Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi 2003

Needing CVT fluid flush - confronting local dealer?

i'd hoping to revive the thread RE: Shuddering Jazz/CVT issues as ive been experiencing the exact shuddering/jerking actions from my 2003 jazz. I've neglected it a bit as its been ongoing for a month and now taking steps into finding out whats wrong without getting ripped off. From reading all the related posts, i'm almost certain that all it needs is a good flush however I'm not keen on going back to honda service centres. I'm the second owner and I've since had each service at a honda service centre until i was being jibbed. They will remain un-named however they told me i needed to replace my horn (which I found really funny as i knew it was working before i got it serviced). i then took it to another honda centre and they said the exact same thing. They quoted $30 or so dollars, which is no big deal but i questioned how damanged it was so I had my friend take a look and all he did was connect wires and it was miraculously working again!!

anyway getting off track now.. back on the cvt. i called around and brighton honda quoted $94.50 for the 4ltre bottle. so on the weekend i strolled down to another honda thinking it would apply to all honda centres but i was wrong. they told me it wasnt available for the public and if it needed a tranny change then they would need to do it at $240 a pop!! i dont know if the rules are different for each centre or if i was getting rolled cos im a girl but i cant trust them any of them. i dont want to go to a non-honda shop so i may be forced to go, knowing that they've already tried to cheat me for a measley $30.

What do you guys think I should do? Go back and just pay it? Buy the fluid and get my boy to do it? - which brings up another question. If Honda were to action this, other than flushing my system, do they also use their special computer tools to recalibrate my system??

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    thought the CVT fluid was not avaliable to the general public, if you can buy it go for it just make sure it is the CVT fluid instead of ATF fluid.
    Generally the CVT fluid is expensive as hell from what I heard. The procedure is the same as changing the trans fluid and possible prompt an ECU reset -> calibration of the cvt is required but I'm told by claymore it can be done by driving 10 minutes at a given speed.
    Why hello there

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    Honda CVT are very sensitive to the oils..

i suggest you to get OEM HONDA CVT. had problems with some jazz when changing after market oil. it clogged up on the oil holes. and car wont drive well.
    oil wont flow happens too.

Is not that expensive from Honda dealer for its CVT oil.
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    It is available and worth looking for a dealer that sells it, the stuff has been developed to cure the problem and several people have reported that it does just that. For the easy way to do the recalibration (It's in the manual and Honda approved) just accelerate to 40 MPH (about 60KPH) then release the gas pedal (check behind you for other cars following) let it coast down to walking speed then do it again twice and your CVT should be calibrated.
    Are you sure about this? sounds the same as that bs gear lever N > P > D > whatever.

I had my CVT fixed under warranty. All they did was drain the existing ATF-Z1 (red coloured fluid) and replaced with the proper golden coloured Honda CVT fluid. Drive around and then then drain that and replace it with a final 4L of CVT fluid. The proper CVT fluid is being brought into Australia in 4L containers (finally) and is around $80 a container.

I'd take my dog to a Honda dealer if I wanted him put down otherwise I'd take my car to an honest mechanic that doesn't try to sell elbow grease or headlight fluid.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    dude what grass are you smoking? CVT fluid is a thin oil and light pink in colour not gold that's most likely MTF or oil . If you have a case of severe shudder as you may have it would, a service would be as followed:

drain current trans fluid.
    replace with CVT -> drive a good round (still should have a little bit of shudder)
    Drain CVT fluid
    Replace with fresh CVT oil
    Reset ECU
    Calibrate Transmission
    Done!

I've tried giving a good flush so I would not need to refill x2 but you will still get a little shudder, not noticeable straight away but let the oil heat up and you should feel it come back not as bad as first.
    Why hello there

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi 2003
    thanks guys. i took it in and they tell me that nothing is wrong with my car. they didnt change the cvt fluid either. im just wondering how they could tell that it wasnt a case of changing it??? maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. i'm being paranoid and thinking that they didnt even check my car now. anyway will get a second opinion elsewhere.

can you guys think of anything else that would cause this shuddering? bearing in mind, it only occurs from take off and up to 60-65kms. I ruled out wheel alignment/balance issues. I tried going from 0 and up to 60kms, put it in neutral to see if it still shook and it didn't.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    CVT shudder is usually on acceleration, stand still -> accelerate and you should have a shudder.
    Why hello there

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi 2003
    thanks shadou - im aware thats what the cvt shudder is caused by. however they tell me the cause is definately not due to the transmission, that why i was testing my car in neutral (upon suggestion from another mechanic), another one told me its due to a leaky shocker (would these symptoms be similiar?)...

anyway i dont know enough about cars to say anymore, wish i did so i wouldnt have to deal with this sh@t. now browsing carsales to see what new car would suit me hehehe

Member Array
    Car:
    GE;Civ86,Civ96,
    To ZIPPYJAZZ, I'm sorry to hear about your predicament and your
    unpleasant experience with Car Dealers and ownership of a used Honda Jazz.
    It's a good car once you are acquainted with its maintenance schedule and have
    the CVT problem resolved.

My suggestion:

Bite the bullet and spend the $80+
    on 4L of CVT fluid to rectify the gear shudder.
    Get your BF to flush the tranny. Then follow
    what Claymore suggested you do to reset
    the CVT.

Nothing daunting.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jazcivic; 26-06-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    DREAMS, what don't you understand about it's in the manual????? You think the Honda repair manual is BS???? Try looking in the repair manual and you will find this procedure.
    sorry, excuse my language sir. Mine was reset and calibrated with the tablet pc they have. that is one of the procudure listed.

straight extract from the manual.
    Calibration Procedure with Driving the Vehicle

1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on).

2. Start the engine under no-load conditions, then turn the headlights on.

3. Start off in [D] position, and drive the vehicle until vehicle speed reaches 60 km/h (37 mph), then decelerate the vehicle in more than 5 seconds without pressing the brake pedal to reach completion.

4. Test-drive the vehicle to verify that a problem does not occur on the start clutch control system.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazcivic View Post
    To ZIPPYJAZZ, I'm sorry to hear about your predicament and your
    unpleasant experience with Car Dealers and ownership of a used Honda Jazz.
    It's a good car once you are acquainted with its maintenance schedule and have
    the CVT problem resolved.

My suggestion:

Bite the bullet and spend the $80+
    on 4L of CVT fluid to rectify the gear shudder.
    Get your BF to flush the tranny. Then follow
    what Claymore suggested you do to reset
    the CVT.

Nothing daunting.

Good luck.
    If the tranny is to be flushed (which I would do if it has the dreaded shudder), you are going to need 8 litres of cvtf fluid, not 4 like lots of people are saying!!!