Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1987 Integra SX

'86 Integra speedo cable

Hi guys, I'm a noobie to these great forums and was just wondering if anyone out there could give me a rundown on how to replace the speedo cable on my '86 Integra SX myself? Any help would be hugely appreciated and please keep it simple as I'm definitely no mechanic! Cheers...

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    there is no way to keep it simple. if you are unsure or dont understand then take it to a mechanic

remove your cluster. ( the thing that has all the gueages and lights in it ). this involves removing screws to and surrounds to get to it.

then from under the hood locate the cable and follow it to the gearbox, you pull up the cover and remove the cable lock pin. pull the cable up and out g the gearbox.

you should be able to undo the cable from the back of the cluster by pressing down in the plastic clip. then pull it through the firewall and fit the new one in revers.

what do you need to replace the cable ?

use the above info at your own risk. I nor ozhonda take any resonibility if you **** up.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1987 Integra SX
    Hey, thanks Ecu-Man! That's a great help, I'll have a look and see if I think I can handle it. I'm replacing the cable as my speedo just died suddenly while I was driving last week. Cheers again and happy Honda'ing...

Car:
    twin GX160's
    just check 1st that it hasnt poped out from the gearbox drive or from the back of the cluster.

the cables dont usually give any troubles

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1987 Integra SX
    Will do, thanks again! Is thjat the most likely cause of for the speedo dying?

Car:
    twin GX160's
    yup....

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    i changed mine all by my self, betweeen the firewall and the gear box, you will find the cable running into the gear box, simply pull back the rubber likecondom on the clip that is on the gear box, take out the clip, with some pointy nose pliers, and slowly pull the cable out of its housing........
    then simply slide the new one in until it clicks onto the cluster and back into the gear box and re use the factory clip to hold it onto the gear box and away you go........
    its easy
    mate the mechanic will charge you heaps oif labor for a 20min job
    honestly, you dont even have rto takwe out the cluster......

Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    i changed mine all by my self, betweeen the firewall and the gear box, you will find the cable running into the gear box, simply pull back the rubber likecondom on the clip that is on the gear box, take out the clip, with some pointy nose pliers, and slowly pull the cable out of its housing........
    then simply slide the new one in until it clicks onto the cluster and back into the gear box and re use the factory clip to hold it onto the gear box and away you go........
    its easy
    mate the mechanic will charge you heaps oif labor for a 20min job
    honestly, you dont even have rto takwe out the cluster......
    awesome!... my one died awhile ago on my gen1... will fix it now!

mine was making a funny whiring noise before it went.. i hope it is just loose..

where did you ge tthe replacement cable and price?.

next time your under your car could you take a pic of it.. cheers!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    if i still had my car i would take pick, its easy as, from the driverside lookinto the bah and there is a cable from fire wall leading into the top of the gear box, puyll back the rubber cover/gromet on the gear box, take of the clip and out it comes.
    i paid $40 from repco, but you can get them genuin from honda for like $60

speedo cables are avalible through honda it retails for $78.02 they are not that hard to do so if you can pick your nose this shouldnt give you to much trouble

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    oyeahas15 -
    did you have to be so exact with the price???
    plus i can get it for $60 coz my best mate is a mechanic at honda.................

took my cable out yesterday form the gearbox.. it was pretty dirty and had what looked like rust on it...is this normal?

do you guys greese it before you put it back in your gbox?

didnt have a chance to see if it fixed the problem?.

i manually turned the cable and it sort of made a squeeky sound..

any comments?