Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

koni yellow adjustable

hey guys, ive got koni yellow adjustable but not the twist top...
    just wondering does anyone knows how to adjust it?
    its my rear one and its on gen5 accord.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    hey sugz. You can check what series it is using the serial number and check on the koni website. But I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the ones I used to have.

If so it's a pain in the ass. You have to take the shock out of the car, take the spring out. Then you push down on the rod while twisting it. When you get to the bottom you should feel it click into place. Then while keeping it compressed you can turn it either way to adjust it.

there should be a small tiny lip on the very top of the shock - its this which you adjust the damper in most koni yellow shocks.
    The "height" is adjusted via 2 or 3 grooves in the shock. You move the cir-clip up or down and the entire spring perch/assembly sits on it , raising or lowering the car.

well from the instruction paper that comes with it, it shows that i need to push it and twist it, but doing so i need to take the whole suspension out dont i? thats what i dont want...
    so is there any other way of doing it without taking the whole thing out?

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    Fairly sure there isn't. The top just has the allen key hole yeah?

my one has the koni knob - no need to push. just turn. Once adjusted, i just take this knob off.
    see pic:

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    Yeah certain series' of the koni shocks adjust in different ways. The cb/cd shocks don't have that knob on the rear. Which sucks.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    there is no way of doing it otherwise - they have to be out of the car - full stop.

You don't twist them while pushing the shock in either, you push it IN all the way - then twist. I believe if you twist clockwise it will stiffen the shock, counter-clockwise will make it softer.

Best way to make them both be identical - push the rod in and turn 'counter-clockwise' while counting how many turns till it hits the end eg: 2 full turns and 1/4 turn (so you know thats your current setting).
    You then turn it clockwise as many turns as you like either less than 2.1/4 or over - 3-4 etc.. then you do thesame to the other side - that way both shocks are identical setting.

And warning here Use GOOD spring compressors to compress the spring - don't try undoing the bolt without having the spring compressed securely - you risk injury!
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTR View Post
    You don't twist them while pushing the shock in either, you push it IN all the way - then twist.
    It shouldn't make a difference. Koni site says to twist while pushing in. But either way will work.

And warning here Use GOOD spring compressors to compress the spring - don't try undoing the bolt without having the spring compressed securely - you risk injury!
    If you're careful you can get them off without compressors easily. Just do it with them lieing on the ground stick a pile of rags and something solid in front and behind to catch any bits. But depending what springs you're putting back on you still might need the compressors. Not an issue for the op anyway since he has GC's.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipsor View Post
    It shouldn't make a difference. Koni site says to twist while pushing in. But either way will work.

If you're careful you can get them off without compressors easily. Just do it with them lieing on the ground stick a pile of rags and something solid in front and behind to catch any bits. But depending what springs you're putting back on you still might need the compressors. Not an issue for the op anyway since he has GC's.
    perhaps it doesn't make a difference, if you twist while pushing down, i suppose its something to be experimented with - i believe measuring the amount of damper adjustment is done while the strut is pushed in.

as for releasing springs without compressors - we've had this discussion before on here - as I said Its a warning, if you end up with a broken arm, a broken leg or worse don't complain - safety with compressed springs is paramount.
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

as for releasing springs without compressors - we've had this discussion before on here - as I said Its a warning, if you end up with a broken arm, a broken leg or worse don't complain - safety with compressed springs is paramount.

true true -= its incredibly stupid to undo a shocks upper nut without compressing the springs - as said it CAN shoot off and deflect around the room / area injuring someone , or breaking something.
    Tried it once while tired and annoyed - and boy did i learn not to do it again.
    *clicked* off and shot into my ankle and left a divot and freaking numbing pain for a good hr or so.

USE SPRING COMPRESSORS ! OR GET SOMEONE WHO HAS THEM!