Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR

B Series Ignitor/Ignition Module

Hi All,

Was just wondering if anyone could confirm if any of the Honda parts in the Bosch catalogue below (Page 9)will fit a B16A2 distributor:
    http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/2256.htm

Reason i'm asking first is coz i can already guess how much genuine Honda unit will cost.

As for the genuine Honda ignitor... does anyone know if they have replaced the factory OKI chip with the revised NEC chip here in Australia yet?

Reason i need a new one is coz i semi-fried mine on my initial installation of an external coil... i initially drille d ahole at the front of the leak cover to run the wires through and sparks from the rotor would leak into there and hit the ignitor.

I'm confident it's the ignitor as i've done a check for plug heat range misfire by turning my fuel pressure up and down.... electrode tips change to white/black accordingly and running rich still causes random misfires at high rpm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

OEM ftw

Sorry i can't help. Hope it all works out for ya champ.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^^noooooooooo... i know it'll cost like $300. Not willing to pay it even if it's the revised NEC model.

too bad i can't check ebay for this shit at work....
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    prolly not cuz they dont have any parts for a B series motor apart from the ancient B20 from the prelude

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    hye man, i got a brand new ignitor, if you want it.
    i used it for like1 week, until i got a new dizzy.
    i bought it like 2months ago? i still have hte reciept as well. lol.
    i bought it for $120ish, i'll let go of it for $90
    lol

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    hye man, i got a brand new ignitor, if you want it.
    i used it for like1 week, until i got a new dizzy.
    i bought it like 2months ago? i still have hte reciept as well. lol.
    i bought it for $120ish, i'll let go of it for $90
    lol
    sweet...

is it an NEC or OKI?

you by any chance have a spare leak cover too? that black plastic bit under the rotor but covers the entire internals of the dizzy?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    nec.
    pretty sure it is.
    lol.
    i can't remember to tell you the truth, all i remember, it was the one i took out of the originaly dizzy, so it's oem.
    nah i don't have that, my old dizzy never had one.
    lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    nec.
    pretty sure it is.
    lol.
    i can't remember to tell you the truth, all i remember, it was the one i took out of the originaly dizzy, so it's oem.
    nah i don't have that, my old dizzy never had one.
    lol.
    lol u sure u dnt have the black cover... ur dizzy would have died like mine...

it's this cover (the plastic housing that cvoers pretty much the inside of the dizzy (borrowed from ecu-mans MSD DIY thread):

without it it looks like this:

well one final question then... is the Ignitor Black (OKI) or Brown (NEC)?

I'd just prefer to get the new unit and get it done right the first time... apparently it was a recall item for the CRX and since i'm running an external coil setup, don't want it dying again....
    Last edited by dsp26; 04-06-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    i'm 100% sure it don't have a cover.
    lol.
    mine didn't die, it was just a noisy bearing.
    lol, so i replaced the whole dizzy, with a brand new one.

so my dizzy is still in full working order, but just noisy.
    lol.
    right now, i can't tell you what colour it is, because the dizzy assy is at my mates house, and the ignitor is still in there. so as soon as i find out i'll tell you.
    PM me with your number, and when i find out, which should be tonight, i'll give ya a call.
    hell you can even buy the whole dizzy assembly off me if you want. lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR

Ignitor Module

Sweet thanks mate.... i'll PM you my number.

But to Clarify for everyone else after doing my own research calling a few places (i'm not going to quote exact pricing from sources either):

Part Numbers#
    Original OKI (Black) : 30120PT3003 - ~$300+

Replaced by:
    Revised OKI (Black) : 06302PT3A00 - ~$100+
    or
    Supercede NEC Model (Brown) : 06302PT3000 - ~$100+

Reasons for replacement:
    - Low heat resistance and affects operation
    - Prone to semi-damage from Heat or Coil upgrade. Does not completely die like normal ICM cases but causes random High RPM misfires
    - ^^^ Gives wrong/erratic tach signal. Another member (cristian) video'ed my tach going all the way around past 9krpm back to the oil light (which is about 7 o'clock) LOL.

Reasons From Bosch as to why ignition modules should be replaced:
    - Insufficient current / dwell leads to low ignition coil output resulting in difficult starting, breaking down under load and misfiring at high rpm
    - Excessive current dwell leads to overheating of ignition coil and ignition module, causing premature module failure and possible damage to other vehicle components
    - Excessive primary induced voltage leads to possible damage to coil and modules as well as other components connected to coil negative such as tachometers, RPM triggered relays, security systems and LPG safety switches and closed loop controllers

Search Keywords: ICM, Ignition Control Module, Ignitor, Igniter, high rpm misfire, no start, no spark, stall, stalling, engine cut out, tacho signal, rpm, over revving
    Last edited by dsp26; 04-06-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Do you know if this revision was implemented into the production line?? ie did they come from factory with the new units? if so when??

Sorry to hijack but that info might be good for the post above +rep

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^^maybe thats somethin destrukshn can shed some light on since he works at Honda....

based on my conversations with a few Honda Spare parts divisions...

- The Revised OKI part is marked as the replacement part in the system
    - If you order a replacement part, you will get the Brown NEC model as it is the superceding part. it is the exact same price os the Revised OKI part.

- Therefore, process of elimination tells me that the Revised OKI part is what comes out of the factory line and the NEC is the superceding replacement part if you purchase seperately.
    - Having previously worked at OKI myself, i know they don't release revised parts for general sale anyway...

^^^BUT... this is all my logical thought process... may not be any truth to it whatsoever... just makes sense...