Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pressure?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Fuel Pressure?

Hey Guys and Gals
    Just wondering what is the maximum Fuel Pressure I can go to?
    96 D16y4 4 Door Civic.
    Mods:
    Custom Intake with K&N Filter
    Stock Header,2" Exhaust with Resonator and Original Cat
    MSD Ignition System
    Fuel Pressure Regulator
    NGK Iridium Wires and Plugs

Stock is 36 psi,I currently have it set at 40 psi and it's running a charm but just wondering if I can squeeze a bit more out...

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ B20vtecTurbo
    Why do you want to increase your fuel pressure?
    EDGE AUTOMOTIVE

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    To hopefully get some more power ???

do you understand your theory at all ? Can you expand on it ?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I dont have a theory as such but when I put in the FPR and bumped it up from stock 36 psi to 40 psi I definately felt a power increase.So Im wondering if I can go to say 42 psi and still get a power increase or not.Should I just experiment with it? If so how will I know that I've gone too far....running rough etc.
    Am I on the right track here? If not plz tell me.Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I know there's such a thing as a FPR calcolator where you match your mods to how much psi you can run...but I cant find it.

but you cant run beyond a certain threshold , on stock fuel pump or stock injectors etc. I think there is no point on your current setup. Get a light flywheel or smaller lighter rims , or reduce the static weight of your car to improve performance.

Member Array
    Car:
    black EF
    if u put too many pressure....u may kill the fule pump....30-40 when the idle will be fine....

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    i see where you are coming from with this theory, and it kind of relates to the advanced timing concept.

some people say: i want ot advance my timing to get more power.

but then mr correct comes along and says No. j00 advance timing to get the correct amount of power for the type of fuel you are running. if you are using higher octane fuel for maximum efficiency you ignite it earlier coz it burns more slowly - its a subtle difference but the fact is youre not actually advancing the timing to make power, your advancing it to make the CORRECT power.

same goes here - more fuel pressure simply enables you to get the CORRECT amount of fuel relative to the amount of air that is going in - without a turbo you dont have huge control over the amount of air going in, so this will only be effective up to a point.

more fuel pressure = higher load on fuel pump and injectors too.

if it were as simple as increasing fuel pressure to get more power dont you think it would come that way from the factory

Member Array
    Car:
    94 VTI CIVIC, 72 RX2 13BT
    yes but without a wide band its useless. If you keep puting the pressure up you are going to run rich. In some cases droping the pressure will make power as you lean it out a bit more, you may start to get into other problems then tho.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    bennjamin is correct regarding threshold.

remember that if you increase pressure you sacrifice flow rate in the whole system and vice versa... there is a certain range though different for every car. an afpr has never really been a performance mod but rather a 'band-aid fix' to fuelling ISSUES. think of a water hose thats free flowing... then you put your thumb over the hole and pressure increases because you weer sacrificing flow potential.

on my sr20, i managed an extra 4wkw by adding an external coil, 1.3mm plug gap, +4psi fuel pressure over stock... but then again even though it was the same dyno it wasn't the same day... and my circumstances at the time were also quite odd....

***EDIT***
    also depends what your "MSD Ignition System" consists of... raising fuel pressure the right amount is of benefit to a multispark system as it can actually burn most of it at low revs which eventuates in torque.... but again you won't know exactly how much till your on the dyno....
    Last edited by dsp26; 06-06-2007 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    POS
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    I know there's such a thing as a FPR calcolator where you match your mods to how much psi you can run...but I cant find it.
    i know theres an equation that comes with the B&M fpr... its simply whatever the percentage increase in air flow is, you do the same for the fuel pressure.

eg. 10% increase in air flow... so 10% of 36psi is 3.6
    3.6 + 36 = 39.6psi

or turn the percentage into a decimal and add 1 to it...
    (1 + 0.1) x 36 = 39.6psi

after all that... beeza, you would have been better off spending that cash on a header... lol
    FFamily