Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic Vti-L
    hey jace, I just bought the icelink too and I found a way to install it within 5 min... (actually, took me a while to figure it out but with an instruction, could be done quickly).

Ok, now i got the icelink plug into the back of the stack, my Ipod is recharging and showing icelink logo and a playlist in the end, however, my dash doesn't see it, and I can still play cds etc... did you disconnect CD? If so, how? I tried to disconnect my battery several times, not working

And can you still play CD?

Oh, by the way, to connect the plug, simply open the top cover in open tray in front of the gear shifter, and put your fingers in, you can feel many plugs and one of them near the top right corner is the icelink plug, you can do it with out opening up anything else, a little tricky tho, you need a small hand

Cheers buddy.
    Last edited by oniononline; 30-01-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Time to bump this thread since I removed the Dension Icelink Cradle... BUT I replaced it with a cable I managed to source. Basically since the Dension kit comprises of two components;

Part 1: Connects AUX to the Dension Icelink box (the little black thing) which basically acts as the device which translates the radio/HU's signals into iPod commands.

Part 2: The physical cable which joins aforementioned Dension box using what looks like the old PS/2 connector (remember those mice before the USB days; which wasn't a serial port?), to the iPod Dock Adaptor. This can be either in the form of a cradle with dock port, or just a cable similar to that used in the iPod package which connects to USB (i.e. no cradle).

I ended up swapping out the cradle and putting the cable in so I can use any iPod in there and it works fantastic. Got BK to help me open my dash near the installation to just swap one end of the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by oniononline View Post
    hey jace, I just bought the icelink too and I found a way to install it within 5 min... (actually, took me a while to figure it out but with an instruction, could be done quickly).

Ok, now i got the icelink plug into the back of the stack, my Ipod is recharging and showing icelink logo and a playlist in the end, however, my dash doesn't see it, and I can still play cds etc... did you disconnect CD? If so, how? I tried to disconnect my battery several times, not working

And can you still play CD?
    CD is fine in mine. When I first got Icelink installed I had similar issue to you; you need to hold down AUX/CD button for a while and then it switches (make sure your iPod has Dension logo on). Then after this, it seems to work alot easier; just press it to switch back and forth between your CD and your AUX/iPod input.

Does this help?

jc.
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic Vti-L
    Hey Jace, thanks alot for your help, I've managed to get it working One more thing I found out that you actually have to ignite your engine, previously I've only turned it to Key Level II with all power up, that wouldn't work.

So the general steps are:
    1) Unplug your battery
    2) Install Icelink
    3) Connect your IPod
    4) Plug your battery back in
    5) Fully ignite your engine and let the motor running for a while
    6) Press AUX/CD a few times just like Jace said
    7) Enjoy

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    Quote Originally Posted by chylld View Post
    glad it worked for ya

atm i'm running off 2 mp3 cd's, slot 1 has artists a-k and slot 2 has artists l-z. my ipod stores all of these at one time obviously but i think i can live with cd's for now...

just a pain in the butt to update the songs that's all (cd-rw's makes it a bit easier tho)
    do they make a 88disc CD changer lol besides a juke box cause thats how many i'll need to burn all my music off

youve got an ipod??? does it support the radio adaptor for them???

u can get those u know set ur ipod to a radio station then tune it in ur car

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by oniononline View Post
    Hey Jace, thanks alot for your help, I've managed to get it working One more thing I found out that you actually have to ignite your engine, previously I've only turned it to Key Level II with all power up, that wouldn't work.

So the general steps are:
    1) Unplug your battery
    2) Install Icelink
    3) Connect your IPod
    4) Plug your battery back in
    5) Fully ignite your engine and let the motor running for a while
    6) Press AUX/CD a few times just like Jace said
    7) Enjoy
    LOL I think there are just a few weird kinks but overall, considering the price, it's a worthy addition to the car if you don't want to go all the way with replacing the headunit with the double DIN dash and aftermarket HU. It works really well with the steering wheel controls too- the only real quirk for me is sometimes when I turn on the car, the iPod keeps turning on/off (so it essentially 'skips') for a couple of seconds; and sometimes the Next-track button on the steering wheel (when in iPod-UI mode) doesn't work so I need to press Prev-track before the Next-track button works. Oh and I used to have my Icelink set to always charge the iPod even after the car is turned off; big nono since this can make the iPod friggin hot in Summer!

As for your power thing though, my iPod works when the car is in the standby/Power-on (but engine not running) mode. Weird lol~

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    do they make a 88disc CD changer lol besides a juke box cause thats how many i'll need to burn all my music off

youve got an ipod??? does it support the radio adaptor for them???

u can get those u know set ur ipod to a radio station then tune it in ur car
    With prices of those new iPod Classics so cheap, and even cheaper if you're a uni/high school student, it's hard to justify installing a normal CD changer when the iPod adaptor + an iPod Classic can leave you with literally thousands of hours of music.
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2006
    I just bought a Neolink and ipod touch will let you guys know how it goes when i get it some time next week

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    JaCe it looks like you are having similar problems with the IceLink that I had. I also had an iPod Video attached and it was such a headache getting the thing to work properly all the time.

Bought a Neo Prolink like Frost, its been perfect for months now.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2006
    Neolink has no problems so far and i wont go back to CDs, its far too good.

Only thing it doesnt display the name of songs its playing either then that everything is in good tact.

