Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Long history

EF8 Engine Mounts.. stiffer/fresher solution?

Just wondering what my options are in regards to stiffening/freshing up my engine mounts in my EF8.

I see engine mount inserts from Energy Suspesion for DC2 and EG. But ofcourse nothing for JDM EF.

I also hear people fill their mounts with certain resins or substances?

So what i am wondering is, how many mounts are there for the engine in an EF8. Are any of these mounts the same in another car? And suggestions on what to do with them?

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    I would also like to know.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    thanks drew...

yeah i have been researching various methods of filling with polyurethane..
    seems that there are a few different variations. eg: filling the gaps, removing all the rubber and using nothing but urethane and even using inserts and some urethane with them.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    You can try it whatever way you like it... If it doesn't quiet work for you, whats stopping you from doing it again a different way?

How about some rep ?
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX SiR turbo
    im pretty sure they only want to do this once, as you need to drop out the motor everytime to do this.

from my conversion work last yr, i couldnt find any company that supplied aftermarket engine mounts other than oem ones from honda. not even HASPORT.

theres 4 oem mounts, front,rear,side(trans),side

but from speaking to honda, i did find out that the front and rear mounts are from a DC2, so you could get some aftermarket ones there like HASPORT, then use oem ones and/or filled with polyurethane if you want..

what about a engine damper kit?.. then again, i havent seen nothing for ef8 either.
    NEW hondata s200. Melb only

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    yeah, engine dampers are a bit of a new fad.. i guess you could find something in similar size and do a bit of custom..

i am sure stiffer mounts should be fine..

Interesting that you say DC2 front are rear mounts are the same as EF8.. but talk is cheap

Filling with urethane will only cost around 40 bucks, where as getting hasport mounts etc etc and f-ing around with that will cost considerabilly more

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    LIMO: is it necessary to drop the engine out to replace a single mount? I have one mount in particular that is buggered and ideally if I could just take that one off and replace the perished rubber with urethane, I wouldn't need any help (pay anyone). It's the front mount infront of the transmission - which I imagine is why power transfer (acceleration or decelleration) makes my car clunk and jerk when I put my foot on or off the pedal.

I haven't increased the power output, so I don't care about increasing the strength of the mounts themselves, but rather, replace the bushing with something more enduring.

What's the reason for needing to drop down? Can't the mount be removed if a bit of upwards pressure is placed on the tranny (ie jack with wood chuck)?

Does anyone know roughly what the difference in flexibility is between the OEM rubber bush and 50A, 55A etc?

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    place the car on stands
    jack the engine up slightly to remove pressure on mounts. place a block of wood onto of a trolly jack.

you should be able to remove the mount with a bit of effort.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ventura Bus Route
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxs View Post
    yeah, engine dampers are a bit of a new fad.. i guess you could find something in similar size and do a bit of custom..

i am sure stiffer mounts should be fine..

Interesting that you say DC2 front are rear mounts are the same as EF8.. but talk is cheap

Filling with urethane will only cost around 40 bucks, where as getting hasport mounts etc etc and f-ing around with that will cost considerabilly more
    how are you mate. i tried the polyurethane method with the DA. Huge difference, very easy to do. If i where you id buy a set of 2nd hand ordinary mounts and go to town with them.

what you could also do, is take your old 2nd hand mounts, go to purple pig with your mounts and they'll make new inserts for you, as stiff as you want. i estimate around $70. so IMO its a happier medium between Bunnings ($20 a tube) and HASport (400+)

btw, i just bought an siR

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    CRX SiR? Welcome to the club :P

So purple pig you say... I'm still trying to figure out what the best hardess would be. Something inbetween 50A (bunnings) and 70A that industrial resin some other poster in another thread mentioned, probably.

If the mounts are fine (just the bushes are rooted), no need to buy new ones, right?

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    he was in the club before us dylan then left

ofcourse u dont need new mounts if the bushings are the only things stuffed.. because essentially that is what is getting replaced/substituted.

i am intrigued by purple pig.. what process do they use, setting a urethane? or a solid urethane cut/machined into place?