Member Array
    Car:
    08 Euro Lux 6MT

Using VIC registration in NSW from vehicle purchase

Hi All,

I'm from Sydney and I'm interested in buying an interstate car from VIC, the car still has 10+ months on its rego in VIC, if I were to buy this car will I be able to use this in NSW until it expires or will I have to register the vehicle within a period of time after purchase?

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Jazz,05 Civic,06 Civic
    I can't find the exact timeframe on the RTA website atm but you're supposed to transfer it within a certain number of days (e.g. 14 days, 28 days, three months) - sorry I can't be more specific.

Follow the process here for second-hand vehicles currently or previously registered interstate:
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/rego_new.html
    WTB for an '04 Jazz (pre-facelift), PM me if you have:
    - Factory sideskirts (blue)
    - OEM 14" alloys

Member Array
    Car:
    99 WRX
    my brother bought a car wit vic rego. but it had 12 mths rego on it.. and once you transfers it they said he will lose that rego, and will have to go get nsw rego.. so it can be a waste. mayb you can use this to negotiate a better deal on your possible purchase.. and you have 14 days to transfer, otherwise you requre a blue slip etc.
    +1 Rep?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Sport (MY06)
    You will only be able to use the Vic rego, if it is tied to a Vic residential address. Got any family/friends in Vic? Just remember all your speeding tickets will be sent there.

Otherwise you're required to change it asap (3 months i think...).
    Isn't it nice when things just work!

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Jazz,05 Civic,06 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    my brother bought a car wit vic rego. but it had 12 mths rego on it.. and once you transfers it they said he will lose that rego, and will have to go get nsw rego.. so it can be a waste.

It's not a 'waste', because once you cancel the rego in one state, you are usually entitled to a pro-rata refund for the unused portion of the registration fee.
    WTB for an '04 Jazz (pre-facelift), PM me if you have:
    - Factory sideskirts (blue)
    - OEM 14" alloys

Member Array
    Car:
    99 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_dynamite View Post
    It's not a 'waste', because once you cancel the rego in one state, you are usually entitled to a pro-rata refund for the unused portion of the registration fee.
    are you able to get a refund on the green slip? thats the expensive part of rego
    +1 Rep?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_dynamite View Post
    correct!

and from when i moved to canberra from melbourne, you had to re-register your car and change your license to that states if you have stayed there for longer than 3 months. may be different in other circumstances.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^^all true as stated above...

only diff is you have to get it blue slipped again instead of pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    are you able to get a refund on the green slip? thats the expensive part of rego
    Yes, just call up your greenslip provider and fax them a copy of the Plate surrender receipt if the cancellation is not yet in the database.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    do you need to get RWC again in another state for instance in this case where if X buys the car from vic with rego and RWC, brings it back to NSW where he has to re rego can he use the RWC from vic or does he have to re check in his own state?? or am i totally lost?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by quangsta View Post
    do you need to get RWC again in another state for instance in this case where if X buys the car from vic with rego and RWC, brings it back to NSW where he has to re rego can he use the RWC from vic or does he have to re check in his own state?? or am i totally lost?
    Not sure for going from VIC to NSW. But if you came from NSW to VIC, then yes you will need a new RWC.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2