Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's

DIY PGMFI Diagnostics - Code 20 ELD

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

No part of this DIY is to be reproduced with out acknowledgment of the site and author it came from, ie me and ozhonda.com. Do not rip parts off and claim them as your own.

ELD Sensor "Electrical Load Detector". The ELD sensor is commonly located inside the Under hood fues box. Its purpose is to measure Electrical Load to the battery to switch the alternator output from low to high. ELD is commonly found on JDM cars, like civics and Integra’s. Here in Oz we have ELD on VTEC VTIR Preludes. Our Civics ( EG,EM,EK,EJ ) and Integra's ( DA,DC ) Accords ( CB,CD ) don’t have a ELD. If you have modified your ECU and you are getting code 20, then you have to disable the ELD in the ROM. I can disable the ELD for you if necessary.

Aim:

Diagnose code 20.

Required:

Basic Testing

- Digital Multi Meter
    - paper clip

Symptoms

You wont get the MIL light up at all, just code 20 pops up in the ECU memory. This code does not effect drivability at all. If the battery voltage drops to far ( bellow 10v to 11v ) you could trigger ELD code. If you have put another Engine in your car for example a H22A into a CD Accord, the P13 will have ELD enabled, but the Accord under dash fuse box will not have the ELD module so you get a code. Also with B18C installs using the JDM ECU. So what I’m getting at is don’t waist time diagnosing ELD code if your car doesn’t have one. Your solution is to disable it in the ECU. PM me as I can do this for you on OBDIIa, P13 and any OBDI ECU.First Step is to determine if your car has a ELD. Best way is to check the ECU wire to see if it even has a wire going to the ECU. Gain access to the ECU and locate the ECU Connectors. look for the ELD wire.

OBDI = C10
    OBDIIa = D16
    OBDIIb = A30

If you do not have a wire going in to the above ECU pin then your car has no ELD. Disable the ELD in the ECU. If you do have a wire, the do a voltage test at the ECU end.

**** Voltage Test ****

Set your multimeter to DC Volts ( 20v scale )

Step 1

Check the ELD sensor for its output Voltage to the ECU, Connect the Black Lead from your multimeter to the chassis for a good ground. Back probe* the ELD with the Red lead while the sensor is connected.

OBDI = C10
    OBDIIa = D16
    OBDIIb = A30

KOER* with no electrical load you should get 4v. As electrical load increases voltage decreases.

replace ( disable ) the ELD if you do not get a voltage.

* Notes

KOEO = Key On Engine Off

KOER = Key On Engine Running

Back probe the sensor, use a paperclip and push it into the connector then touch/clip your multimeter lead to the paper clip

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 06-05-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    how can u disable this? should i put battery voltage straight to the ecu?

i dont have the eld but i want the code gone. or should i ground it

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    its a 0-5V input.
    ive seen people try to supply 5V to it,but still get the code.
    if u ground it,then ecu will prob still throw code for out of expected range or something,or even worse it will think your car is under very high electrical load all the time & adjust fuel accordingly at idle.

u could prob try arrange like a 4-4.5V input & see if that works.
    if not just ignore the code,it seems to have no ultra adverse effects with the input just left to float,ecu prob just ignores it,cos it thinks its broken.

also,some aftermarket ecus will let u disable the fault code,if it really bugs u that much,but it doesnt disable the input.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    i dont like it coz u expect to see a code but when something actually is wrong u dont realise.

i got o2 sensor error to but ive changed from 1 wire to 4 wire o2 sensor

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    dont quite understand first sentence,but the ELD fault will not set a solid CEL,it just appears as a fault code when u call them up.
    if u have solid CEL,then its most likely just due to O2

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    aw yeh

i had an ek that had the same prob and again it was from the eld but that was a solid state fault aswell.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    never heard of an ELD setting a CEL,obd1 or 2......

maybe ECU-MAN can shed some light

edit:if u read the first post,he even says himself it wont set a CEL......
    Last edited by CRXer; 15-08-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    ELD will not cause the engine light to come on. not even in P13 and P12 ect