Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metal scraping noise front left

Hi,

Just in the past few days, each time I start my car and drive it, there is a metal scraping noise that is predominately on the front left. The noise continues for about 1-2 minutes and disappears completely after.

The noise doesn't occur when the car is stationary.

I have a 2002 stock civic sedan.

Any advice is appreciated.

Paul

Member Array
    Car:
    SHIT BOX
    break pads might be warn??
    WHY WASTE MONEY ON 10k BUILDS WHEN A STOCK MOTOR CAN RUN THAT TIME.......

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    i was going to suggest the same thing. brake pad could be worn down to the indicator stripping.

do u drive your car not often ? Is it left outside and rained upon ?
    OR what type of pads are you using ?
    Could be surface rust which wears off quickly ( the discs look like brown blotches on them) or the front left pad is unevenly worn - or the disc needs machining

It could very well be the brakes, it was just odd that it only occurred at the start of the drive.

I'll take it to the mechanics today. Thanks.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Infusion View Post
    It could very well be the brakes, it was just odd that it only occurred at the start of the drive.

I'll take it to the mechanics today. Thanks.
    Probably rust on the rotor being worn off......
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    do u drive your car not often ? Is it left outside and rained upon ?
    OR what type of pads are you using ?
    Could be surface rust which wears off quickly ( the discs look like brown blotches on them) or the front left pad is unevenly worn - or the disc needs machining
    I drive the car almost everyday. I leave the car outside most nights which would explain the motor rusting. Is rusting a major problem, or something I can safely ignore?

I'm not sure of the brand, but I assume my mechanic uses stock honda pads.

Would you recommend to have the discs machined? If I don't, are there any long term effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Infusion View Post
    I drive the car almost everyday. I leave the car outside most nights which would explain the motor rusting. Is rusting a major problem, or something I can safely ignore?

I'm not sure of the brand, but I assume my mechanic uses stock honda pads.

Would you recommend to have the discs machined? If I don't, are there any long term effects?
    sorry i meant the DISC ROTORS rusting.
    These get surface rust after resting , especially after it rains.
    The rust is worn back off quickly once the car is driven again. You will hear a "quiet" scratching noise when takign off but this will go away after a few steps on the brakes.

To machine your discs is pretty cheap - about $20 per disc (once they are off). This slightly shaves down the surface removing any dimples or markings etc that can make the disc under perform and wobble during heavy braking

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    sorry i meant the DISC ROTORS rusting.
    These get surface rust after resting , especially after it rains.
    The rust is worn back off quickly once the car is driven again. You will hear a "quiet" scratching noise when takign off but this will go away after a few steps on the brakes.

To machine your discs is pretty cheap - about $20 per disc (once they are off). This slightly shaves down the surface removing any dimples or markings etc that can make the disc under perform and wobble during heavy braking
    I've noticed that, after a few stops the rotors are clean again.

$20/dics is cheap. I assume it wouldn't cost much more for mechanic to remove what's needed and machine is themselves.

The scraping noise has disappeared, and like everyone here has suggested, it was the brakes/rotor causing it. It sounded more serious because it wasn't the typical high pitched tinning noise I normally get when the brakes were worn. Anyway, I got the rear brake pads changed for $70. Thank you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    rust on the rotors is normal, you only need to machine them if they are scratched and are no-longer smooth. I agree with the above, check you brake pads first they are prob wearing out
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    metal scraping noise = brake rotor disc dust cover/shield. bend it with ur hands away from the rotors

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    brake pads wear indicator just touching the disc surface when cold most likely.

when was the last time the front pads were changed?