Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The main time you'll get oversteer or understeer in a car is at turn in and quite frankly i'd rather have a little bit of over steer rather then understeer at this point cause you'll always have the drive and steering input from the front wheels to pull you round the corner.

If you get understeer you won't be able to turn or power out you just gotta try to slow the car down until traction becomes available again. Which could be too late if you've already gone off the track or over the edge of a cliff.

As for on power or lift off (weight transfer) oversteer. Its more likely to be weight transfer oversteer.

You're more likely to get understeer due to power rather then oversteer in a FWD car.

I guess it come down to individual driving techniques and styles.

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    The main time you'll get oversteer or understeer in a car is at turn in and quite frankly i'd rather have a little bit of over steer rather then understeer at this point cause you'll always have the drive and steering input from the front wheels to pull you round the corner.

If you get understeer you won't be able to turn or power out you just gotta try to slow the car down until traction becomes available again. Which could be too late if you've already gone off the track or over the edge of a cliff.

As for on power or lift off (weight transfer) oversteer. Its more likely to be weight transfer oversteer.

You're more likely to get understeer due to power rather then oversteer in a FWD car.

I guess it come down to individual driving techniques and styles.
    Manufacturers always promote understeer in their cars from the factory. This is because in a cornering situation (ie understeer or oversteer), people panic and respond by automatically hit the brakes. in an understeer situation this ok as the car slows grip returns to the front wheels and you regain steering control. in a oversteer situation you hit the brakes the a chance you could spin the car losing even more control. Its a way of idiot proofing the car so people don't put it backwards through someones fence.

yes a more advanced driver will know in a oversteer situation how to control it. but for normal people understeer is safer.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR Coupe View Post
    Manufacturers always promote understeer in their cars from the factory. This is because in a cornering situation (ie understeer or oversteer), people panic and respond by automatically hit the brakes. in an understeer situation this ok as the car slows grip returns to the front wheels and you regain steering control. in a oversteer situation you hit the brakes the a chance you could spin the car losing even more control. Its a way of idiot proofing the car so people don't put it backwards through someones fence.

yes a more advanced driver will know in a oversteer situation how to control it. but for normal people understeer is safer.
    I agree totally.

I agree totally.
    in all - its common sense to promote understeer bias in this forum dont you think ?
    Id rather have the front end start to go wide and have time to correct throttle , than the back end snap out under lift off and just hope to catch it with opposite lock n gas.

It depends totally on the balance of the car. (swaybar setup)

It is just what i prefer.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    lol ahh u guys thanks for the extra input. atm the car handles very well. but for comfort issues and daily driving im starting to get back pains....almost. so just want to soften up abit.

i had a look at other coils for eks and some are 11-3...so i think ill go 2-3 Kg ratings down for my rear and set my damper to harder setting instead. because atm my damper is on 0 and its already hard enough.

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by EK4R View Post
    i had a look at other coils for eks and some are 11-3...
    11-3?!?! what manufacture? i cant imagine that would be well balanced car. my spring rates are 4-3 and most coilovers are a max of 2.5-3.0kg difference.
    yeah i totally understand about comfort for every day driving i would hate to be running 10-8 on a road but i would probably go softer all round rather than just decreasing the back keeping the balance of the car.

but like we have said its not going to be super dangerous or anything like that to step down in the rear. it will just upset your track/spirited driving with more understeer.
    Last edited by CTR Coupe; 08-04-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    not sure. it was some ebay one and they said you can adjust your springs. anyways yea thanks for the feedback. im either sticking to HA or might go down to flex. i heard customs springs can be quiet costly?? anyone know? fork a little more and you can probably source some 2nd hand coils.

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by EK4R View Post
    not sure. it was some ebay one and they said you can adjust your springs. anyways yea thanks for the feedback. im either sticking to HA or might go down to flex. i heard customs springs can be quiet costly?? anyone know? fork a little more and you can probably source some 2nd hand coils.
    I wouldn't think they would be more than $400 for a set of 4. best investigate rather than assume. I'm looking at some harder springs made for my car haven't inquired about prices yet but i know where they do make springs here in Adelaide.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    lets swap

EDIT: i was quoted 700 for 4 made by tein from BT-Revolution. and as for HA's...its discont so dunno if they have them anymore

If you're getting back pains i'd be looking at the seat more then the suspension.

The seat will be causeing the problem and the bouncing of the car will be making it noticeable to you.

If you're getting back pains i'd be looking at the seat more then the suspension.

The seat will be causeing the problem and the bouncing of the car will be making it noticeable to you.
    good point

ive founds STOCK seats to be terrible with lower/stiffer suspension.
    You simply roll all over the place and its a hammering for your lower back and kidneys. You will event then be able to drive the car properly as you wont slide around mid corner too.
    Get something like a nice recaro SR series or something off a higher spec model that suits your car ( CRX / DC2R / S2k etc)