Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Cusco Zero 2 - What damper settings are you using?

Just thought it might be interesting to see what other members are using in terms of damper settings on their cusco zero 2's and how their sussy set up is working.

My current set up on my dc2 vtir:

Cusco Zero 2 coilovers with apexi springs 16K Front, 12K rear.
    Spoon/vision Strut braces front and back
    Type R rear sway
    Dunlop sp sport maxx tread
    Damper setting set on 3 front and 3 rear.

Opinion:

Really like the damper settings at this setting. I realise it's a hardish setting but it handles extremely well. Nice turn in and barely any body roll.

Have tried:

Front 3, rear 2. Not bad setting, but found the back at a softer setting feel was too uneven.

Front and Back setting 2. Not bad, but noticeable difference between setting 2 and 3. Prefer the harder setting. I'll use this setting if I'm driving passengers lol... Easier setting for day to day driving and comfort.

I am going to try setting 2 front and 3 rear when I get a chance too.

The current setting is much more comfortable than my old tanabe coilovers when I first got them which gave you whiplash lol...

I won't try setting 4 and 5 until I take the car to the track.

What settings are you guys running?
    Last edited by Spunkymonkey; 30-06-2007 at 08:03 PM.
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    My spring rates are a lot softer 3k front 4k rear. Run around town I’m usually 2 front/1 rear mostly for comfort reasons. I run 2/2 for spirited driving.

Semi slicks are required to take full advantage of the higher dampener settings. On the road I would keep the dampeners low as its easier to lose traction with the state of our crappy roads at the higher settings it’s too stiff to keep contact with the road.

2/1 car feels neutral pushed to the car tends slightly towards understeer its not really noticeable until you run out of grip.

2/2 the car feels very neutral even tending a bit towards oversteer conditions very slightly however this setting is a little more unpredictable at the edge of the grip levels.

3/2 ran this setting once too much understeer(for my liking) as my tires didn’t have enough grip to keep contact with the road. (Not crappy tires either silica based high end road tires. Hankcook Ventus V8 RS)

Never run the rear harder than the front 1 /2, 2/ 3 or 3 /4 etc. the car can get very tail happy/unpredictable.

And don’t be a dumbass and do this to be massive FWD drifto master you will only spin the car/lose control. If you want to see what it does do it on the track where there are less obstacles to hit.
    Last edited by CTR Coupe; 15-04-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks for your input. Are you running thicker swaybars and strut braces?
    Planning to take the car back to the track some day (with the semis I've got lying about), just interested to see what everyone was running on the street. I'm finding my tyres have pretty decent grip, so it's pretty predictable. Not planning to run any higher than the current settings. Yes I know the state of the roads are pretty crappy, I just take it a bit easier on the sections of the Hume which are really bad, but generally finding it ok.

Cheers.
    blah blah blah

I was thinking about getting a set of these for my EM1. I Love the harder suspension. Feels a lot better once u get used to the harshness. but yeah would u recomend these. I currently have Koni Yellows with King super lows, but i think they are a bit stuffed as they don't feel as stiff as they used to.
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    I run 4 all round, find a fun bit of road/track you know and go through it a few times with a few different settings, i hit a corner near my work every day for 2 weeks starting at 1 all round then 2f/1r then 3f/1r etc...

I also only lowered it a little over 1" all round to not upset the roll center to much

if you look in the instructions they say that 1 is for comfy stock, 2~3 is is for normal tyres 3~4 for high grip street tyres and 5 is for track, it something like that anyway.

My tyres are toyo t1r all round so grip is good
    Last edited by Jomsy; 16-04-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks for the replies.

DYNALL yes really like them and would recommend them...

Jomsy are you running stock rims or bigger rims? Do you find 4 all around a bit harsh, especially on Sydney rds?

The height on mine are almost as high as you can put them....so front...is about 2.5- 3 finger gap...back...1.5 to 2 finger gap (I got small fingers btw) but I have a big front bar, so can't really lower it too much....it was too dumped before and I couldn't get up any driveways.

I used to have EG6 sussy on and what I found in comparison with the shock length was the EG6 rear shocks are actually longer than the DC2R ones. The EG6 rear ones at the lowest height setting were still higher than the DC2R ones at the highest setting lol... so the rear of the car is sitting a bit lower than it was before.

Yes, I've read up on the recommended settings online....

will do some more testing when I get a chance to when I'm not so busy at work...
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    i got 17" with 205/40 tyre's, its a little harsh on sydney roads, but given i only drive about 1 a month i can handle it

Member Array
    Car:
    60-POV
    Quote Originally Posted by DNYALL View Post
    I was thinking about getting a set of these for my EM1. I Love the harder suspension. Feels a lot better once u get used to the harshness. but yeah would u recomend these. I currently have Koni Yellows with King super lows, but i think they are a bit stuffed as they don't feel as stiff as they used to.
    If you want stiff suspension then go for something else. These are abit soft imo, but very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomsy View Post
    i got 17" with 205/40 tyre's, its a little harsh on sydney roads, but given i only drive about 1 a month i can handle it
    oh that explains it lol. I drive it every day lol....

Thanks mate

SLOWEGG were you using the Zero 2e's or 2R's and what spring rates were you running?
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey View Post
    Thanks for your input. Are you running thicker swaybars and strut braces?
    Cheers.
    upgraded 20/22 mm(on soft) rear swaybar and front and rear spoon tie bars

DC2 VTiR with Cusco Zero 2's

2/2 street (205/45R16 Toyo T1R)

5/5 track (205/50R15 Toyo R888)

i have 12k front/8k rear springs with 22m Whiteline rear sway bar on hardish setting (not full hard)

strutbraces on both ends...

hope this helps
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    60-POV
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey View Post
    oh that explains it lol. I drive it every day lol....

Thanks mate

SLOWEGG were you using the Zero 2e's or 2R's and what spring rates were you running?
    Im not too sure which one it is but they're the old model, spring rates 8/6. If the fronts were a little stiffer then it would be perfect imo.
    But i usually set my rears one step softer then the fronts. My car is an EG hatch with stock front and rear sway.
    Last edited by SLOWEGG; 19-04-2007 at 12:44 PM.