Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array

Best/proper way to run in your engine?

Hi,

Just bought myself a new accord, its only 17km on the clock now and I know how you drive in the first few k's are very crucial for its long term.

Any input?

How long should I warm up the engine first thing in the morning before I drive off?
    MODSTER Motorsport
    visit www.modster.com.au

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Drive it hard. Don't redline it, just load up the engine. For example 60km/hr 4th gear plant the foot till 80-90km/hr

Member Array
    Let it warm up and then you can drive it hard, that's the same on a new or old motor. I run them easy for the first 300-500 miles then harder for the next 1500 miles. Once I hit 1700-2k miles I drive like I normally would. Do oil changes at the first 250 miles, then 500 miles later, then 1k miles later, then 2k miles later, then you can start doing them every 3k or 3 months or what ever you want.

Member Array
    Car:
    2001 Prelude VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Drive it hard. Don't redline it, just load up the engine. For example 60km/hr 4th gear plant the foot till 80-90km/hr
    That is like the worst thing you can do on a new engine.

Drive it how you normally would, but avoid going too high in the RPM range. Also don't do hard launches or anything like that...

What you want to do more often than usual though, is to let the car engine brake (if it's manual)... i.e. you're 100m off the traffic lights and they're red... drop it down a gear or two (depending on your speed) and let the revs/momentum of the engine/tyres slow the car down, this helps the ring to seal as there is load on the engine but it is not at high RPM.

So yeah, use the available rev range - up to a certain point... for my car when I was running it in, I didn't go above 5000RPM (H22A) - but I varied the load on the engine... quick acceleration in low gears (2nd/3rd) up to that 5000RPM... lots of engine braking when going down hills or coming up to traffic lights, etc...

Use it, don't abuse it.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    It's really a grey area...

Some say baby it
    Some say thrash it
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    not sure about breaking in a new engine but try and get the oil and filter changed at the 1,000km/1 month service if you are going to break it in hard (imo)

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    search button buddy

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR View Post
    . Do oil changes at the first 250 miles, then 500 miles later, then 1k miles later, then 2k miles later, then you can start doing them every 3k or 3 months or what ever you want.
    for all current AUDM honda's they have additives in the oil from the factory and Honda actually recommends AGAINST any oil changes until the 10,000km mark.

the Euro still has the oil change at 1000km or 1 month (whatever comes first)
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    drive it like its stolen.. ahahah kidding..

dont thrash it in 1st and 2nd... give it abit in 3rd
    redline is ok.. but dont WOT.. never WOT

I would do a hell alot of 3rd gear engine brakes from high revs all night.
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    as blitz says, also a bit of loading like accelarating in higher gears.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Menthu Rae View Post
    That is like the worst thing you can do on a new engine.

Drive it how you normally would, but avoid going too high in the RPM range. Also don't do hard launches or anything like that...

What you want to do more often than usual though, is to let the car engine brake (if it's manual)... i.e. you're 100m off the traffic lights and they're red... drop it down a gear or two (depending on your speed) and let the revs/momentum of the engine/tyres slow the car down, this helps the ring to seal as there is load on the engine but it is not at high RPM.

So yeah, use the available rev range - up to a certain point... for my car when I was running it in, I didn't go above 5000RPM (H22A) - but I varied the load on the engine... quick acceleration in low gears (2nd/3rd) up to that 5000RPM... lots of engine braking when going down hills or coming up to traffic lights, etc...

Use it, don't abuse it.
    Hi Guys

I ran-in my recently rebuilt D16Y1 SOHC VTec using the hard method as per the instructions here::

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

She’s now done about 10,000Km since the re-build and she hasn't missed a beat, plus I red line her daily

Believe what you want but the article made sense to me, hence the reason I decided to try it..

LukeZen
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    i agree...its a very grey area ?

there was a thread a while on this

as stated earlier
    some people say baby it for first few thousand km's
    others say gun it from start.