Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Accord Euro 07

switching to tip-tronic

hey guys, i was wondering if its ok to switch to tiptronic mode anytime while driving?

i've just heard from some ppl that switching while the car is moving isn't good for the gearbox or something? and that it's best to be done when the car is not moving. is there any truth in that? or can we switch to tip tronic as many times as we like whenever we like?

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Mville station + 423 bus
    i switch it to triptronic whenever especially if i need to overtake people on highways.
    i dont see a problem in switching it while driving.
    just make sure shift gears properly and dont red line it.
    your car is still new wait til youve done about 10,000kms or something when the engine has matured.

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Any time is fine. I wouldn't do it as the box was about to change gears on it's on though (in D).
    Jazz: stock, K&N panel filter.
    120 Series Prado GXL Petrol: Pacemaker extractors, Dual 2 1/4" exhaust, 70 series MT STZ's, ARB non-winch bullbar, snorkel, Dimpled and slotted rotors.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro lxry
    Yep you can change anytime any situation but take r-r-redEuro's advice on the 10,000 klm mark for red lining....hehe....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Accord Euro 07
    hehe thanks for the answers

i don't think i have red-lined my car yet. its on about 700km right now.

i've come close to red lining it. i think 6000 rpms in 2nd gear but i've never actually gone into the red line so hopefully it should be ok hehe.

but i found i often just switch to tiptronic just for fun for like 10 seconds then back to D. thats why i was getting worried if it was bad for the car hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    High revving a new engine can help seat the piston rings better, resulting in longer engine life and better performance. Hitting VTEC once or twice a day is fine, I wouldnt redline it to the fuel cutoff point though, until 10,000.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro lxry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragerunner View Post
    hehe thanks for the answers

i don't think i have red-lined my car yet. its on about 700km right now.

i've come close to red lining it. i think 6000 rpms in 2nd gear but i've never actually gone into the red line so hopefully it should be ok hehe.

but i found i often just switch to tiptronic just for fun for like 10 seconds then back to D. thats why i was getting worried if it was bad for the car hehe

Absolutely nothing to worry about with the trip tronic I use mine all the time, i use it like you would a manual.....gearing down more often when approaching light etc....was a bit funny at first but now i'm use to it.....takes a bit to get use to it at first

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro Luxury
    i use my trip tronic all the time. cant get enough of it. especially when im about to overtake someone. enjoy.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The tiptronic is electronic, so you won't damage it by switching it from D while moving. If you do it when cruising, you'll notice that there is no mechanical change. If you have gone to 6000rpm already, nothing is stopping you from going to 7000rpm. Just be sensible and don't linger at that high RPM range for long since your engine is still new. But squirts up to redline are fine.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    88 Legend Coupe & 05 Euro
    The computer senses your driving style and adapts to it. Pretty simple, you drive like a granny, the car will go like a bag of sh*t.

I red-lined mine the moment I drove it out of the dealership and do so all the time since. Have had no problems at all and it seems as though it is rev-happy all the time. I guess its because it has adapted to my driving style but each to their own.
    88 Legend Coupe dumped on 19's & 05 Euro Luxury dumped on 20's

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by ZYL11A View Post
    The computer senses your driving style and adapts to it. Pretty simple, you drive like a granny, the car will go like a bag of sh*t.

I red-lined mine the moment I drove it out of the dealership and do so all the time since. Have had no problems at all and it seems as though it is rev-happy all the time. I guess its because it has adapted to my driving style but each to their own.
    redlining the car all the time wont make it adapt to the constant redlining... whether the engine is brand new, middle of its life, or 100,000kms, redlining it all the time will eventually do damage, if not breaking something, but definately wear alot of parts!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    the auto is boring - you only get 1 gear to high cam or red line in before you reach 100km/ph