Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4

[Review] Oil Cooler - Max Hondapower

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

This is no DIY its an overview and I just want to do a review on this oil cooler setup that I bought of Max-Hondapower trader cause I think this kit is tops.
    This is the kit here:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59191

Its a 3 hose oil cooler kit comprising of Adaptor block, Cooler, and Remote oil filter block. The kit includes everything you need, even a new filter.

'Overall' it was very easy to install and in the end it probably too me 2-3 hours to fully do it all.

Adaptor block ^^^: This is screwed on where the stock oil filter usually sits. Theres an oil out and oil in. Oil out is the one on the side and oil in is the one in the centre. Its just a simple screw in and your done.

Oil cooler ^^^:You need to take off your front bar and make some brackets to mount the cooler. Connect the hose #1 oil out, side hole from the Adaptor block to one side of the cooler.

Remote oil filter block ^^^: Mount the block with the bracket provided somewhere secure. Connect hose #2 from Cooler to this bock on the side hole 'in'. Connect hose #3 from block center hole 'out' back to Adaptor centre hole.

This can be placed where you like, with the bracket included and you can get the length of pipe to suit (filter to engine). I opted to go for a shorter return pipe but I bought a 90 degree fitting from Pirtek.

The filter block also has 1/8 threaded blanks for oil pressure and oil temp.

You will need to add some oil to your car as you effectivly have increased your oil volume. After installation, during startup, make sure you get oil pressure and check for leaks. I opted to remove the spark plugs and injector clips and just cranked the engine over untill I got pressure.

Word of warning: Please do not install and run this or any oil cooler kit without increasing your oil pressure. I have run quite a few tests on oil cooler kits now and you can loose as much as 10psi and thats with a small 10 row cooler.

In conclusion, overall for the price and quality, this kit is very very well worth it. Quality is very good, adaptor blocks are excellent quality, fittings are excellent, cooler is very good, and it looks trick. For $360 I give it my thumbs up.
    Deano.

Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Word of warning: Please do not install and run this or any oil cooler kit without increasing your oil pressure. I have run quite a few tests on oil cooler kits now and you can loose as much as 10psi and thats with a small 10 row cooler.
    Very good point most people wont realise before purchasing a oil cooler kit.
    Apart from this DIY posted by SKREMN
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47308

How else can you increase the pressure to match the increased volume ?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Yes, that DIY by Skremn is very good.

You will only 'loose' pressure by installing a oil cooler.

Its just a fact for example:
    The further the distance you push along liquid the more pressure you will loose the further you go.

What can help with pressure loss:
    Quality pipes,
    Shorter pipes,
    Not to wide pipes (inner diameter)
    less bends,
    Smaller cooler,
    Quality cooler
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 honda integra
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Ive got an oil cooler 80cm thick by 800cm long by 80cm wide...huge
    Do you think the pressure drop will be something to worry about.
    Apart from a dry sump how could you increase oil pressure.
    Can the standard honda oil pump keep up...i always thought it could easily.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by TEGNO1 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Ive got an oil cooler 80cm thick by 800cm long by 80cm wide...huge
    Do you think the pressure drop will be something to worry about.
    Apart from a dry sump how could you increase oil pressure.
    Can the standard honda oil pump keep up...i always thought it could easily.
    Hey man, I take it you mean 8mm x 800mm x 80mm??

If your pressure is too low, you will loose VTEC.

If your pressure is too low, your run the risk or doing a bearing.

You may be ok, but constant high rpm, your running a risk.

And in regard to increasing oil pressure, please see benjamins post.
    Last edited by DLO01; 14-05-2007 at 07:03 PM.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 honda integra
    Thats 80mm by 800mm by 80mm...
    I thought the oil pump would attempt to keep oil pressure at its pre-set level.
    Im gonna have to take care of that when i get to it.
    See what happens.
    What do you think a sufficient size would be for street/track and turbo.

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    our tegs dont require an oil cooler no matter what b series you have, unless you are turbo.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 honda integra
    Turbo yes
    Track.....as much as possible

dean.. just wondering how did u increase your oil pressure? is there any other way besides SKREMN way ?
    [25HYT] IN PROGRESS

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by TEGNO1 View Post
    Thats 80mm by 800mm by 80mm...
    I thought the oil pump would attempt to keep oil pressure at its pre-set level.
    Im gonna have to take care of that when i get to it.
    See what happens.
    What do you think a sufficient size would be for street/track and turbo.
    Wow, that is huge!
    It does not work like that. I am not exactly sure, but the releif valve must work at the source. As the oil is picked up, it will see it as normal pressure and start releiving oil because it sees it a normal pressure at the source. Problem is, your now pumping it through your new cooler & piping and by the time it goes through that, then to your motor, it has lost pressure.

I know this, because initially I had my Gauge sensors after the 1st pipe ie (as oil is picked up from the sump & before the cooler). It was reading 92psi. I then swaped some pipes around and had the sensors before the 3rd pipe ie (as the oil is going back in to feed motor & after cooler) and I was reading 82psi.

Quote Originally Posted by ACTI0NMAN-1 View Post
    our tegs dont require an oil cooler no matter what b series you have, unless you are turbo.
    Yes your right. Even for track you dont need a cooler in most instances. But it really depends on a few things. I know with the oil I use it was recomended by the manufacturer to maintain a Max temp range and for that you might need a cooler. Like a lot of things, it depends who you speak to - Different people, different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jase EK View Post
    dean.. just wondering how did u increase your oil pressure? is there any other way besides SKREMN way ?
    Jase, thats the only proper way that I know of. With the releif valve, your effectively tensioning the spring by adding some washers. The harder the spring, the harder it takes the valve to open, hence more pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Have you thought about when your changing the oil??? With the filter mounted like that as soon as you loosen it the old oil is going to be coming out making quite a mess. Another POTENTIAL problem COULD be trapping air at the top of the filter casing because the internal piping doesn't go all the way to the bottom (in your case the top) Can it be mounted filter down with that kit?
    Yeh, I have seen these sort of setups mounted the other way around. The good thing with mine is the pipe returning back to the engine is on a downward slope and although I did not take the filter out yet, I did remove one of the pipes to add my 90 fitting and not much oil came out at all. The air thing might be a problem. It can definatly be mounted upside down, but you'll need to make another bracket.
    Last edited by DLO01; 15-05-2007 at 06:31 AM.
    Deano.

very informative post. good work

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2RRRRRRR
    Quote Originally Posted by ACTI0NMAN-1 View Post
    how can you say that?
    whats your justification?
    yeh they dont if you only run one lap and then cool down othewise oil temps just get way to high.
    IS motor racing

Quote Originally Posted by SiR CRX View Post
    Sex Spec reminds me of Paris Hilton.

She's worth a lot of money but still looks like cheap trash....