounds like the conditions didnt phase your car too much then. 14.87 is a pretty good time. Well done mate. Keep us updated on your future times. 14.2 is pretty damn quick if you get that then you should be real happy i reckon. Id love to have a type r to park next to my crx. Couldnt sell the crx for one though, love it too much.
    Keep the posts coming then mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18c
    Mid 14s mate... with good take off low 14s..
    i ran 14.2@96mph 2 mph more than you so id say for sure ud be a able to do it...
    Nissan S15: 12.6@113mph
    Integra GSi: 15.1@91mph
    Civic B18c N/A : 14.1@98mph
    CRX B18c N/A : 13.9@101mph

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    It depends on your tires/clutch/suspension whether you ride or dump the clutch but I pretty much always dump the clutch...

But then again I really don't care much for drag racing although it is great fun ^_^

Only advise I can give you is that practice makes perfect

You don't have to worry about everything at once, just worry about getting your reaction down to a consistently low time, then worry about the 60' time, then worry about the 400m and trap speed. Just take one step at a time...
    But for now just give it a good thrashed and get used to drag racing, then focus on getting the times down
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK civic
    mph doesnt mean same times.. geez

i could run a 10sec pass in my rx7 @ 96mph lol, doesnt mean anything.. Its how well u do in the 60ft as well as the rest of the run.

If you do an incredible 60ft time say 1.8sec in ur fwd but because u havent got any power, youll still get a reasonable time. 14.8 is a great time and dont think for a second that because u dont have wind this time, or better tyres that ur gonna shave off .6sec of ur time.. if you dont have the power to keep the car accelerating.. you wont improve too much. i reckon your lookin @ mid 14s unless you get urself the perfect launch then its low 14's

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18c
    10sec pass at 96mph..
    ummm can be done if u slam your brakes on and decrease your speed before crossing line..
    Nissan S15: 12.6@113mph
    Integra GSi: 15.1@91mph
    Civic B18c N/A : 14.1@98mph
    CRX B18c N/A : 13.9@101mph

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    just all about practice.

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    not sure what you were expecting. thoughs times sound pretty normal.

what was your 60foot time? And was the car running full interier?
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    thanks guys.... but 14.8 is shit for headers, exhaust and racing intake( exposed filter).... i know for a fact 14.2 is possible (maybe lower, with pefection).... i had full interior and a few traction problems.... but as soon as i slipped the clutch better take offs were possible... dumping the clutch just got wayyyy too much wheel spin. The reaction time means shit... u can sit there for a day and still get a good time.... the timer isnt triggered till you cross the beam. My 60' times were 2.4 my best being 2.36 however due to bad conditions everything was shit. Again you guys are right though practice makes perfect and it was my first time. Ill let you guys know when better tires go on, an air box goes on and i actually run on a cold night.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    oh... and a few runs i did that were in the 15's with no traction i ran 96-7mph... so power/ speed wasnt a problem... just finding the sweet spot and getting the clutch control right coupled with quick shifts was hard to do

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    Of course 14.2 is possible, but it's funny when reality hits people, there are lot of things you still need to do. For example most that get low 14's with I/H/E have Stripped interior, good tyres (semi's even at times), right tyre pressure, better launch ie 60foot time. 2.0~2.2 on ordinary street tyres, 1.9~2.0 on semi's, 1.7~1.9 on slicks would be what you'd expect from most guys that have been down the strip a few times.

Since you're hitting 96-97mph your car is definitely capable of a low 14sec pass, if you do everything right.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    yeh funny how most people on this forum think that with some mods they can expect to hit the strip and pull a good time first up....

just takes practice i suppose. some people are good and can do good times first up, some cant.