Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1990 Honda Prelude
    Another question, ans sorry to bug you, but have you had any issues with general servicing of the car, such as mis-matching with diagnostic tools or availability of general parts? The reason I ask is that Honda (service) freaked me a bit by saying because it's a Jap import, parts are extremely difficult to get and that their diagnostic tools may not match the car. is this the case or are they just being panic merchants? It seems to be the case they are, but I am just curious as to your experience. As you know, the car's for my Mum, so the last thing I want is a whole load of problems for her. Cheers again, Aaron

Member Array
    Car:
    VW MKV R32
    aaronn, if you have your own local mechanic, or whoever looks after your other cars, take it to him/her and let them have a look over it. They'll be able to tell you if the main components of the car are the same as the AUDM spec and will also give you their opinion on whether or not you should purchase the car. I've done this with both the cars i've purchased and having a professional look over the car gives you futher reassurance.

Honda are always likely to be 'tight' on JDM models, it's a reason for them to try and get more cash outta you. Your local mech. will be able to find out whether his/her dianostic tools match up.
    ITR #01 - 0141

“Racing improves the breed.” Soichiro Honda

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    The fact its an import shouldn't be a problem at all. But do get a mechanic to go over it before you purchase if thats possible. And also keep in mind getting Honda dealers to service or fix your car will cost more. You take your car to a Honda dealer thinking they'll know what their doing, but with a car this old chances are they wont know any more than any other mechanic would.

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    Just a warning about my experiences with a private import. I've got a cb Accord. Anything worth mentioning is exactly the same as the thousands of Australian cb's but depending on what dealer you go to they hate dealing with imports.

And unless your local mechanic has lots of experience with honda's I doubt they'll be able to tell you whether parts are the same.

IMO if it's for your mum and you want her to be able to just drop it off at the local dealer for a service no questions asked it's going to be a pain. Even if all the major parts are the same and it shouldn't be an issue they will probably make it one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude/Odyssey
    parts and service things should all be the same! honda probably dont want liability.

say you need a pulley or an engine mount, they are the same as AUDM model! just dont tell em its an import and theres no problem.
    Indicating when no one is around is like talking to yourself

I dunno where the u came from, probably the "U" key on the keyboard but im skeptical

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    Yep exactly. It "shouldn't" be a problem. The problems start when you get a dealer that won't do anything without a VIN. Once you tell them a VIN with a bit IMPORT in the middle of it.

If you have a good parts department/dealer that uses their intuition a bit and has plenty of experience instead of relying straight off the database then you might be right. And generally you can get things done anyway. But it can just be a pain and is something to note. That's all. It didn't stop me.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Quote Originally Posted by phily View Post
    parts and service things should all be the same! honda probably dont want liability.

say you need a pulley or an engine mount, they are the same as AUDM model! just dont tell em its an import and theres no problem.
    You will find most JDM and AUDM stuff has the same part numbers anyway

They will fax Honda Oz HQ the VIN and whats needed, they fax back an exploded diagram with part numbers
    Then the dealer will look to see if the parts are still available and whether they are available in Oz or ex Japan

Not really too much of an issue just a hassle for the dealers sometimes
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Del Sol
    I must say its hard to kill a honda engine. My fiance drove for 20 minutes with no water in the radiator (blown top tank) and the temperature needle on the red zone. Refilled the radiator, fixed the tank, and it was fine! Sold it after another 20000ks.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    imho, these are the best looking preludes...
    I hope to add one of these to my collection one day...

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude/Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You will find most JDM and AUDM stuff has the same part numbers anyway

They will fax Honda Oz HQ the VIN and whats needed, they fax back an exploded diagram with part numbers
    Then the dealer will look to see if the parts are still available and whether they are available in Oz or ex Japan

Not really too much of an issue just a hassle for the dealers sometimes
    nowadays its all on computers! ive seen the program they use and how they get part numbers etc. but its the same thing with the exploded diagram.

but yeah as long as the dealer doesnt ask for a vin then you'll be right.
    worse comes to worse as someone with an AUDM lude to use theres if its needed

only 1 dealer ive dealt with asks for vin numbers. and thats Tynans sutherland. i wanted a fuel filter and massive hassle to get the VIN cos i didnt drive my car there. never went there again after that. i go to Collins Rockdale for my parts now. its closer too! they know alot more as well so its a win win for me!
    Indicating when no one is around is like talking to yourself

I dunno where the u came from, probably the "U" key on the keyboard but im skeptical

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Quote Originally Posted by phily View Post
    nowadays its all on computers! ive seen the program they use and how they get part numbers etc. but its the same thing with the exploded diagram.
    Yeah exactly with a VIN it will show them the exact model and parts... They can just browse though the models and do it that way but more pref. VIN
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1997 vtir prelude
    I work for a honda dealer and i know that ordering spares for an imported honda is a nightmare , if you dont have a vin number nobody will want to help you ,

The honda hds diagnostic system will not link with an imported vehicle ,,, but you would hope that a good mechanic wouldnt need the diagnostic tools for that many things anyway .

Unlike nissan honda aus are not on board with the whole import thing. and generally they are not willing to help ,,, as long as the vehicle has the exact same specs as the aus model you should be ok ,,, if it has an odd ball engine i would walk away .