Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer

Successfully bought/installed iPod Adaptor (Icelink Plus R3) into Civic06 (off eBay!)

I just wanted to post this because I felt that this seller on eBay deserved a bit of praise. I bought the Dension Icelink Plus off him for around $100aud (can't remember exact price) including shipping, and the guy (Assaf) continued to provide me with heaps of support via email. Always replying quickly and offering to help in order to make sure I got the correct iPod adaptor for my Civic06.

Anyway, if you're interested- Assaf's store (wholesale_experts_enterprise) is http://myworld.ebay.com.au/wholesale_experts_enterprise ... and for Civic06, I bought the same model as that in the Accord Euro;

"DENSION ICE LINK PLUS Sys. for APPLE IPOD, I20-HONDA-R3"
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130119000059

I would like to add some warnings to prevent surprises though..

1. He sells the Active Cradle model for 3G/4G/Mini iPods- which means it's designed to be mounted in the dash. On the Civic06 there's nowhere nice to mount it so I ended up leaving it in the centre console but it's not perfect.

2. I'm not sure if it'll fit the 5G Video iPods since they are wider than the old 4G ones correct? I'm using my old iPod Mini in it, and I think a Nano should work since it's basically a dock connector with a shelf around it. Anything smaller than 4G iPod will work; and it comes with an iPod Mini adaptor to make it fit snug.

EDIT: Turns out my 5G iPod Video (30gb) does work fine however due to the size of the iPod Video, it means you have to take off any cases you may have and also, it might be advisable to put a small piece of foam between the iPod itself and the cradle (as the cradle is quite deep- designed for the older iPods before they became slimmer); but even without it, it works fine as I realised today! It's also possible to view Videos on it when using the iPod UI mode! Wow... now I'm even considering a small LCD screen with the video output cables for my iPod =]

3. On the Honda Civic 06 factory HU, the interface is a bit weird since to change discs you use 1 and 4 (Disc +/Disc -) rather than the 1-6 keys... there's a setting in the menu about this but I can't get it to do anything. It's also a bit awkward to use the Dension interface when you're mucking around with settings because our Next Track and Fast-Forward buttons are the same (you just hold it down) so don't expect to navigate the menus/playlists too well without using iPod interface mode (ie. use the iPod as normal with the only car-integration features being next/previous track). However, if you set up your playlists correctly (i.e. the first 5 playlists on your ipod are the ones you want in the car), it works quite well because you can switch playlists as if they were discs in the stacker.

4. When switching to AUX mode, you need to double-press the CD/AUX button on the VTi-L/Sport rather than hold it down. You can also use the MODE button on the steering wheel controls if applicable.

5. The Dension iPod adaptor this guy sells is the original one and thus it misses out on some of the features such as user-AUX input (ie. you won't get an AUX-in port).

6. The HU in the Honda doesn't display ID3 tags from the MP3s despite claiming to support CD-text. Not sure why, but that's just the way it is.

Anyway, despite all this, for <$200 (incl installation), I now have an improvised CD-stacker system which will let me update mp3s/playlists on my PC easily and then transfer ot my car. I highly recommend this seller.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask me. Or if you have any tips regarding my little Disc +/- problem (the manual doesn't actually say what this option does in the Settings menu)... please let me know!

I'd also like to thank Marty (fhrx) for providing heaps of advice/support along the way.

Cheers~
    Last edited by JaCe; 18-06-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: iPod Video (5G) works!

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Just thought I'd post some pics of the install with the iPod Mini. I'll take some of the 5G Video one day~

And a bonus shot of my naked Civic;

Member Array
    Car:
    2008 Hyundai i30 CRDi
    glad it worked for ya

atm i'm running off 2 mp3 cd's, slot 1 has artists a-k and slot 2 has artists l-z. my ipod stores all of these at one time obviously but i think i can live with cd's for now...

just a pain in the butt to update the songs that's all (cd-rw's makes it a bit easier tho)

I would have fainted if i saw the "And a bonus shot of my naked Civic" picture happen to my car. I wont be able to open my eyes when i get my dash kit put in

Member Array
    Car:
    2008 Hyundai i30 CRDi
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimian View Post
    I would have fainted if i saw the "And a bonus shot of my naked Civic" picture happen to my car. I wont be able to open my eyes when i get my dash kit put in
    jace's naked civic is nothing compared to my 'skirt lifting' civic: http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dyn88zt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chylld View Post
    jace's naked civic is nothing compared to my 'skirt lifting' civic: http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dyn88zt.jpg
    Stop adding to my nightmare . Its not as bad as Jaces cos the carpet wont be lifted when i install my dash. Maybe when i install my amps and subs, thats what i will see

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    How do you propose to install the dash without removing the existing one?

If it helps, you have to undo it from the driver's side and work your way from driver's side to passenger (but you need to remove the glove box yourself first).

Quote Originally Posted by JaCe View Post
    How do you propose to install the dash without removing the existing one?

If it helps, you have to undo it from the driver's side and work your way from driver's side to passenger (but you need to remove the glove box yourself first).
    What im saying is i wont be able to look when they dismantle my dash to install the kit. Your picture is only half of it and its giving me nightmares

Member Array
    Car:
    2008 Hyundai i30 CRDi
    jace u should rename this thread to shimian-naked-dash-phobia!

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Just thought I'd bump this in case any of the newbies are wondering what iPod adaptor to buy for the Civic06/07.

Like your nice n clean neon setup there

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by clem View Post
    Like your nice n clean neon setup there
    Thanks. I removed it though and am now just using the Honda accent lighting kit; but it isn't anywhere near as bright as the aftermarket neons. On the upside though, it's no longer glary at night.