Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Go top of the range shocks with nice springs, instead of super cheap coilovers.

I got koni yellows shipped from the states for $690 all up! If your interested let me know and ill tell you where to get them. Theyd be cheaper now too with our very strong exchange rate.

Say $300 for good springs and your $100 under budget.
    Or even better, ground control coilovers with custom rate eibach springs.
    Just got mine shipped from the states for $454 (rember it would now be cheaper with the current exchange rate), so $1144 all up for my Koni/custom ground control setup, Probably $1100 with the better current exchange rate. This would be cheaper by $55 or so if i went with ground controls "off the shelf" rates, instead of custom spring rates.

Benifits of going with excelent springs/shocks instead of cheap coilovers.
    1. Life expectancy. If your lucky, youll get 2 years or so of use from a set of cheap coilovers. People have been running the same koni yellows for 10+ years without problems. Koni yellows come with a lifetime warranty, there built to last!

2. Coilovers around the $1100 mark are basically throw away items. When a single shock blows, its time to throw the set away, not worth rebuilding, if they can even be rebuilt.
    With a supurb spring/shock combo, if you have an issue with one of the shocks simple, replace the single shock, or simply have it rebuilt/serviced, instead of forking out for a complete new suspension setup.

3. No choise of spring rate with cheap coilovers, you get what they give. Imported coilovers are often oversprung for our australian roads. Theres no option to change springs if your unhappy with the ride.
    With a spring/shock combo, you can easily change springs if you want to alter the ride quality. This is one of the reasons i went with the ground control coilovers and springs, i can order pairs of eibach springs for $69US in any stiffness i want!

4.Theres tons of support here in australia for servicing koni shocks. Very little support for cheap jap/taiwan coilovers. Most cant be rebuilt or serviced anyway.

Performance of good shocks like koni's, is much greater than the performance of shocks in coilovers around your budget, theres plenty of shock dynos out there to show this. Great shocks with quality springs = better product than any coilovers with average shocks. All cheap coilovers have average or less than average shocks.

IMO Springs and shocks, untill your planned to spend over $2000 on coilovers.

I vote for the bellow, ITS IN YOUR BUDGET

Last edited by Muzz; 10-07-2007 at 10:19 PM.
    Back from the dead

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by civic_99 View Post
    But where would I get koni's?
    http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1358618
    Cheapest youl ever find!
    $450US for the konis, $124US for shipping
    $574US = $667AU

I got mine for $690 about 2 weeks ago, when the exchange rate was weaker.
    Great company, they check there emails on a daily basis and are very frendly, contact by email if you cant PM on honda-tech, tell them Muzz sent ya!
    Back from the dead

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    Muzz, are you saying that my tein flex which I got for 1,200 plus shipping are throw away items, aren't adjustable and are oversprung for australian roads?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 4DR' 99
    where did u get em?

Quote Originally Posted by yourfather View Post
    Muzz, are you saying that my tein flex which I got for 1,200 plus shipping are throw away items, aren't adjustable and are oversprung for australian roads?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    thats a good price for flex i'ld say but you must remember if you're up for a daily drive not all may be the bump warrior
    Team SpeedStar

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    my vote koni's with some ncie springs.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    Quote Originally Posted by scyt7e View Post
    thats a good price for flex i'ld say but you must remember if you're up for a daily drive not all may be the bump warrior
    depends on how soft you set it too.

its only unbearable if you have it on ultra firm on shit roads.

otherwise, on a nice smooth tarmac, its beautiful

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    WOW $1200 for flex? Where did you get that from, i thought they were more in the $2100+ range.
    Im guessing thats from the US, so probably $1400 after shipping which is well out of budget.
    What rates are the flex?

Anyways you know what i mean, you cant clasify tein flex in the $1100 range of coilovers. Im talking about the super cheap coilovers that retail around here for about $1100.
    Last edited by Muzz; 11-07-2007 at 09:19 AM.
    Back from the dead

remember labour is about $100-$250 , depending on where you take it (local DIY backyard guy or proper workshop).
    So , that might be included in your budget or not (lets assume not since you worded it that way)

+1 vote for koni yellows , preferably imported from a US EBAY or similar seller for a good price (local is still abit too much) + eibach sportline springs.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Im about to my first sussy install this weekend, how long does it usually take you to do bennjamin? Do you recon i can get it all done in one day?
    Last edited by Muzz; 11-07-2007 at 09:23 AM.
    Back from the dead

*offtopic*

i hope so lol.
    If you arent taking the shocks apart its quite easy.
    Get a range of sockets(plus ratchet)+ spanners incl. 10,12,14,17mm and 19mm. A breaker bar is good too. Plus 2 jackstands and a good jack.
    maybe 3-4 hrs without any major hiccups?

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    *offtopic*

i hope so lol.
    If you arent taking the shocks apart its quite easy.
    Get a range of sockets(plus ratchet)+ spanners incl. 10,12,14,17mm and 19mm. A breaker bar is good too. Plus 2 jackstands and a good jack.
    maybe 3-4 hrs without any major hiccups?
    3-4 hrs!!! I swap all 4 shocks out in under about an hour to hour and a half.

Very easy.
    Front:
    1) Loosen pinch bolt, LCA Bolt and top mounting Bolts, size 14, 17, 14 respectively.
    2) Pull shock out
    3) Put new shock in and do the LCA Bolt, Top Mount and Pinch Bolt.
    Done!

Rear:
    1) Loosen Top mounting bolts, LCA bolts and possible the LCA to trailing arm bolt.
    2) Pull shock out and put in new ones
    3) Just bolt everything up to order.
    Done!!!

But Ok, if you're swapping the top mounts then it could take up to 3 hours. :-p
    Last edited by e240; 11-07-2007 at 09:44 AM.