Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan

Oil leak from inside distributor - ED Civic

Have had this problem for quite sometime (and judging by other engine pics on the forum it must be a common problem), but as it is slowly getting worse what is the best way to getting it fixed i.e. buy a whole dizzy from a wreck or strip it down and replace the bearing/seals ???

inside the dizzy are tou sure ? Or simply from the shaft itself ? There is a small rubber O ring that seals the dizzy shaft to the camshaft - wont cost much from honda.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    I serviced the Civic today and thought I'd clean up the rotor button and the poles inside the cap. When I removed it I was surprised at how much oil was in the cap. From what I was told some time ago I thought I'd be having to press out the shaft and replace the seal/bearing ? If its just an O ring then I'm

sorry i misread ~ there is a bearing on the inside ( look for red/brown dust all thru the cap and rotor housing , and the dizzy should make a squeeking noise too since the bearing is gone)
    Usually mechs wont replace this and ask you to buy a reco'd or a new one - but my local mech acutally pressed out the shaft and did replace the bearing that you speak of. Never noticed any oil on the inside tho.
    Still Try replacing the small O ring on the bottom camshaft plug end and see if that prevents any more oil loss(it should be very cheap)

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Appreciate the help. It may just be the O ring as the inside of the cap is pretty clean and there is no sound coming from it when the engine is running. Do you know what size the O ring is ?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Spoke to a Honda shop today and they said that if the O ring was worn the oil would be coming out from in-between the dizzy and head. They said that it's the seal and that Honda do not make a repair kit for it i.e. buy a brand new one arghhhhhhh !
    So back to square one. Does anyone have a solution to this ?

Member Array
    Car:
    GE;Civ86,Civ96,
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Still Try replacing the small O ring on the bottom camshaft plug end and
    see if that prevents any more oil loss(it should be very cheap)
    Yes.. try what Bennjamin suggested first.
    Next alternative is check out 3 of your local Honda Wrecking yard
    for your distributor (>$100+). Yellow pages are a great help.
    Recently I purchased a 1994 Accord distributor(containing igniter & coil)
    for $175(+$25 postage) delivered to the door from a Melbourne Wrecker.
    Two of our local SA wrecking yards wanted $280 & $300.
    Some of them want to get rich too quickly.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Not wrong there. I was quoted $200 for the indicator/wiper switch assembly that was from a wreck (when we turn left our's won't cancel) ! I can cope with turning it off myself. I have bought some bits from a guy in Sydney who offers reasonable prices.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    sounds like the seal in the dizzy after the bearing is leaking, the shaft will probably be worn as well so just changing the seal ( if you can find one ) may not fix it. thats why they quote a complete dizzy.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Can this seal and bearing be purchased from SKF or the like. Surely they must be of a size that would be in their catalogue ?

Member Array
    Car:
    03' GD3->05' GD3->86' EW5
    you should be able to buy the seals from any auto shops for probably a few dollars if you know the size..

i had a corolla seca with the 4age and dizzy leak is quite common with that engine,, most ppl just buy the seals themselves and get their mechanics to change it as toyota doesn't sell the repair kit (which is very similar to your case) so i think maybe you can try that.

i am not 100% sure whether this will work but try ask a few mechanics, pretty sure someone can fix it for ya.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    honda came up with a brilliant idea ( not ) and put a paitent on the bearing in the dizzy.

some people have found a source for them but you never know you might get lucky.