Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: b16a vs k20?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVtec View Post
    You shouldn't generalise all B16's in the same category as yours. There is (Monumental) proof in research that many stock & modded variations of the B16b,B16a-1-2-3 honda engines are far from gutless.

If you say yours is a dog, i believe you
    i dunnoes, stock ones, are gutless, they don't breathe.
    lol.
    been in a ek4, eg with a b16a2, and my del sol, all about the same.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    k20's are from DC5, EP3, some FD's including new Type R, and the FN2. im pretty sure thats all of em.

k20a JDM DC5R 162kw
    k20a JDM EP3R 158kw
    k20A2 AUDM DC5R/UK EP3R/US RSX-S 147kw
    K20A3 DC5 Base 118kw
    K20Z AUDM DC5S 154kw (i can never remember what number this engine is 1,2,3 ???)
    You forgot the Accord Euro-R's
    Should be the K20Z1 for the AUDM DC5S.
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    b16a are a very good motor. I know someone thats currently building a b16a that gonna rev to 10k. Don't under estimate them.

For track, suspension setup is very crucial. I don't see why ppl spend so much money on there motors but don't have the money to buy "DECENT" rubber.

Account Disabled Array
    Build up the suspension and go track the car. Practice and make changes to the suspension to suit. There is no point having a k20 powered honda and you dont know how to drive. Learn how to drive on the circuit first then get more power if needed. The b16a are a very good platform engine, and would go well in a car that has proper track set-up.

For example. A stock engine swift with full suspension mods can hit 1:14's around wakefield. They only have 60KW ATW

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    For example. A stock engine swift with full suspension mods can hit 1:14's around wakefield. They only have 60KW ATW
    Swift >honda muhahaha

Account Disabled Array
    Haha i think you should take that back. Last time i remembered i pass you along the straight and were 2 seconds quicker than you

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 VTI-R HB Civic
    [QUOTE=Benson;1192088]Build up the suspension and go track the car. Practice and make changes to the suspension to suit. There is no point having a k20 powered honda and you dont know how to drive. Learn how to drive on the circuit first then get more power if needed. The b16a are a very good platform engine, and would go well in a car that has proper track set-up.

While i understand and agree that his driving skills & car should be up to scratch with the track, it doesn't make much sense to take his GLi out and fit/tweak/tune all the proper suspension+tyres to suit the track, then install a bigger or more powerful engine and completely different geared trans. it would be a waste of time as well as money if you ask me.

I'm no expert, however i hope you understand the validity of my point
    Johnny B.

Representing DH-R All Day Everyday
    http://www.dh-racing.com/motors.html

So you mean after the engine swap he'd have to redo most, if not all, of the suspension tuning thats been done??

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 VTI-R HB Civic
    Well, it makes sense to me....
    Johnny B.

i see what you mean but i don't think it'd be as big a impact as you think.

How much weight difference is the motor?? How would it change the weight dist of the car etc They're the sorta things you'd have to look at.

Probably just need to get the corner weights redone and get used to the extra power i think. Most of it would probably be driver experience that would need to be improved.

I'm in the same boat as you though. Not much experience but a descent amount of reading.

I do know that a sussy setup can make or break a car tho so thats where i'd be looking at.

Account Disabled Array
    I do understand your point but you don't need to change the suspension that much to suit the heavier motor. Maybe just put heavier springs in the front. The behavior of the car wouldn't change that much. As for tyres, always get a set of decent semi slicks for the track even if you have a slow car.

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 VTI-R HB Civic
    I wasn't uncertain about the weight difference between d-b-k series as i am about the power outputs, gearing, braking, and steering. Example: you do 6 laps in a d16y4 ek hatch, then you get into an ek hatch with fully built B or mild K series and try to drive the car exactly the same.

Jason, i think you're correct to the extent that it would mostly depend on the drivers capablity and experience. however i do believe that there would be some differences in which even a well skilled driver couldnt completely absorb.
    Johnny B.