Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to install front/rear speaker in 98 accord

Hey guys just bought some new MTX speakers for my 98 accord but my problems are how to get the inner trim off, i tried to take off just the speaker covering but it appears to b screwed from the inside, also the rear 6x9s have a weird connection on them how do i overcome that? speakers in their are currently stock.
    please help
    Tks Mark

Member Array
    Car:
    95 Accord CD5
    Hi there. The link below is a DIY removing of door panel for a 2000 Accord (same one yeh?). If not then I am sorry I have no idea as I have a 95 accord.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl066e.htm

With the connection, your stockies are clip-on plugs? If so, u will have to cut it. This is what I did with mine. Does your MTX speakers have 2 small rods sticking out? (1 positive 1 negative). One is a thicker rod than the other. If so: (must be done by professional electrician)

1. remove speakers (sell in ebay)
    2. Cut the plugs from stock wiring
    3. With your new speakers u should have gotten a good amount of wiring. cut about 4 inch of the supplied MTX wiring (coz it will have the correct plug to your MTX speaker)
    4. solder the 4 inch MTX wiring to your stock wiring (pos & neg wires AWAY from each other)
    5. use electrical tape to cover up, make sure that neg and pos wiring are AWAY from each other.
    6. Install new speakers
    7. Plug the connections.
    8. Take cold beer out of fridge

Door trims are painful for first timers.

But its not that hard. I can do it in 5 minutes per door trim.

So, first things. Take off the two screws (in the door handle pocket area and behind the inner door latch). Pretty obvious.

Then take of the triangle cover at the top front corner. There are two clips, just pull firmly.

There will be clips holding the trim onto the door. start from the top front corner, run ur hand down between the door frame and trim. the door trim will start to pop out. go all the way around the door trim.

Next u will need to detach the door opening mechanism from the inner door handle. so u pull the inner door latch unit free from the actual trim. you will find its connected to a metal wire thing. detach that from the inner handle.

then u lift the door trim up and its off!

have a play, its fun.

As for wiring the fronts, i just snipped the factory clips and used spade connectors (Male/Female) from factory cable to speaker.

Same goes for the rear. Took me around 30 minutes to wire all the speakers to factory speaker cable. Jsut get ur +tives and -tives right. No need to professional electircian.

diagram

honda speaker cable + tive ---- > 'plug' > ----- +tive MTX speaker cable -> +tive speaker terminal

honda speaker cable - tive ---- > 'plug' > ----- -tive MTX speaker cable -> -tive speaker terminal

sounds 10x better than stocfk speakers. But wait till u get an aftermarker headunit. its 10x better again.
    Last edited by SiReal; 25-05-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord VTi-L
    yep.. CG's stock head unit + stock speaker is awful

Quote Originally Posted by SiReal View Post

sounds 10x better than stocfk speakers. But wait till u get an aftermarker headunit. its 10x better again.
    Wood grain
    Reverse Parking Sensor
    LED Head Light
    LED Tail Light

Hey

Hey tks for the reply guys appreciated, i got a mate to help me out so its all done and sounds great, door trims were easy to get off like u said under 5 mins, they were just harder to pull from the clips then my previous cars so i thought i may have broken them if i pulled harder. Tks again for your replys really appreciated, Mark

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    I've done the fronts easy as, but having issues with the rear's, have taken off the back seat side trims, and the plastic bulk head running along the back, have also taken out rear brake light, and baby seat bolt in the middle or what ever it is, but still can't get the rear parcel shelf covering off to take out the rear speakers... accords to the workshop manual it should just pull out.. but no such luck :s

Edit: dw figured it out zomg so easy in the end.. lol (4 screws to take plastic speaker covers of 2 on each speaker, there are holes in the bottom of the parcel shelf that you can easily get screw driver through to unto the screws from in the boot).
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 19-02-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Sorry to reply to such an old thread - but it's been helpful, so firstly want to say thanks for the tip about the 2 screws because that got me as well. I installed the rears with no problems after reading this thread...

Now I'm up to the fronts - however, I cannot find information on replacing the tweeter in the dash. How is this done? Just pry the cover out? Is wiring hard to this location? Where is the in-line xover or capacitor? Getting the door trims off don't seem to be too bad with the instructions above.

Thanks in advance!

just put the tweeters in the kick panels and leave the stock tweeter disconnected.

Rattlehead, re tweeters in teh dash, for my 4cyl VTi-L , there were NO tweeters in the dash. That little grille with the holes doesnt even have holes. Its just a printed piece of plastic. I felt so cheated.

So i ditched that and just stuck with 2 way coaxials in the front. Still more than enough treble for daily driving. give that a go first.

Quote Originally Posted by SiReal View Post
    Rattlehead, re tweeters in teh dash, for my 4cyl VTi-L , there were NO tweeters in the dash. That little grille with the holes doesnt even have holes. Its just a printed piece of plastic. I felt so cheated.

So i ditched that and just stuck with 2 way coaxials in the front. Still more than enough treble for daily driving. give that a go first.
    Interesting! Does yours have speaker cloth over it?
    In my last Accord (95 model) I had tweeters there, so I automatically assumed that they were tweeters. However, mine isn't a printed piece of plastic...or is that what's underneath the grille?

hey mate, mine was just a piece of printed plastic which i could pry off. However there was nothing underneath. no tweeter, just dash.

perhaps u have a tweeter?? is yours a v6L? maybe thats the difference.

I tried prying it off with no luck so I can't see if there's a speaker or not. I'm too scared to break it.

Yeh, mines V6L so it might have a tweeter, but today I booked to get some audio gear in, so I'll let them worry about it.