Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the following mods legal in Aus?

I am thinking about trying to order these from the US. But I read somewhere that fitting projector headlights into a car not designed for them was illegal. I just wanted to check to see if they are legal or not. I also want to remove my side indicators and install a set of mirrors with LED indicators, is that legal?

Head Lights

Tail Lights

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The taillights in the US are different, they have a RED indicator. You need an Orange indicator.

The front headlights may be fine since they are clear. you need to use an Orange bulb though. Plus they need to follow a compliance to be legal - cant remember which compliance it needs to follow
    .© ♪

Good point I never noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Whatever the case I am going to try and find a place in Aus that sells them before I go looking overseas.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    Headligts r illegal aswell they need to be aproved by the Aus government sorry man but cops never realy check anyhows

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    It'll be cheaper overseas.... theres always a set with the clear indicator lens... so you can just buy the orange tinted globes from supercheap.

as for the halos, make sure the actual halo is white coloured only... any other colour is a no no here.

***EDIT***
    oh btw the prices on those sites are exy... eBay ones are heaps cheaper....
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 EK4 (dc2r transplant)
    Make sure its for RHD car too.

Just to let you know -

ANY modifications not certified are usually illegal.
    Its pure chance if you get defected , depending on the attitude of the police officer overlooking your car.

Member Array
    have a look at motorware.com.au in melb dude they may have OZ complied headlights for your car.

I have had no drama's from the cops with mine fitted...

Member Array
    Car:
    95 Accord CD5
    my 2 cents

my headlights are halos from US. i've had them for 1.5yrs...been pulled over by cops twice for blue park lights, buy both times never mentioned abt my heads.

my tailights from US as well with red blinkers...i just bought green bulbs (from autobarn) to make it amber. both times cops have seen them but never mentioned anything abt it.

Side mirrors with LEDs - i have a pair too and they never mentioned anything about it (as long as amber blinkers).

if they are illegal, just pray and hope that u wont get cops that are cluey with cars and mods, lol

Thanks for the input guys. I will check out the aus complianced places first, and then see what mods are needed to make the overseas ones more legit. I really do like the look of those headlights, I just think they look sexy.

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    i had mine in for 1 year .. those projector lights, and fitted with hid ..

brake light at the back ... almost the same style too for my accord..
    only have 3 bulbs placement 2 red 1 clear... i use the clear for indicators as it have to be yellow.. and reverse i connect it to the brake.. so when i brake .. 2 lights come on .. when on reverse is the same 2 lights on .. (u rarely reverse out anyway ) ...

never face trouble here in perth ... BUT is too RISKY for me to do that.. (not recomended but its at ur own will)

but i duno about other states

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Headlights from America will be illegal in Australia

LHD cars the headlights put more light to the right hand side to illuminate signs and the footpath

If you use them here they will blind oncoming traffic...

The headlights MUST be made for a RHD car

There is a small marking on the clear cover to state whether its for RHD or LHD application

Most people here won't be aware of this especially cops as there are few imports and hardly if any LHD cars... In New Zealand it's fairly common knowledge as you are allowed LHD cars but under certain circumstances, its rare but not uncommon
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.