which focal speakers?

ok, i got an ek1, i wanna get focal speakers amped up. i know u can fit 6" and 6 1/2" with a bit of modifications. i am thinking of either the 160V2, 165V2 or 165V slim. i am leaning towards the 160V2 as they would be direct fit. has anyone tried the 165V2 in an ek1? how do they fit? coz im not really looking to modify anything. what about quality difference between them? much difference in SQ? i dont think the slims would be as good in SQ as the others.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    u have to sound deaden ur car first if ur after SQ

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    RX450h / RB3
    just get the 160V2 if you dont want any cutting, SQ its nothing wrong with the Vslim it should be the same as the other V2 series since the material is the same, PM if you need some Focal speaker and come with australian warranty too

Depth is the biggest issue in your car. When we do installs in the Civic we usually recommend the 160V2 as their mounting depth is only 51.4mm. The 165Vslim actually have a slightly longer Xmax (3mm as opposed to the 160V2's 2mm) but as aka_NSX said; they are very similar in their sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhrx View Post
    Depth is the biggest issue in your car. When we do installs in the Civic we usually recommend the 160V2 as their mounting depth is only 51.4mm. The 165Vslim actually have a slightly longer Xmax (3mm as opposed to the 160V2's 2mm) but as aka_NSX said; they are very similar in their sound.
    but 160v2 would fit fine with depth too right?

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    RX450h / RB3
    Quote Originally Posted by gbang007 View Post
    but 160v2 would fit fine with depth too right?
    you still need to cut the plastic behind the speaker

Quote Originally Posted by aka_NSX View Post
    you still need to cut the plastic behind the speaker
    the water shield plastic thing?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC/WRX
    yes ull need to cut it coz u still need to gain some depth
    Life Doesn’t Start Until 9000RPM!

Member Array
    Car:
    97 VTiR Prelude
    its the bit of plastic behind the magnet of your stock speaker. Plus I found if you're getting any 6.5" speaker, you'll probably need to use a dremel tool to sand/cut away a slight amount of plastic on the door trim surrounding the speaker area to make sure the speaker fits.

Problem there is you may found that you leak midbass if you have too many slits and holes in the plastic where the sound can escape, so then maybe consider getting baffles or pods.