Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Civic VTI-L

8th Gen Civic - Concerns on fuel economy

I'm looking at purchasing a VTI-L very soon, and one of the factors that influenced my decision was its fuel economy (compared with its competitors in Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla). Honda lists the VTI/VTI-L manual economy figure at 6.9l/100km. I understand that these figures are likely to be higher, but many of the reviews I read mentioned that the Honda figure was very close (real-world perhaps more like 7.1). I've seen many around here indicate a MUCH higher figure, even after breaking the engine in - figures like 9 - 12l/100km are very disheartening.

I'm coming from a 93 EB Ford Falcon with LPG fitted, so I understand the Civic's economy won't match LPG, but it shouldn't be that big of a difference. I get around 350km on a 60 litre tank of LPG, Civic owners are saying they get around 400km on a 50 litre tank of ULP (a much more expensive prospect).

Can anyone shed light on this? I was under the impression the Civic was one of the best cars in terms of fuel economy (for the price).

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    really depends on how you drive whether you floor it or not, but just for everyday normal driving the fuel economy is pretty good. it is def not 12/100km. it more like 7-7.5/100km maybe. anyway you wont go wrong with fuel economy. but i the 8th gen seems to have a few factory problems, one of them is the driver side window stuffing up. however honda will fix it with your warranty. people on hear have listed alot of other problems to which i have not experienced except window problems. if your able to deal with these issues, the civic is a nice car for you.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    driving habits can increase your consumption up to 40%.

it is one of the best cars for fuel economy, but you need to learn how to drive economically.

with my integra, I can get 350 for a tank or 500, depending on how i drive.

i used around 9-10/100k with my Sports (Auto) and its a mix of city & highway drive...

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    firstly LPG equipped cars do consume the same amount of fuel or even more.
    but the LPG itself is cheaper so it may seem so.
    the civic is a very fuel economic car
    in the end it depends how u drive your car
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Civic VTI-L
    Quote Originally Posted by [[d a n n y]] View Post
    firstly LPG equipped cars do consume the same amount of fuel or even more.
    Yes I realise that, i'm just comparing the $/litre ratio, which is obviously more important when looking at different fuel systems. I can travel about 350km for under $30 (60 litre tank based on LPG prices on < 50cents/litre). I'd be interested in knowing how far people can travel on ULP. It seems to be around 400-450km for around $65 (50 litre tank on approx $1.30/litre), so a fair amount more compared to my LPG tank.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    costs me about a dollar a kilometre.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Civic VTI-L
    Quote Originally Posted by yourfather View Post
    costs me about a dollar a kilometre.
    err, you sure about that?

here is mine everysince I started recording, (2006 Honda Civic VTi-L Auto), no modifications.

you can see it varies alot, I believe the first tank was 80&#37; in the city, 20% highway or less.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord VTi-L
    let's take the worst case scenario..

an 8th gen civic can give you 8/100k (in facts it can vary if you do the city driving, you can get up to 10/100k)
    while the lpg-fitted car can give you 15/100k

so

if you need to do 100k, the civic will cost you:
    the civic will cost you: 8 litres x $1.25 = $10
    while the lpg-fitted car will cost you: 15 litres x $0.50 = $7.50

Conclusion:
    there is NO way you can beat the lpg...only toyota prius with its hybrid machine can match the lpg so far.
    Wood grain
    Reverse Parking Sensor
    LED Head Light
    LED Tail Light

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bond View Post
    there is NO way you can beat the lpg...only toyota prius with its hybrid machine can match the lpg so far.
    not even Civic Hybrid? Dang!!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Civic VTI-L
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bond View Post
    I realise that, but i'm happier with your figures of 8/100km. I'm more concerned about these figures of 10/100km.