Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Question about 4th Gen H23A vs H22A

Hi guys,

Both my friend and i drive 4th gen ludes. Mine is a H23A and when I tried my friend's H22A, i felt that it had less torque (i think my friend felt the same too) which was really weird. I couldn't really feel the power surge from the VTEC either. From what i know, mine only has intake and a cat-back exhaust mod on it (i bought it like that) and i think he has the same changes. The only difference is that his revs higher than mine which i already knew before trying it out. But power wise, isn't his supposed to be alot better? At least when the VTEC kicks in?

Is his H22A faulty? Cos i've read many forum posts saying how much a H22A is superior to a H23A but i feel differently from my experience. Has anyone else tried the 2 different engines??

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude H22A Turbo
    the h22 should kick the h23's ass no worries.
    ive been in all 3 models....S, Si, and VTi-R and the difference from S>Si, was minimal, but then going to Si>VTi-R was just ridiculous.
    especially after 2nd gear over 5000rpm, the Vti-r will leave the Si standing....

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Theres two types of H23A btw
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    BB6 Prelude
    I seriously doubt that the car was fitted with the EUDM H23A VTEC donk. (Blue top)

If you think there wasn't much difference, then yes, it would seem that there was something wrong with the H22A engine. If there was no cam change at 5100RPM, then the computer has probably disabled the VTEC solenoid for some reason. There could be a number of reasons, the easy ones being loose wire connections and lack of oil in the sump.

Pull a CEL and see what it tells you.
    "The sign of a good quote is that it has inverted commas at each end"
    -Shaun Micallef

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord VTi-L
    H22A has more top end power while H23A has more torque. And yes boosted_andy was right, the H22A will leave the H23A standing..

I even can beat a ford xr6 with my h22a if i hit the vtec :P
    Wood grain
    Reverse Parking Sensor
    LED Head Light
    LED Tail Light

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    i dont fink ur gona be feeling much difference when sitting in the si or vtir.. cuz all ur butt is feeling is the torque.
    but line them up and u'll see that the vtir will leave the si behind.

hmm... i guess ill try dragging it against his one day. cos it really doesnt feel much of a difference to me. i can hear the vtec coming in but there isnt much increase in the torque surge. i mean the h22a isnt an i-vtec, the torque shouldnt be smooth, it should hit u in the face like all other old vtecs.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Vti-R
    hey mate,

all the above is pretty much true. i Used to own a vti-r and my mate had an Si...and i would always kick his arse. get the H22a serviced

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    H22A has more power and sligtly more torque and can reach higher top speeds in different gears. H23A owners would tell you different but I can tell you for a fact the H22A has more power & torque.
    Last edited by vtek; 06-07-2007 at 08:50 PM.

haha its funny how everyone says the same thing

and yeah its mostly tru!

i have driven a few vtir's n they all go differently, mine even stock would beat my dads! just the way it has been driven over the years

i advise that u service ur honda regularly n then drive the car in vtec for a while. n dont b afraid of the rev limiter...its there for a reason

my h22 has a stock bottom end n i rev it to 8200 all day long

but yes the h23 does have a slightly fatter torque curve...n in theory a h22 should beat the h23 for outright power. provided that its running well

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Vtec crossover should at least be noticeable.....h22a>h23a

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2
    wow... digging up the dead...