Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Opinion on vtec controller

Hi people,

I have searched through the forum and found things about this topic but not what I am really after. What are peoples opinions on vtec controllers? Are they worth money after exhaust and air filter? Can you fit them yourself? Are they dangerous to the engine having vtec kick in lower?

Just looking at something simple like the buddy club one to change where it kicks in.

Cheers in advance
    Last edited by Angie; 16-06-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Not worth it unless you are able to alter the A/F ratio and ignition timing.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

So that is where the Apexi AFC Neo would be better?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    So that is where the Apexi AFC Neo would be better?
    Yes, that would be better than just a vtec controller.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    At it's minimum, you should be looking at the Apexi VAFCii which allows A/F ratio adjustment on top of the VTEC changeover point....
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

So if i bought this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...tec+controller and install it i should have no dramas, notice it does not have timing b the looks? Obviously it needs to be dyno tuned?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    So if i bought this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...tec+controller and install it i should have no dramas, notice it does not have timing b the looks? Obviously it needs to be dyno tuned?
    Both the Apexi NEO and VAFC II allow you to change only the A/F ratio and vtec engagement point.

If you want something that alters ignition timing as well, you'll need the Apexi PowerFC or something from Hondata like the S100.

And yes, dyno tuned is best.

Apexi's are ok for amateur tuners. I have one in my type r and it does a good job. Recommend professional install though and it usually costs much more than the cost of the unit to install and tune. Hondata is much better, has much better control and functionality but usually for the more serious users. If you have around $600-$1000 to spend, its not a bad toy to have and tuning should give a small gain if you have a decent exhaust and air filter.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2itr View Post
    Apexi's are ok for amateur tuners. I have one in my type r and it does a good job. Recommend professional install though and it usually costs much more than the cost of the unit to install and tune. Hondata is much better, has much better control and functionality but usually for the more serious users. If you have around $600-$1000 to spend, its not a bad toy to have and tuning should give a small gain if you have a decent exhaust and air filter.
    You should all ECU tuning done by a proper tuner.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    A note to add to using controllers like these, the power gains are in relation to the number of modifications you have as well on top of the competency of the tuner....

Obviously more modifications = better power but... As with any controllers, they can only go so far as opposed to better units like the PowerFC, Hondata, KPro etc....
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    just save yourself the trouble and transfer the money from your bank account into mine.

Cheers for the replies, looks like money will be better spent on suspenson mods.