Hi, there,
    That sounds really good. I bought an ICE LInk for my Euro.

How did you manage to navigate the menus for the Dension (like to control Ipod output voltage, album mode and so forth)?

I tried pressing the >>, <<, FF and RR buttons when the head deck is
    1) CD-C
    2) on CD 6

Please help...

If you can perhaps scan/ take a photo of your user manual, that would be really helpful

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JaCe View Post
    LOL I think there are just a few weird kinks but overall, considering the price, it's a worthy addition to the car if you don't want to go all the way with replacing the headunit with the double DIN dash and aftermarket HU. It works really well with the steering wheel controls too- the only real quirk for me is sometimes when I turn on the car, the iPod keeps turning on/off (so it essentially 'skips') for a couple of seconds; and sometimes the Next-track button on the steering wheel (when in iPod-UI mode) doesn't work so I need to press Prev-track before the Next-track button works. Oh and I used to have my Icelink set to always charge the iPod even after the car is turned off; big nono since this can make the iPod friggin hot in Summer!

As for your power thing though, my iPod works when the car is in the standby/Power-on (but engine not running) mode. Weird lol~

With prices of those new iPod Classics so cheap, and even cheaper if you're a uni/high school student, it's hard to justify installing a normal CD changer when the iPod adaptor + an iPod Classic can leave you with literally thousands of hours of music.

ICE LINK install video on Euro Lux ...

ICE LINK install video on Euro Lux ...

Installed mine last weekend. Here's a video..
    the audio head unit in aust is located in such a way that you don't need a mirror (like the ACURAs in the US).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebOwnOJi0o

Anybody has a PDF of the manual? I can't seem to navigate in the DENSION ICE LINK manual when I have the head unit on CD -6 . Kept using the >>| and <<| but no go...

Quote Originally Posted by JaCe View Post
    I just wanted to post this because I felt that this seller on eBay deserved a bit of praise. I bought the Dension Icelink Plus off him for around $100aud (can't remember exact price) including shipping, and the guy (Assaf) continued to provide me with heaps of support via email. Always replying quickly and offering to help in order to make sure I got the correct iPod adaptor for my Civic06.

Anyway, if you're interested- Assaf's store (wholesale_experts_enterprise) is http://myworld.ebay.com.au/wholesale_experts_enterprise ... and for Civic06, I bought the same model as that in the Accord Euro;

"DENSION ICE LINK PLUS Sys. for APPLE IPOD, I20-HONDA-R3"
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130119000059

I would like to add some warnings to prevent surprises though..

1. He sells the Active Cradle model for 3G/4G/Mini iPods- which means it's designed to be mounted in the dash. On the Civic06 there's nowhere nice to mount it so I ended up leaving it in the centre console but it's not perfect.

2. I'm not sure if it'll fit the 5G Video iPods since they are wider than the old 4G ones correct? I'm using my old iPod Mini in it, and I think a Nano should work since it's basically a dock connector with a shelf around it. Anything smaller than 4G iPod will work; and it comes with an iPod Mini adaptor to make it fit snug.

EDIT: Turns out my 5G iPod Video (30gb) does work fine however due to the size of the iPod Video, it means you have to take off any cases you may have and also, it might be advisable to put a small piece of foam between the iPod itself and the cradle (as the cradle is quite deep- designed for the older iPods before they became slimmer); but even without it, it works fine as I realised today! It's also possible to view Videos on it when using the iPod UI mode! Wow... now I'm even considering a small LCD screen with the video output cables for my iPod =]

3. On the Honda Civic 06 factory HU, the interface is a bit weird since to change discs you use 1 and 4 (Disc +/Disc -) rather than the 1-6 keys... there's a setting in the menu about this but I can't get it to do anything. It's also a bit awkward to use the Dension interface when you're mucking around with settings because our Next Track and Fast-Forward buttons are the same (you just hold it down) so don't expect to navigate the menus/playlists too well without using iPod interface mode (ie. use the iPod as normal with the only car-integration features being next/previous track). However, if you set up your playlists correctly (i.e. the first 5 playlists on your ipod are the ones you want in the car), it works quite well because you can switch playlists as if they were discs in the stacker.

4. When switching to AUX mode, you need to double-press the CD/AUX button on the VTi-L/Sport rather than hold it down. You can also use the MODE button on the steering wheel controls if applicable.

5. The Dension iPod adaptor this guy sells is the original one and thus it misses out on some of the features such as user-AUX input (ie. you won't get an AUX-in port).

6. The HU in the Honda doesn't display ID3 tags from the MP3s despite claiming to support CD-text. Not sure why, but that's just the way it is.

Anyway, despite all this, for <$200 (incl installation), I now have an improvised CD-stacker system which will let me update mp3s/playlists on my PC easily and then transfer ot my car. I highly recommend this seller.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask me. Or if you have any tips regarding my little Disc +/- problem (the manual doesn't actually say what this option does in the Settings menu)... please let me know!

I'd also like to thank Marty (fhrx) for providing heaps of advice/support along the way.

Cheers~

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Funnily enough, I happened to find the Icelink manual I downloaded off the official Dension website back in 2007! I've uploaded it to pdfcast.org. Refer to: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/dension-icelink-plus-user-manual

In case the above site goes down, for future reference to anyone searching the internets for this, the Dension Icelink Plus user manual has also been uploaded to: pdf file: icelink_plus_user_manual.pdf
    Last edited by JaCe; 22-12-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.