Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1990 Honda Prelude

Question 1990 Prelude Si Japanese Import - to buy or not to buy?

Hi all,
    I've searched the forums as best I know how (given I'm a newbie ) for some advice on buying a 2-owner 1990 Prelude (which was a family owned car, privately imported from Japan) but have had no luck. I am buying the car as a surprise for my Mum and am unsure if I am getting myself into a whole load of trouble.

Pluses:
    110 km's - which I believe are genuine
    Not souped or blinged-up -all original and no major accidents
    $5k asking price (negotiable)
    Drives really well
    All electrics OK.

Minuses:

No service books, but current owner has done the basics regularly
    Could use a major service
    Aircon not cold, though compressor operating ok
    Needs a total detail
    Small 'carpark' dents here and there, but no rust

I am told by Honda that because it is an import, getting parts will be extremely difficult and that diagnostics may not work with Australian service agents - is this true?

I am thinking I should offer in the region of $2-2.5k. What does someone think?

I do hope someone can help, as after reading many a good review on this car, I am now somewhat frightened! Any advice would be most appreicated.

Aaron

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    does Australia has the car? if it does it is not a problem for servicing and spare parts are not hard too.
    what engine does it have?

any pictures of it?
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1990 Honda Prelude
    Hi there, not suire what you mean by "does Australia have the car?".... would you be so kind as to explain for me? Cheers! Aaron

Member Array
    Car:
    pogo stick
    have you got a link to this car?
    pictures for us to inspect the damage?

parts and everything else are the same as the australian car, except the japanese has a higher compression motor, digital climate control, folding mirrors and some other cool gadgety features.

the only reason you may not be able to get all the parts for servicing is if you buy a carby model, the badging on the rear of the car will have xx if it is carby.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1990 Honda Prelude
    Hi,

Thanks for the great advice. I don't have a good link to the car - just a dodgy one I am afraid. It has a small dent in one of the headlight covers, and another on/behind the rubbing strip on the driver's door - nothing major and no paint penetration/rust. The car isn't a carby model - so thanks for the reassurance! Where would I find something on the web that gives me a run-down on the full spec of the car?

Cheers!

Aaron

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Its a B20A from memory

Most of the parts will be the same and really its a 17 year old car so you're going to have problems for sure but its only like $2000 anyway so yeah

For that price you shouldn't be fussy

What state
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    omg, I bought a 91 Aus spec Si4WS (145,000km) about 3 months ago knowing i'd have alot of problems with it... But god damn they don't stop, one after the bloody other... My $1650 89 Civic had less problems, actually it had non...

When you own a 3rd gen, be prepared to spend buddy...

I still love the old girl though...

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    I remember my BA4/5... Didn't go a single week without having to fix it lol
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    pogo stick
    i own a Si-TCV and it has no problems, the car is like new inside and mechanically

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by Petronas View Post

When you own a 3rd gen, be prepared to spend buddy...
    Pretty general statement, you need to know what your looking at. I've had 4 3rd gens and no trouble at all with three of them (the 4th i did but it'd had a engine conversion). having 110,000 you need to know if it had the major service at 100,000. This involves changing the timing belt, If that hasn't been done and it snaps your in real trouble. If you dont have proof its been done, a mechanic may be able to tell you. If not allow for the major service in your purchase price.
    Last edited by armo90; 05-06-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1990 Honda Prelude

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by !JonZap! View Post
    i own a Si-TCV and it has no problems, the car is like new inside and mechanically
    The car is an Si-TCV actually. What should I specifically be on the lookout for? Also, which tyres do you recommend I fit? Cheers!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1990 Honda Prelude

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by armo90 View Post
    Pretty general statement, you need to know what your looking at. I've had 4 3rd gens and no trouble at all with three of them (the 4th i did but it'd had a engine conversion). having 110,000 you need to know if it had the major service at 100,000. This involves changing the timing belt, If that hasn't been done and it snaps your in real trouble. If you dont have proof its been done, a mechanic may be able to tell you. If not allow for the major service in your purchase price.
    The current owner has just had the belt changed actually, so that's good advice. Anything else I should be on the lookout for? It's an Si TCV. Cheers.