Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

brass button clutch - why cant i down shift?

I find that when i down shift on the new brass button clutch it jerks and stutters. I have to rev it first while the clutch is pressed then down shift and it will do it normally.

is that normal with brass button clutches?

I also kind of understand now why they do the initial d foot thingie to keep the revs high when down shifting.

anyways, thanks in advanced guys.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Have you tried double clutching? Also where are you located?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

yeh when i double clutch its fine...

but i never used to do that with my normal clutch

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's weird because if you hold the clutch down and blip the throttle, it doesn't speed up the input shaft. So if that helps your shifting, your clutch might not be disengaging fully. Where is the biting point of your new clutch? Right at the floor or in the middle of travel? Where was the biting point of your old clutch?

the biting point is exactly the same as my old clutch.. everything is great, its definately stronger and faster, but its just not down shifting properly unless i

rev first then down shift..

someone told me that you cant down shift with brass button clutches..

is that right?

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 honda integra
    Yeah you gotta heel and toe it.
    Not sure why something to do with inertia, weight, rev matching....dont know
    But thats the way i down shift on mine or put it in neutral when slowing down most of the time and use the brakes.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by mercury View Post
    the biting point is exactly the same as my old clutch.. everything is great, its definately stronger and faster, but its just not down shifting properly unless i

rev first then down shift..

someone told me that you cant down shift with brass button clutches..

is that right?
    The only difference with regards to shifting is the weight, so the speed at which the input shaft slows down is different to that of a stock clutch. Otherwise it's similar except that a button clutch doesn't let you slip the clutch, it's like an on-off switch while the OEM clutch is like a dimmer switch.

Quote Originally Posted by TEGNO1 View Post
    Yeah you gotta heel and toe it.
    Not sure why something to do with inertia, weight, rev matching....dont know
    But thats the way i down shift on mine or put it in neutral when slowing down most of the time and use the brakes.
    what brand is your brass button clutch?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Whats it like when taking off from stand still? Does is shudder as well?

Of course if the blip the throttle its is fine. Your matching the revolutions more.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 honda integra
    Dont know what brand last time i looked it was orange maybe centerforce and around 1 tone clamping with 5 puck plate.
    Just got to get used to the the quicker take up less room for error.
    I can ride it just a bit.
    Doesnt shutter at all on take off.
    I dont think its any trouble at all just something to get used to but the benefits far outway the cons i think.
    Just blip the throttle with the heel or ball of the foot... if you have enough time , or use nuetral for downshifts .thats what i do.
    Dont worry too much its normal you'l get used to it.
    My opinion only dont quote me.

Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Whats it like when taking off from stand still? Does is shudder as well?

Of course if the blip the throttle its is fine. Your matching the revolutions more.
    taking off is fine...

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    No need to heel and toe to spin the input shaft to match revs, just slide into neutral, blip and engage. It becomes second nature after a while and really doesn't slow down your downshifting.