Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Etanol fuel

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    When I was having my EJ1, I notice that the engine likes 95 RON better.... you might want to test that out.

With the Euro, I try to use Caltex 98 or VPower 98... sometimes no choice have to use those 95 RON.

I think some old engines perform better with leaded petrol too....
    I also use Caltex 98.Notice a bit of diff. between 98 v 95.Not sure if its in the mind.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mville station + 423 bus
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    the way i look at it , you have a newish car (assume paid / paying big money for it) -

why scamp on its fuel ?

i have a 13 yr old civic but i use nothing but 98 octane So treat it well
    what he said, treat your car like yourself you wouldnt want to be eating cheap dirty food would you ? =) my car eats better petrol then i eat my own food =/

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ATT41 - Black 6speed Euro
    I use EGEN (10% ethanol), I didn't change to ethanol to save 3c but it is apparently healthier for the environment. Higher consumption rate (ZOMG extra $1 per week!) + loss of power (ZOMG 20 seconds late!) > environment?

I admit I could do more for the environment but believe it or not, every little bit does help.

lol i sound like such a hippie haha.

Member Array
    Car:
    SloEur
    Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    Anyone use Etanol E10 fuel for the Euro?? Cheap cheap cheap fuel
    the E10Ron95 sucks. car is lethargic and if u do more city driving, the fuel consumption is surprisingly bad. i used abt 10-15% more fuel on E10ron95 then on the normal ron95.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by cutchorama View Post
    I use EGEN (10% ethanol), I didn't change to ethanol to save 3c but it is apparently healthier for the environment. Higher consumption rate (ZOMG extra $1 per week!) + loss of power (ZOMG 20 seconds late!) > environment?

I admit I could do more for the environment but believe it or not, every little bit does help.

lol i sound like such a hippie haha.
    Actually, E10 fuel takes more energy to produce and also produces more greenhouse gases in the process. The fermentation produces CO2, while the refining of ethanol from the resulting mulch uses a lot of heat. The heat is generated either from electricity generated from coal burning (which produces pollution and greenhouse gases) or from direct heating by burning the remaining dried husk from the sugar cane, which also produces pollution (black smoke) and greenhouse gases).

The valid reason for E10 is that there is less tax on it for that 10% of ethanol. Those savings, you won't see much of it in the end when you are paying at the bowser.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Alcohol does take more energy to create mainly because it is a renewable energy source, unlike oil. ethanol.org, Science Journal January 2006 claims that burning of ethanol emits a similar net amount of carbon dioxide but less carbon monoxide than gasoline. Carbon monoxide is the toxic pollution that cars and trucks give off. The CO2 (carbon dioxide) is needed for trees and plants for photosynthesis which creates more fruit to ferment.

I know too much carbon dioxide is bad for the environment but so is carbon monoxide.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Alcohol does take more energy to create mainly because it is a renewable energy source, unlike oil. ethanol.org, Science Journal January 2006 claims that burning of ethanol emits a similar net amount of carbon dioxide but less carbon monoxide than gasoline. Carbon monoxide is the toxic pollution that cars and trucks give off. The CO2 (carbon dioxide) is needed for trees and plants for photosynthesis which creates more fruit to ferment.

I know too much carbon dioxide is bad for the environment but so is carbon monoxide.
    But in Australia, they are using electricity produced from coal to produce that ethanol. So a non-renewable source is still being consumed.

I don't see enough trees being planted in areas where most of the traffic occurs (in the city). Carbon dioxide isn't going to transfer itself to areas with sufficient trees.

Carbon monoxide is also produced during coal burning. In fact, more carbon monoxide is produced to make your 50 or so litres of E10 fuel than the amount saved by using E10 instead of pure petrol.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    **** it, im buying a smart car lol

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's all propaganda. The reason why they are pushing for E10 is because it is taxed less. That means lower cost and higher profits for the oil companies. If they quote Brazil as a successful implementation of ethanol fuel (E85 there), it's false, because there is a shortage of E85. Why? Because the farmers rather sell their cane sugar to consumable alcohol producers for more profit!

Don't worry about how E10 will save the world. Enjoy your car, but don't go overboard by buying a car that consumes fuel like air.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    But like all new things, technology develops. Instead of using fossil fuels to ferment the alcohol solar, wind or water energy could be used, just alot more starting expenses. If it wasn't a negative sum energy would you use it then?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    If your going to use ethanol fuel, only use good branded fuels like shell or BP... United don't blend their ethanol fuel correctly, so it separates in your tank, totally screws your engine... Just some advice

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    But like all new things, technology develops. Instead of using fossil fuels to ferment the alcohol solar, wind or water energy could be used, just alot more starting expenses. If it wasn't a negative sum energy would you use it then?
    That's the thing. In other countries, they use renewable resources or nuclear power to produce electricity. Over here, we're still coal-powered, so it makes no sense saying that ethanol produces less carbon monoxide/carbon dioxide when it clearly does produce more of those gases during production. I reckon it's misleading.