Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    ah ic. yeh it must be the 1st one u mentioned that im talking about.

Member Array
    Car:
    IVTEC
    i have always thought it was just the straight cut gears, because that is exactly the sound that straight cut gears make, it happen on my car and a few other cars i have driven also.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    hey guys are straight cut gears better? and how do I get them lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    My silly 17 yo thoughts from 3 years ago "hmm my tyres are bald, ahh well race cars run slick tyres, itll give me more grip"

Do you want the whole gearbox with straight cut gears? It's quite expensive, I think there's a place called Pfitzner Performance Gearbox in SA who do dog boxes as well as standard synchromesh gearboxes. They do EG, EK and DC2 with a FD of 5.545 for $9350. Have a look at their website if you wanna know more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by andiiso View Post
    i have always thought it was just the straight cut gears, because that is exactly the sound that straight cut gears make, it happen on my car and a few other cars i have driven also.
    it is because reverse is a straight cut gear.
    According to the pros -
    A. More directional application of force allowing for less power loss. and B. Higher acceptable loads until failure.
    Basically making the transmission stronger and more efficient , but with the only offset being the loud WHINE.
    All forward gears are helical geared giving lower noise.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JHMDA9 View Post
    Do you want the whole gearbox with straight cut gears? It's quite expensive, I think there's a place called Pfitzner Performance Gearbox in SA who do dog boxes as well as standard synchromesh gearboxes. They do EG, EK and DC2 with a FD of 5.545 for $9350. Have a look at their website if you wanna know more about it.
    That my friend is expencive
    My silly 17 yo thoughts from 3 years ago "hmm my tyres are bald, ahh well race cars run slick tyres, itll give me more grip"

Member Array
    Car:
    WRX and R32
    Yeah, the reverse gear is straight cut, hence the whine. It can be straight cut coz its the only gear goin backwards and doesnt need synchromesh for a smooth transition to the next gear.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    JDM DA9::.
    awesome, thanks for your help guys. I'm glad that's nothin to worry bout. U guys will most likely be seein more posts from me shortly, coz it looks like i'll be buyin the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by *2HOT4U* View Post
    awesome, thanks for your help guys. I'm glad that's nothin to worry bout. U guys will most likely be seein more posts from me shortly, coz it looks like i'll be buyin the car.
    WOOHOOO!

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(
    Quote Originally Posted by *2HOT4U* View Post
    Hey guys, im lookin at buying a 1990 DA9 integra, i have driven it it is seriously immaculate and only 120,000kms on the clock, drives beautifully in all other gears, does not crunch in any gear etc. although in reverse it makes an odd whining noise, i had a read up of a thread about it on the EM1 civic's and there were a few people with similar noises, and some think that they have a straight cut reverse gear - hence the whine. Any help and/or info would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers, Reece
    Most if not all manual trans cars have straight cut reverse gear, hence the whining.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX-5 SE
    most cars make a whinning noise in reverse... also u will notice alot of race cars do it in forward gears 2..

it is called straight cut gears... which makes them stronger... it is a common mod for wrx's as the have weak gearboxes that cant hold the power of modded ones

hehe, ad pq point :P :P
    'The Dave'

Old - DC2R - 122fwkw - 1:10.6 WP

New - MX5 SE - 165rwkw -

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    JDM DA9::.
    Hey, i got the car, pretty sure it's something else other than the straight cut gears, it sounds like the clutch is badly slipping or something, not really sure to be honest but it is actually more of a loud clicking kind of noise, but it's weird because as i mentioned in any forward gears the clutch is perfect no slipping, crunching etc. and smooth. i'm going to get it checked out soon